Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

do ailerons provide lift?

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

do ailerons provide lift?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 08:33 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: do ailerons provide lift?

But hey I only have a little over 15,000 hours of flight time. What would I know.  

That makes two of us.  

I'll muddy the waters. Ailerons change the camber of the wing which, when carried beyond a certain point, does spoil lift. I will agree the AOA changes also, so they go hand-in-hand.  
I flew a Robertson STOL (short take-off and landing) Cessna 421 many years ago (thing nearly killed us one day, but that's another story), which had flaperons (!) and Fowler flaps. Ailerons were longer, thinner, and drooped with the first 5-degrees of flap. The first flap movement went straight aft about 20" and, when coupled with the drooped ailerons, added area (flaps) to the wing, and changed the camber (ailerons).

I think this horse is startin' to whinny (we've about beat it to death!). [8D]
Old 01-11-2013, 08:38 PM
IFlyEm35
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: eddieC

But hey I only have a little over 15,000 hours of flight time. What would I know. [img][/img]

That makes two of us.

I'll muddy the waters. Ailerons change the camber of the wing which, when carried beyond a certain point, does spoil lift. I will agree the AOA changes also, so they go hand-in-hand.
I flew a Robertson STOL (short take-off and landing) Cessna 421 many years ago (thing nearly killed us one day, but that's another story), which had flaperons (!) and Fowler flaps. Ailerons were longer, thinner, and drooped with the first 5-degrees of flap. The first flap movement went straight aft about 20'' and, when coupled with the drooped ailerons, added area (flaps) to the wing, and changed the camber (ailerons).

I think this horse is startin' to whinny (we've about beat it to death!). [8D]
I'll go along with camber. And I do agree when it is carried beyond a certain point it will act as a spoiler. But generally a normal operating aileron does not travel to that point.

NOW we can take it a step further and interject the MU-2 and Beechjet into the equation. They have no ailerons at all.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:50 PM
brockettman

ORIGINAL: sensei

ORIGINAL: brockettman

Probably won't work without a wing... It's about the aileron not the wing. Doesn't there have to be some kind of taper or airfoil to create a difference in air pressure? The variation in the tapered aileron might be miniscule, but it still matters, doesn't it?

OOPS! now I'm part of the fire drill!

Ben
Lets see here, it's about the aileron not the wing ha, try to get your head wrapped this, the aileron in fact becomes part of the wing, adding the aileron adds wing area and adding wing area adds lift.

Bob
Thanks Bob
Old 01-11-2013, 08:53 PM
brockettman

Doesn't there have to be some kind of taper or airfoil to create a difference in air pressure? The variation in the tapered aileron might be miniscule, but it still matters, doesn't it?

If that were true, our flat-plate foamies and aircraft with symmetrical airfoils wouldn't fly. Fortunately they never got that memo. Bernoulli isn't everything. Angle of attack also has to be figured in. It's a combination of both.
Thanks EddieC, sounds like wing area is as important to lift as the shape of the wing.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:11 PM
eddieC

NOW we can take it a step further and interject the MU-2 and Beechjet into the equation. They have no ailerons at all.  

[8D] And they're both scary, well, the MU-2 is!

Let's not forget some airliners that use ailerons and spoilers. And some Boeings where the whole wing looks like a Transformer on landing, the whole front & back shape-shift. [X(]
Old 01-11-2013, 10:41 PM
IFlyEm35
My Feedback: (5)

Very true. Every transport jet I have flown has used roll spoilers.

Here is a good look of the flap extension on the 747. A WHOLE LOTA airfoils there! Interesting tidbit there are no slats on the 747. Only flaps.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:34 AM
eddieC

What are the leading-edge devices called? I always thought they were slats. 
The Stinson 108 had slots, and the C177 Cardinal had them on the tail. 
Old 01-12-2013, 03:24 AM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IMO ailerons will provide lift only if they are part of the airfoil of the wing, the chord would be then from the leading edge of the wing to the trailing edge of the aileron.
If the ailerons are flat with no airfoil profile (as on some sports planes and fun fly's), the chord would then be from the leading edge of the wing to the hinge line as the aileron being parallel top and bottom would provide no lift.
When the ailerons are deflected, they alter the direction of airflow which causes the plane to roll. The reason the plane loses altitude is because the lift from the wing is no longer acting directly upwards but at an angle and their isn't sufficient lift acting upwards to maintain altitude. To turn, elevator must be applied which again, alters the direction of airflow moving the tail of the plane which in turn changes the direction of the plane. To prevent loss of altitude the elevator must be applied between the wings being level and at 90 degrees.
The stab will contribute very little to lift in most cases as the majority of models do not have airfoil sections on the stab. The stab/elevator and fin/rudder are primarily to steer the plane.
It was mentioned in an earlier post that if the model pulls to the canopy or belly in a vertical climb, adjust the ailerons up or down to achieve a straight vertical. This would most likely work, but the correct fix is to adjust down thrust on the engine.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:12 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

What are the leading-edge devices called? I always thought they were slats.
The Stinson 108 had slots, and the C177 Cardinal had them on the tail.
They are Krueger flaps, they basically generate more lift when deployed as do slats, but without excessive noise.

