Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Air Force Museum error?

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Air Force Museum error?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 12:54 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, the weight of the ice is not irrelevant. The stall speed is affected by the weight the wings are trying to carry. The way the wings deal with additional weight is to demand greater AOA. There really aren't too many things in aerodynamics that are responsible by themselves for anything. The suction from the upper, the pressure from below, the surface drag, the wing loading, etc etc are all part of the discussion.

One reason full scale focuses it's de-icing more on upper surfaces and often "ignore" the undersurfaces is economics of time and money and how very little weight (as well as surface degredation) there can be underneath.

Nothing in aerodynamics is sound byte simple. One liners seldom come close to answering any question.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

While I cannot disagree with what you're saying in the first paragraph, the weight of ice is negligible for the conversation. A clean wing can carry the extra weight. A contaminated wing may not.

But we are straying from the main topic. The AF sign is correct in its theory albeit in layman's terms.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:03 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm going to walk a middle path and suggest that it depends on the airfoil. If the shape is somewhat critical then even a small build up of ice may produce some early separation and thus limit the maximum achievable lift coefficient or perhaps simply push up the drag coefficient such that it's tough to get up to speed needed.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:42 PM
Lnewqban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The devices against ice formation are located mainly close to the leading edge of the wings and tails.
The reason may be that those are the areas more prone to ice formation during flight, or that the shape of those areas are critical for lift, or both.

This thread discussed some ideas about that:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/airp...ale-wings.html
Old 11-03-2013, 08:13 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

e I believe you are refering to the heated boots used on the leading edge The answer is mostly in how they work, Air is pumped into them which causes them to expand and crack the ice. They are heated which melts the remaining ice and the areas on each side. Often the upper area just behind the boot is also heated. The heat is not just contained at the heating element but travels along the skin for a signicant differance. When the ice is cracked the air flow gets into the cracks and then blows the ice away. The heat melts the remaining ice at the surface and now there is a sharp edge to the ice where the air flow can get under the ice which is now held only by the viscosity of water from the melted ice, so a much larger area behind the boot eventually slakes off. Because of the curveture of the upper surface more the ice edge is to the airflow so more ice slakes off of the upper edge even if there is no additional heat behind the boot.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:25 PM
bokuda
My Feedback: (7)

"air molecules at the leading edge must reunite at the trailing edge."

I never believed this even back in the early sixties when it was taught to me. I argued with the teacher that there was no reason why air molecules had to rejoin at the trailing edge. The accelerated air molecules could be replaced or join up with random molecules from the surrounding atmosphere. The teacher would not accept my argument. Not that I'm a know-it-all, but it seemed common sense to me. It still does.

Last edited by bokuda; 11-03-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:30 PM
bokuda

Originally Posted by rgburrill
So vacuum cleaners don't suck, huh. Tell that to Dyson. Unless you are an Aerodynamics Engineer with at least a Master's degree you have only an inkling of knowledge of what you are talking about. Aerodynamics is extreemly complex with many, many factors involved. Sometimes simplicity is the best answer.
No they do not. The internal fan creates lower pressure within the machine and the higher air pressure at the nozzle pushes junk in.

BTW: there is no need to be demeaning. I'm happy to discuss this, not to take insults.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:39 PM
bokuda

Originally Posted by BMatthews
The suggestion that the thread might be locked was based on the first few posts that did nothing but lament over the use of the term "suction". The forum is about aerodynamics and how it pertains to our model flying. Not about semantics of word usage. The issues of what word was used is no more pertinent to this forum than discussions about retractable landing gear or how to mix the correct shades of colour for WWII scale models. It was simply off topic for THIS forum. And that was why I suggested a new direction for the thread or closure. Not being nasty, just trying to keep the discussions for this forum area on topic.
I disagree. The Air Force is attempting to educate the public about how a wing works. To the average person, "suck" means pull; as sucking on a straw "pulls" liquid up the straw. In my opinion this is erroneous information and should be corrected. Why not provide a proper explanation which is correct and just as simple? Semantics is not the issue, correct information is.

