Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Aileron configuration?

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Aileron configuration?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 04:00 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Back in the early years of RC, there were few if any novice builders building full house RC airplanes. Most would have had years of building either free flight or control line or both types of models. They also seemed to be a lot more technically literate than the typical modeler today. For instance Bob Noyce, the co-founder of Intel built and flew RC models in that time period.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:12 AM
ron ward

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes I know, back then, "R/C " was something that you graduated into after free flight or u-control. I think it was because it was considered a fairly advanced and exclusive form of the hobby, because radio sets were pretty new and all but rare . now-a-days, there are people who don't even know what "u-control" is, or consider it a "toy hobby", with r/c being the real thing. most people now a days get their first exposure to flying model planes through radio control . as far a flying benefits of Barn doors over strips. the barn doors are a little more efficient that strips because of their outboard location on the wing.this efficiency allows the aileron to be smaller in area and it's outboard location has greater influence in the plane. I will say that thiese advantages come at a greater difficulty in building a wing with barn doors.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:47 AM
NIGHTBREEDERS

when flying a warbird do you use rudder or ailerons to turn with
Old 04-10-2016, 05:07 AM
Rodney

Originally Posted by NIGHTBREEDERS
when flying a warbird do you use rudder or ailerons to turn with

Using both for most planes will result in more realistic performance, on some it is almost mandatory to use both simultaneously to provide smooth turns.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:33 AM
NIGHTBREEDERS

Thanks for that Rodney but if i just wanted to use alierons would that still be ok
Old 04-10-2016, 05:49 AM
ron ward

you'll get the turn made, but the plane will look as though it is skidding tail slightly down and inside the turn's path. in a bank, a little bit of rudder holds the tail up on the turn's path. newer computer radios can be programmed to input a ;little rudder when ailerons are used to bank the plane. it's handy,....but it is also considered by some to be cheating the pilot out of learning how to actually fly the plane. my opinion is that it does, but if you are experienced, why not take advantage of making flying easier and more enjoyable. as long as you know you can fly the plane traditionally, it doesn't hurt the learning curve. that said, learning right, is the way to go when you are starting out, because it is part of the fundimental understanding of controlling the plane.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:03 AM
NIGHTBREEDERS

thanks ron but is there a radio that would help with the turns buy adding a little rudder as i have a spektrum dx9 and how would i configure it in to the transmitter thanks again
Old 04-10-2016, 06:50 AM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See page 28 of your manual (or access a manual on-line)

Go to "MIX1"
Set it as "AIL > RUD"
Set "Rate" as 5%, 5% (you will need to increase or decrease these based on whether not enough or too much rudder is added for your liking
Leave "Trim" as "Inh"
Leave "Switch" as "Inh" (unless you want to turn this on and off via a switch).
Old 04-10-2016, 07:46 AM
ron ward

RBACONS, thanks for that ! I had no idea, as I am not at all familiar with Spectrum radios. turns out by your instructions, it's not much different than programming my 6ex.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:55 PM
NIGHTBREEDERS

does anybody no much about the eflite safe rx recievers much like whats in the hobbyzone corsair s
Old 04-11-2016, 08:03 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Old 04-12-2016, 05:48 AM
NIGHTBREEDERS

HighPlains is that a yes i love it or a no i hate it
Old 04-14-2016, 03:36 AM
NIGHTBREEDERS

RBacons im having a problem about which safe receiver i should put in my warbird as i want retracts with it do i pick the

E-flite rx safe receiver or the spektrum 636F4U Safe receiver