Bob
Old 01-12-2013, 06:02 AM
sensei

ORIGINAL: drac1

IMO ailerons will provide lift only if they are part of the airfoil of the wing, the chord would be then from the leading edge of the wing to the trailing edge of the aileron.
If the ailerons are flat with no airfoil profile (as on some sports planes and fun fly's), the chord would then be from the leading edge of the wing to the hinge line as the aileron being parallel top and bottom would provide no lift.

When the ailerons are deflected, they alter the direction of airflow which causes the plane to roll. The reason the plane loses altitude is because the lift from the wing is no longer acting directly upwards but at an angle and their isn't sufficient lift acting upwards to maintain altitude. To turn, elevator must be applied which again, alters the direction of airflow moving the tail of the plane which in turn changes the direction of the plane. To prevent loss of altitude the elevator must be applied between the wings being level and at 90 degrees.
The stab will contribute very little to lift in most cases as the majority of models do not have airfoil sections on the stab. The stab/elevator and fin/rudder are primarily to steer the plane.
It was mentioned in an earlier post that if the model pulls to the canopy or belly in a vertical climb, adjust the ailerons up or down to achieve a straight vertical. This would most likely work, but the correct fix is to adjust down thrust on the engine.
Oh really, go remove an aileron from one side of your wing, then go fly your airplane this way. Now come back and tell us all just how it had no effect on it's flight characteristics, how there was no need for trimming the aileron on the wing that has an aileron of course, thus reducing the LIFT of that wing in order to maintain level flight, or....

Bob
Old 01-12-2013, 06:10 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
Come on! It does'nt mean a thing what the ailerons look like...as long as they are firmly in place on the wing...they add lift! Simple as that!!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:14 AM
Lnewqban

IMHO, the discussion should not spin about removing or not the ailerons to prove their lifting capabilities.

Ailerons modify the lift for the section of the span that they cover by modifying the camber of the airfoil: higher camber = higher coefficient of lift (CL) = more lift = more drag.

In essence, they work on the same principle of the simplest flaps, only that for what they do, less variation of lift is needed.

Copied from http://www.americanflyers.net/aviati.../chapter_4.htm

"Ailerons control roll about the longitudinal axis. The ailerons are attached to the outboard trailing edge of each wing and move in the opposite direction from each other. Ailerons are connected by cables, bellcranks, pulleys or push-pull tubes to each other and to the control wheel.

Moving the control wheel to the right causes the right aileron to deflect upward and the left aileron to deflect downward. The upward deflection of the right aileron decreases the camber resulting in decreased lift on the right wing. The corresponding downward deflection of the left aileron increases the camber resulting in increased lift on the left wing. Thus, the increased lift on the left wing and the decreased lift on the right wing causes the airplane to roll to the right."

To roll a balanced airplane around its longitudinal axis requires much less force than to land slowly.

Whenever you travel in an airliner and have the opportunity to watch the ailerons working, you will see that a dramatic roll can be achieved with minimum ailerons deflection, specially at high speeds.

However, in order to sustain all those tons for landing at lower speeds, huge flaps are extended and deflected big angles.

Regarding the parallel discussion about the need for elevator when ailerons are deflected, I would say that it is not really a direct dependence.

All ailerons do is to induce a lift unbalance, moving the lift force (which keeps the same magnitude) along the wingspan and away from the central line of the fuselage.

Since a half wing lifts more than the other at that moment, a roll is started.
If the ailerons input is not removed, the roll continues all around as long as we keep the input.
If the aileron input is removed after certain angle of bank is achieved, the model remains at that bank (unless the plane has high dihedral, high wing, or any other form of pendulum type weight distribution).

Of course, during a bank or a roll, the lift will become less that the weight anytime that the wing is not parallel to the ground.
How do we keep a plane in level flight during a roll or a bank? - By increasing the AOA of the wing, either with up elevator, rudder or down elevator (depending on the angle of the roll being moderated, knife edge or inverted).

Any airplane in a leveled banked turn is following an horizontal conical trajectory; hence, it needs to have some nose up pitch attitude to follow that cone.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52071.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1839470  
Old 01-12-2013, 07:33 AM
sensei

The initial question was: Do ailerons provide lift in the neutralposition? An aileron = more wing area, and more wing area = lift. Removing on aileron make the point, simple and to the point.

