Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Unstable in Roll

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Unstable in Roll

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 06:52 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I have two questions for the OP:

1. What were the wind conditions like when you were flying?

2. Was the problem constant throughout the flight, or was it sporadic?
Old 05-02-2015, 08:38 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I had one of these planes for a while, and I can say that it was a little goofy. One guy in my club let me fly his, and he did not like it at all. It would kind of bobble in the pitch axis. He had a huge engine in his, like a .90 2 stroke. SO he had some barbell effect going on with his weight and CG. A lot of weight up front, and in the back to counter it.

Mine flew really good actually with a Saito .56. I could lock that thing into knife edge and fly it around the sky that way. It was a really fun plane. I do seem to remember that you had to fly it all of the time. Not sure it is worth spending a lot of time getting this design rock solid stable. It may not be capable. If you servos good, your linkage is tight, then it should stay trimmed. If not, something is probably moving. Like you need to tighten the wing bolts more. Or wrap tape on the anti rotation pins to tighten them up.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:19 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I was under the impression this airplane has a one peice wing.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:21 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

No, it is like a big one. Wing tubes, bolts through fuse side, anti rotation pins if I remember at the LE and TE. It is pretty small too, so it could be a little squirrely at times, especially on higher rates. That is what I thought made it fun.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:25 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

For my two cents on the AILE issue. You can have great servos and great linkage and have weak extensions or Y harness. Turn it all on and try to deflect the AILEs with your hand. I bad lead can drastically reduce the strength of the servo. If your issue is not there. Get out the incidence meter.

David
Old 05-02-2015, 10:47 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
No, it is like a big one. Wing tubes, bolts through fuse side, anti rotation pins if I remember at the LE and TE. It is pretty small too, so it could be a little squirrely at times, especially on higher rates. That is what I thought made it fun.
you are correct, I was thinking it was the older version. I'm still leaning towards the servos not centering.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:02 AM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Or the wing panels moving on the anti rotation pins. How old is this plane?