Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

constant depth, tapered wing?

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

constant depth, tapered wing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 06:26 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: constant depth, tapered wing?

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

It will be interesting to see how well you are able to stay under the 28 oz goal with plug in wing panels.
I usually build the fin and rudder out of sticks...but choose light 1/8'' balsa sheet for the stab / elevator. I'll use 1/8'' aluminum brazing rod bent into a U shape for the elevator half joiner, and just sew it to the stab to support it in the middle. Balsa saw dust soaked with thin CA works in inlay the joiner to the elevator halves.
You have not discovered baking soda?
Old 05-28-2012, 09:19 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If you use aluminium tubing for the joiner be sure it's a "spring temper" aircraft grade. Most aluminium tubing you get is soft and easily bent with very little "spring" to it. A lighter and more sure option would be a large diameter carbon tube. At around 30 oz for AUW a thin wall carbon tube would do just fine given the large diameter that would fit between the spar caps.

The liners in the wings that the tube slips into could be made from rolled paper or similar quite easily for a light but snug slip fit.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:38 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many are 6061T6 - actually 2024 T3/4 is far better