Last edited by bokuda; 11-04-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:53 PM
bokuda

Originally Posted by Quikturn
The principles of flight are the same for RC as it is for full scale aircraft. If you want to test the importance of the upper surface of a wing spray some wall texture (to simulate ice) on top of one of your models, let it dry and go fly it. My guess is it won't fly well due to airflow separation over the wing.

Another way to think of it is to take a simple flat bottom trainer wing. The bottom is flat and the top has a camber to it. The air passing below the wing is relatively unmodified whereas the air over the top is modified because it travels a greater distance causing higher velocity and lower pressure as a result. So clearly the wing is a lifting device, not a pushing up device.

Yet another example is is to blow over a sheet of paper while it lays flat on a table. As you blow over the sheet of paper you are creating a low pressure area and the paper will lift off the table. Nothing underneath it to push it up.
Yes, there is! Unless the paper is sealed or glued to the table, there is air under it which pushes the paper up when the pressure is reduced on top of it. What do you think causes the paper to rise??
Old 11-03-2013, 06:03 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bokuda
Yes, there is! Unless the paper is sealed or glued to the table, there is air under it which pushes the paper up when the pressure is reduced on top of it. What do you think causes the paper to rise??
Actually it's a case of MORE air needs to be able to get under the paper so it can lift up. If the gap around the edge gets closed somewhat tighter by the lower pressure over top it can end up holding that sheet of paper to the table quite well. I've seen this happen and the paper stays stuck down despite the lower pressure over the top of the sheet. But in essence what you said is right. It's simply that another factor is added which is the way the paper seals itself to the table's surface around the edges to slow down any air getting under the paper.

A case in point is highly flat and polished gauge blocks used in metal machining setups. These blocks of steel are scrupulously cleaned of oil then slide together to avoid any air between the blocks. The technique is called "wringing". When done right there is almost no air between the blocks and outside air pressure holds them together to the point where a stack of a couple of pounds worth of blocks can be lifted by the top block without the others falling free.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:16 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Air Force is attempting to educate the public about how a wing works. To the average person, "suck" means pull; as sucking on a straw "pulls" liquid up the straw. In my opinion this erroneous information and should be corrected. Why not provide a proper explanation which is correct and just as simple? Semantics is not the issue, correct information is.
When you suck on a straw, the liquid is pushed up the straw by the air over the glass, which has a higher pressure than the lower pressure inside the straw that you have just created. It's not as if there's some invisible rope created by "sucking," which then "pulls" the liquid upward. You have just committed the very "error" that you are accusing the Air Force of having made. (Not really an error, just two different ways of describing the same thing.) The issue is in fact semantics: You and the Air Force have said the same thing in different ways.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:26 AM
bokuda

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
When you suck on a straw, the liquid is pushed up the straw by the air over the glass, which has a higher pressure than the lower pressure inside the straw that you have just created. It's not as if there's some invisible rope created by "sucking," which then "pulls" the liquid upward. You have just committed the very "error" that you are accusing the Air Force of having made. (Not really an error, just two different ways of describing the same thing.) The issue is in fact semantics: You and the Air Force have said the same thing in different ways.
Please read my statement again. I said "to the average person" this is what it means, which is why I believe the placard at the museum is wrong.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:51 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So now you're conceding that the Air Force's explanation was accurate, and that the only problem was that "the average person" wouldn't have understood it? A few posts back you said this wasn't about semantics, it was about erroneous information. Glad to see you've changed your mind.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:59 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bokuda
Please read my statement again. I said "to the average person" this is what it means, which is why I believe the placard at the museum is wrong.
A similar argument is which way electricity travels along a wire: + to - or - to +? Or do the electron moves to fill the holes or do the holes move to overrun the electrons? Do you agree that electrons are negative particles that are attracted to positive particles (or holes)? Yet BY DEFINITION current flows from + to -.
Your arugument is just as absurd - the vast majority of the scientific and engineering community accept the premise that BY DEFINITION a lower pressure area creates a suction.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:13 AM
guille2006

