Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Fuel tanks and CG's

Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Fuel tanks and CG's

Old 08-18-2012, 05:05 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel tanks and CG's

Ok lets say I have a plane with a narrow fuselage and have the 16 oz fuel tank mounted over the wing centered on the CG.

When the tank is 1/2 way full will the plane experience drastic CG changes in flight as 8 ounces of fuel swashes back and forth in the tank?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18383.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	1793132  
Old 08-18-2012, 06:19 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fuel tanks and CG's

No, because the fuel can't move very far, so there a very short lever arm. Torque = length of lever arm x weight. As a guess with no calculation, I would think your CG might move a total of 1/16 in. ( That should encourage someone smarter than me to do the actual calculations.) Your vertical CG should move down more noticably as you run out of fuel.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:29 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If it were something odd like a 1/2A long duration model then I'd say that you'd want to have baffles in it to slow down the migration of the fuel. But in your average model that uses such a tank the changes due to fuel sloshing are insignificant among all the rest of the stuff that is going on and the overall weight and size of such a model.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:59 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Note also that you have to think about the center of mass of 8 oz of fuel. It's not running from one end of the tank to the other. It's only moving a few inches withinthe tank.

Now, if you have a leaky float and, when you nose in once clear of the treesto land, say, 10 ounces of water sloshes to the front (ahead of the prop) and suddenly your "up" elevator isn't. That was a noticable CG shift. ;-)