Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Axial rolls

Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Axial rolls

Old 10-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Indiomike
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axial rolls

I have a Seagull Yak 54. I did the maiden flight the other day and have it trimmed for hands off level flight at about two thirds throttle. When the plane does a roll to the right, it is very axial. However, a roll to the left has a sort of corkscrew motion to it. Why does it do that and what do you adjust to correct it?

Thank you....... Mike
Old 10-26-2012, 02:11 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default RE: Axial rolls

Sounds like you just need to practice. I have not encountered this issue with any airplane I have had. Where do you have you aileron differential set?
Old 10-26-2012, 08:20 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You'd be better off posting this question in one of the pattern or other aerobatics models forums. This is more about trimming the model than it is about anything to do with aerodynamics. The guys that know that sort of stuff will tell you to tweak this and that and suddenly the model will be doing fine.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:48 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It is possible that the engine has a little bit of left thrust..which is a total no-no.
I have a simple way to check the engine's thrust line in all axis. It's a 3/8" thick steel plate that bolts to the engine in place of the prop. It allows me to stand the plane on it's nose so that I can take measurements from key points on the airframe down to the table. Of course the table needs to be perfectly flat. A carpenter's square can also help while doing these checks.
Otherwise, if your airframe isn't straight and true you might be able to trim it for straight and level flight that favors a right roll, but not to the left. Go through the simple, step by step trim out procedures that some of the pattern guys have already posted after you have given your plane a real good visual check on a building table.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:48 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

You'd be better off posting this question in one of the pattern or other aerobatics models forums. This is more about trimming the model than it is about anything to do with aerodynamics. The guys that know that sort of stuff will tell you to tweak this and that and suddenly the model will be doing fine.
I agree with BMatthews

However....One quick thing to check is whether your servos are travelling the same amount each way. Making certain that the aileron travel is the same each way is simple to check and should be the first thing one does after installing the servos
Old 10-28-2012, 07:21 PM
Lnewqban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

It is possible that you have a cross trim with the rudder.

Verify a symmetrical throw and a in-line neutral position.