Mr Abbot has the answers... even in the first chapter of his book: "Basic on aerodynamics..." or so.
Just ask for "the" Abbot... is quite famous.
In my opinion there is no need to change the contents in order to make them available for average persons; you just explain them differently but a fact is a fact.
The abbot, even going really deep on wing aerodynamics, starts explaining very clearly how works... you have high pressure here, low pressure threre and they want the balance themselves; then you get the lift.

COnclusion: the museum was RIGHT, even if it's not available to the common person understanding.

Cheers

Last edited by guille2006; 11-04-2013 at 06:26 AM. Reason: contents
Old 11-04-2013, 07:11 AM
wingspar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a headache now.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:17 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

i think our air force knows more about planes then the modler will ever know
Old 11-04-2013, 07:36 AM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

A great place, the USAF Air Museum. I used to jog around it until the security fanatics stopped us. Perhaps a poor choice of words using "sucked" but it is easily understood by the average lay person. I too agree with the basic principle given. But then I am just an old Air Force person while non-rated, flew a whole lot of miles on wings both commercial and military. They worked every time. So I kinda think they know what they are doing.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:52 AM
Antares100

The definition of electrical current flowing from "+" to "-" is called Conventional Current. The definition of current flowing from "-" to "+" (which is what physically happens) is called Electron Current. We tend to think of + flowing to -, but in actuality it is the electrons doing the work physically moving toward a more positive (less negative) source. Either way will work in trying to understand components and circuits, but not aerodynamics.

Last edited by Antares100; 11-04-2013 at 07:53 AM. Reason: error typing
Old 11-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Lnewqban

In my humble opinion, any wing must be forced to go through the air at certain angle respect to the direction of movement in order to induce in the surrounding air a reactive force which opposes that movement (drag-useless) and impulses the wing up (lift-useful), counteracting the down impulse of weight.

It seems that the statement in discussion tries to explain the way in which part (lift only) of that reactive force is caused.
As discussed here earlier, some pushing up reaction happens against the bottom surface of the wing, while some pull up reaction happens against the top surface, being the magnitude of the pull up reaction substantially bigger than the magnitude of the pushing up one.

The trust that forces the wing to move and overcome drag is very important, because without that force the Air Force would show in that museum only gliders that descend gracefully.
That thrust is responsible for the speed of the airplane, abundance of which is as important for winning battles as for providing lift.

That certain angle respect to the direction of movement is very important because:
From 0 to around 10 degrees lift grows and drag stays relatively low.
Above around 10 degrees lift gets abruptly reduced and drag increases significantly (more as angle increases).
At 90 degrees there is no lift and drag is maximum.
The tail of the airplane is responsible for keeping that certain angle with precision and according to the speed of the plane and weight.

How would you improve the statement on the placard (as posted by the OP), in order to make it more accurate but not too complicated to the average visitor of the museum?

"The curvature of a wing's airfoil causes lower pressure on the upper surface of a wing than the lower and the wing is literally sucked upwards".
Old 11-04-2013, 09:12 AM
davidhand

A wing produces "lift" because of a differential pressure between the upper and lower surfaces, I think we all agree on that. There appears to be two schools of thought on how that is generated, Bernoulli or Nutonion reaction, it's probably a bit of both. However the pressure difference required is actually quite small. Take a 60 size plane say 700 sqin wing area, if the pressure on the underside is increased from 14.7 psi to 14.71 psi and the pressure on the upper side is reduced to 14.69 psi we have a differential of 0.02 psi multiply this by 700 sqin and we have a lift of 0.02 X 700 = 14 lb. More than enough to lift a 60 size plane which probably weighs about 6 -8 lb. The way the museum worded it is probably not the way I would have worded it but I don't have a serious problem with it either.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Quikturn

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The error in bokuda's logic is that he is giving credit to the wrong force at play. A force you have not created or modified.

