Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

moving CG around

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

moving CG around

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 08:23 PM
chadxp1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moving CG around

I had a brain fart when I asked this question. never mind.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:11 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default RE: moving CG around

You need to know which way to adjust. Adding weight to the CG only adds weight. What is your airplane doing that makes you think you need a CG adjustment?
Old 05-15-2013, 07:09 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Come on Shawn, most models need adjustment. Not just the CG, but usually everything else as well.

To answer the OP's question if you are moving the CG by just adding weight, take the weight you are adding and divide that amount by the overall airplane's weight. The amount that the CG moves will be that fraction times the distance from the original CG to where the weight is added.

Example, if 1 oz. is added to a 6 lb. airplane and it is placed 24 inches behind the original CG, then the CG moves back 0.250 inches. Moving a 4 oz battery, you would have to move it 6 inches back. It's best to work out most of this during construction.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:53 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

So true Bob, that has been one of the most difficult thing for me to get across to people. Trimming for me is always a work in process. I kept my answer on this one simple so that the OP would hopefully let us know why he wanted to play with his CG location and then we could go from there. In the past trying to explain that CG will change everything from landing speed to control cross coupling with about a dozen things in between always seems to spark arguments. Seems the old pilots tale of a nose heavy airplane always being more stable is alive and well.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Villa

Hi chadxp1
When I read you did not want to move the battery I lost interest.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:48 AM
charlie111

I got a Brain Cramp thinking of how to aswer that question? Think of your Plane as a Funny Looking Hang Glider!!