Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

CG with tank FULL or EMPTY

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

CG with tank FULL or EMPTY

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 07:04 AM
charlie111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have a (Few) yrs. on me.So, Let me ask you something? I also made plenty of Planes from scratch and from Parts of differant planes.I think my 1st was a Flying wing (Control Line) Flew with Dick Moorehead?Built my Biggest plane with him at age 13 or 14.It was a Nobler Carl Goldberg I think.Had opposite control surfaces Up Elevator would put Flaps down and Down up.It worked well.I was Wondering if you have seen a Bell Helicopter Video 1st prototypes! I think he should have stayed the course with his very 1st.It had no c.g. and no control surfaces for axis.Someone sent it to me on this site.You may be able to view it?I have built a Very Similar prototype with plenty of c.g. and control surfaces for axis and Mine is Very controllable.I personally am not a Fan of Todays Designs.Even the Quad copters rely souly on Thrust? I did not have the Funds or Shop to Put a collective on it for Autorotation Set angle of attack is between 5 and 10 degrees.I am trying to promote this as a Unit for Small e.v.s Such as a (Google Car) Easy to Operate I think it could be programmed to Fly?An E.V would make a Comfy cockpit.With to many Good Features to mention such as wipers,lights,Safety Features and G.PS. if you get Lost.Lifting is not a Problem for this Rotarywing Must see Bell Heli. video My 2nd prototype has 4ft. by 10 1/2 inch Blades (Wings) with a Slight Dihedral. I will have a Video soon showing capabilitys.I think a Crash Landing means You crashed into Land?Sorry about spelling errors!
Old 07-09-2014, 11:08 AM
charlie111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Balance with Full Tank.If tank is behind Chord Line c.g. It could get tail heavy when full But, balance when empty? I'm sure the Designer got it Right!!When he put the Tank where he did!!

Last edited by charlie111; 07-09-2014 at 10:45 PM. Reason: change
Old 07-09-2014, 07:47 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie111
Balance with Full Tank.If tank is behind Chord Line c.g. It could get tail heavy when full But, balance when empty? I'm sure the Designer got it Right!!Where he put the Tank where he did!!

Almost too painful to decipher...
Old 07-17-2014, 08:06 PM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With the multitudes of aircraft designs dynamic shift in CG while in operation will differ from the mean CG when static.
I like to balance 1/2 tank full at desired CG / If the tank is forward of the leading edge.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:20 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind the initial location for a new model is intended to produce an aircraft that is safe to fly. Good designers match that CG up with the control settings to give an easy to fly model for the average modeler. The vast majority of models we encounter will be provided with Balance Points, control layouts, and surface throws to do just that. Since the early days, the accepted basis for balancing the average model has been to do so with an empty tank. Designers usually are smart enough to include clear instructions when their design would require other than an empty tank for balancing.

If you're in a quandary about the full/empty question, and there are no instructions, show your plane (or a picture of it) at a LHS and explain your worries.

The EMPTY TANK convention is so well established in our hobby that not one of the various CG (balance point) location applications developed over the years (many of which are available online) mention tank location or weight. They require you to measure the model and input the measurements and hit the Enter button. They would certainly state things they thought were important to include. They leave out "what everyone does already" and that is to ignore the fuel for the "usual" model.

Want to see what matters for balance point? Check out ghttp://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_calc.htm It is one of the most "complex" CG locator. It requires you measure the model.