By sucking on a straw to take a drink, you are actively creating low pressure to draw the drink up but you are giving credit to the drink being pushed up via higher pressure. By blowing over a flat piece of paper laying on a table you are actively creating a lower pressure over the top of the paper but you are saying it's the air underneath pushing the paper up. The top of the wing which has a camber is modified to actively create a low pressure area above and therefore lift but you are giving credit to higher pressure underneath the wing which is not modified.

See what I'm saying?
Old 11-04-2013, 10:45 AM
bokuda

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
So now you're conceding that the Air Force's explanation was accurate, and that the only problem was that "the average person" wouldn't have understood it? A few posts back you said this wasn't about semantics, it was about erroneous information. Glad to see you've changed your mind.
I have NOT changed my mind and this is NOT about semantics. The information on the placard is not accurate in my opinion and I stand by that. Nothing "sucks" in the common interpretation of that term. I have been completely consistent in my assertions. Choosing to ignore that is not a valid argument.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:53 AM
bokuda

Originally Posted by rgburrill
A similar argument is which way electricity travels along a wire: + to - or - to +? Or do the electron moves to fill the holes or do the holes move to overrun the electrons? Do you agree that electrons are negative particles that are attracted to positive particles (or holes)? Yet BY DEFINITION current flows from + to -.
Your arugument is just as absurd - the vast majority of the scientific and engineering community accept the premise that BY DEFINITION a lower pressure area creates a suction.
Can you site a credible source that says lower pressure creates suction? Can you site a source that the vast majority of scientists and engineers accept the notion of " suction?"

The reasons for the designations of + and - in electricity are irrelevant to the premise of this thread.

(Notice that I did not refer to your assertion as "absurd.")
Old 11-04-2013, 11:02 AM
bokuda

Originally Posted by Lnewqban
In my humble opinion, any wing must be forced to go through the air at certain angle respect to the direction of movement in order to induce in the surrounding air a reactive force which opposes that movement (drag-useless) and impulses the wing up (lift-useful), counteracting the down impulse of weight.

It seems that the statement in discussion tries to explain the way in which part (lift only) of that reactive force is caused.
As discussed here earlier, some pushing up reaction happens against the bottom surface of the wing, while some pull up reaction happens against the top surface, being the magnitude of the pull up reaction substantially bigger than the magnitude of the pushing up one.

The trust that forces the wing to move and overcome drag is very important, because without that force the Air Force would show in that museum only gliders that descend gracefully.
That thrust is responsible for the speed of the airplane, abundance of which is as important for winning battles as for providing lift.

That certain angle respect to the direction of movement is very important because:
From 0 to around 10 degrees lift grows and drag stays relatively low.
Above around 10 degrees lift gets abruptly reduced and drag increases significantly (more as angle increases).
At 90 degrees there is no lift and drag is maximum.
The tail of the airplane is responsible for keeping that certain angle with precision and according to the speed of the plane and weight.

How would you improve the statement on the placard (as posted by the OP), in order to make it more accurate but not too complicated to the average visitor of the museum?

"The curvature of a wing's airfoil causes lower pressure on the upper surface of a wing than the lower and the wing is literally sucked upwards".
Some of what you say makes sense, but "while some pull reaction happens against the top surface" is not valid in my opinion. I maintain that air cannot pull on anything.

I would improve the placard by saying "The curvature of the wing's airfoil causes lower pressure on the upper surface of a wing than the lower. The higher pressure on the lower wing surface pushes (or forces) the wing upward.

(It is debatable whether the intelligence of the average person can handle this explanation in two sentences. It could be stated in one longer sentence with the same caveat!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.