Bob
Old 01-12-2013, 07:37 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting to see how we all evaluate "lift".
Basically, creating a pressure difference on a body will /can produce lift.
A difference in pressure is ALWAYS trying to equalize and the object seperating the different pressure regions, will be moved from higher pressure to lower pressure -
Your hand stuck out the window of a movingcar demonstrates lift.
Airfoils are shaped to provide efficient lift but a flat board also produces lift - very well.
You also do NOT need to bank to do a turn- - but it is an efficient way to do it for many aircraft.
Pushing air down -is a familiar and easily seen explanation .
Do ailerons provide lift?
sure -if you want them to .
but lift and drag are one and the same thing- air pressure at work
You have to decide which you are after .
tiled one way you get increased lift and drag
tilted the other way drag and reduced lift.
trailing evenly with flow over/under the wing, they add area which INCREASES lift.
and drag.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:40 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

These discussions always remind me of the government making laws about things like fuel requirements and medical procedures.  There are so many "experts" that confuse and obfuscate the subject to the point engineers and scientist don't get anything out of it except a good laugh.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:48 AM
sensei

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

These discussions always remind me of the government making laws about things like fuel requirements and medical procedures. There are so many ''experts'' that confuse and obfuscate the subject to the point engineers and scientist don't get anything out of it except a good laugh.

OK, Now that you have jumped on the mound, lets hear your take on it.... Do ailerons provide lift in the neutral position? LOL

Bob
Old 01-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: rmh
Interesting to see how we all evaluate ''lift''.
Exactly !!

Any deflected control surface generates one productive force (lift, rudder yaw, roll, loop, etc.) and a non-productive force (drag).
That productive force, whatever name we give it, cannot exist without the associated non-productive force.

As drag always consumes energy, each control input consumes energy, in form of speed or height.
A good pylon pilot avoids control inputs as much as possible.

You modify the pressure value on both sides of the surface and the airstream reacts against the airframe (re-locating it or re-adjusting its attitude) in order to re-establish balance of pressure.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:39 AM
brockettman

ORIGINAL: Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: rmh
Interesting to see how we all evaluate ''lift''.
Exactly !!

Any deflected control surface generates one productive force (lift, rudder yaw, roll, loop, etc.) and a non-productive force (drag).
That productive force, whatever name we give it, cannot exist without the associated non-productive force.

As drag always consumes energy, each control input consumes energy, in form of speed or height.
A good pylon pilot avoids control inputs as much as possible.

You modify the pressure value on both sides of the surface and the airstream reacts against the airframe (re-locating it or re-adjusting its attitude) in order to re-establish balance of pressure.
Excellent. Would it be true to say that an aileron that is symmetrical and is at zero degrees incidence (or angle of attack), produces no lift? Just asking, because I don't know.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:49 AM
Lnewqban

Excellent. Would it be true to say that an aileron that is symmetrical and is at zero degrees incidence (or angle of attack), produces no lift? Just asking, because I don't know.
Yes, a symmetrical or flat aileron, attached to a symmetrical wing flying at zero AOA, produces no pressure differential; hence, no lift.

That is the case of the rudder in normal position: a symmetrical (or flat) airfoil, flying with zero AOA and producing no lateral force in any direction (only drag force due to skin friction).
Old 01-12-2013, 08:53 AM
brockettman

Thanks. I think I get it now.

Ben
Old 01-12-2013, 09:11 AM
Lnewqban

Easy to see in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...pXmA78M#t=310s
Old 01-12-2013, 09:25 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks. I think I get it now.

Ben
Much of what you see in technical writeups and books on aerodynamics - is simply information about various aspects of the airflow
It is information helpful if one is interested in dissecting the laws of flowing fluids but oft times confusing in determining the basics
Many writers are paid by the column and the info can become quite daunting -unless you speak techno babble
A lot of it is simply the result of a self styed expert trying to ferret out the obvious.
Birds figure it out with out instruction - how hard can it be ?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:30 AM
sensei

Guys this is not rocket science, unless you are using a semi symmetrical airfoil then a positive AOA is required to produce lift and that is certainly no front page news.

Now with that understood, less wing area of lets say a neutralized aileron in this case, I know back to his original question before all the semantics of the so called experts, means simply a less available lift component to work with for any given speed or AOA.

Bob
Old 01-12-2013, 10:10 AM
GaryHarris

And the consensus is?
Old 01-12-2013, 10:13 AM
sensei

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

And the consensus is?
We all love aviation and are part of an overall brotherhood.[8D]

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.