Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

sig wondere

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

sig wondere

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 11:02 AM
micuyou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sig wondere

hello
anyone now the profile on the sig wondere, i got profili sow i want to build this model after a small drawing i got off it
best regards to all you modelsflyers
michael from denmark
Old 10-07-2013, 11:11 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

???? Do you want the dimensions? The wing on mine is 37" x 9 1/4" If you have a drawing, you may be able to work out the rest. I am not sure what the question is.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:01 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

He is looking for a trace of the airfoil.

Micuyou, it's also entirely possible that the original airfoil is not something specific. I know that if I were building something like a Wonder I would most likely use an airfoil with a flat rear portion to make building the wing easy and fast.

Some years back someone asked how to do this style of airfoil in a "cheap and dirty" way. I posted this as one possible option. It's not a brand name airfoil but for something like a Wonder it would be good enough if you can keep the model weight low.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:14 PM
aspeed

Even a diamond airfoil works quite well on powered planes. TLAR That Looks About Right. Mine is about 1.420" thick.

Last edited by aspeed; 10-07-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:20 AM
Nitrovein

I built a replica of the Wonder and asked some questions in this thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aero...cal-tails.html

I used a NACA 4-digit modified for my plane. But I used the airfoil to make a template for the ribs, then sheets were added and the trailing edge were cut for flat ailerons, so it's not exactly the same airfoil.
The airfoil I used was; [ATTACH]1928673[/IMG]

Hope that helps!
Old 10-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Mr-Punk
My Feedback: (2)

The Wonder was a Bruce Tharpe design when he worked at Sig. As with most of Bruce's designs he liked to use a simple semi-symmetrical airfoil that flew well. Heck if it ain't broke don't fix it. I'd bet my Flyin' King has pretty much the same 4 star airfoil. Trace a 4 Star tip rib and you'll have it. It is flat from the spar to the trailing edge but only on the bottom. The top follows the airfoil's natural curve. It's partially flat on the bottom for much easier building as you can build it flat on the board without use of shims or blocks. It fly's much like a symmetrical airfoil due to the "flat" portion angle upwards as viewed from the side. Good luck on your Wonder. I've long wanted to build one and always have had a good 15 laying around.

Peace,
J
Old 10-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Lnewqban

Originally Posted by micuyou
hello
anyone now the profile on the sig wondere,...........
http://www.sigmfg.com/BuildManuals/SIGRC66WonderP1.html

http://www.btemodels.com/itw00index.html

Last edited by Lnewqban; 10-13-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:01 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr-Punk
The Wonder was a Bruce Tharpe design when he worked at Sig. As with most of Bruce's designs he liked to use a simple semi-symmetrical airfoil that flew well. Heck if it ain't broke don't fix it. I'd bet my Flyin' King has pretty much the same 4 star airfoil. Trace a 4 Star tip rib and you'll have it. It is flat from the spar to the trailing edge but only on the bottom. The top follows the airfoil's natural curve. It's partially flat on the bottom for much easier building as you can build it flat on the board without use of shims or blocks. It fly's much like a symmetrical airfoil due to the "flat" portion angle upwards as viewed from the side. Good luck on your Wonder. I've long wanted to build one and always have had a good 15 laying around.

Peace,
J
I built a couple of these years ago, didn't the Wonder have a symmetrical airfoil, or am I remembering that wrong?

Bob
Old 10-15-2013, 07:28 AM
aspeed

Right now it is my favourite plane. Just charge and go. My Twist is better as well as maybe another one or two, but I like the simplicity and little consequence of it. Mine came out a bit (lot) tailheavy from a swap meet find and I needed a heavier motor as well as extending the nose a bit, so I took out the LA .15 and put in the Fox BB. It goes great and if I need more speed (and I do) I will put on the Turbo head I made up, and maybe a higher pitch prop. Maybe later the ASP blue head .15 that I got turning up real good. It takes about 30 seconds for me to get up to full throttle, and then at the end of the tank I want more speed. Yes it is a symmetrical airfoil.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Mr-Punk
My Feedback: (2)

Sorry If I was misleading guys. I assumed the wonder used a four star like airfoil but have never built one. He used the same basic foil for the 4star, Venture, Flyin King and the Reaction Jet. So these Wonders are little hot rods with a good 15? What is one like with a cheap 25 like a LA? You guys got me to thinking I might need a hand lauched screaming little hot rod.

Peace,
J
Old 10-15-2013, 04:06 PM
aspeed

Lots of guys use a .25, some even an LA .40. They fly better than me. Look on Youtube there are a bunch there.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:32 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The airfoil on this design is an NACA 0015