Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Toe out, Neutral or Toe in?

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Toe out, Neutral or Toe in?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 08:08 PM
BD5wingnut
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toe out, Neutral or Toe in?

Hey Gang

I am starting a project converting an old "Big Stick" ARF that I rescued several years ago, from a modeler that got in over his head. He had tried to teach himself to fly R/C solo, and eventually cracked up the original kit. Sweet deal for me; kit, OS .61, sport radio and a few other bits for $100.00
The fuse was a total loss, but the wing was untouched. I immediately put the plane on a diet, built a new fuse narrowed by a 1/2 inch and shortened, height-wise, by the same. I did a built up empennage with laminated (outline) vertical stab and rudder. I wanted to clean up as much drag on this bird, so I added drooped (Hoerner) the wing tips and all control surfaces were tapered down to a 1/16 inch. The final touch was a enclosed engine cowl with a slippery cheek. See below.
That rescue was about seven years ago and now I want to do something completely different (shameless Monty Python ref.). So, my plan is for an electric conversion and I want to go "twin". I have several electric motors laying around and have two 35 outrunners with no better place to be. I would like to get some input on how to set them up.
My fading memory of an old sport twin I had back in the early 80's was, to have a degree, or so, of toe-out on each motor and a degree, or so, of down thrust on each. A couple of folks at my field seem to think there should be toe-in or just neutral with down thrust only. Toe-in does not make any sense, from my training.
Another question while on this project. Has anyone ever run two brushless motors with one ESC? I have a couple of 100 Amp ESC's and the motors are rated for 30Amps each. The 100 amp ESC is pretty bulky so two of them would be, well, bulkier. Seems as long as I keep all the leads the same length... I have heard that long leads between the ESC and motor causes problems, but I have no trust in the source of that info. I don't want to spend more bucks if I do not have to.

What say-eth the brain trust of the Universe?

Peace, Wolf
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hot Stik - 2005 (engine detail).jpg
Views:	128
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	2121856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hot Stik - 2006 (HCAM field 01).JPG
Views:	131
Size:	441.0 KB
ID:	2121857  
Old 09-22-2015, 08:51 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have set up a couple of glow twins and used 2 deg of out thrust on each engine so if you had an engine out situation the running engine with out thrust would want to pull the nose in line and be more in control. Some advocate doing this on the Right engine only as the left engine rotation ( when both engines are running in the same direction) prop wash and torque of the left engine would be sufficient to keep the plane on track.

In an electric application I'd leave it at zero as your not worried about loosing an engine..

Pete

Last edited by Rocketman612; 09-23-2015 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:42 AM
UStik

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As to twins: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/twin-multi-engine-rc-aircraft-192/10913690-twin-tips.html#post10919987

As to ESC: Each brushless motor needs its own ESC since it replaces the mechanical commutator (collector and brushes).
Long leads between battery and ESC cause problems as well.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:36 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep to electric not needing the toe out which IS the right direction. Your flying line buddies are likely thinking about conventional landing gear setups where I like to use a degree or two of toe-in.

With an electric twin you gain the option of playing with mixes if your radio has them and running the two throttles off separate channels mixed to the throttle stick. You can then mix in some percentage of rudder to the throttles and get "power rudder" with the motors being linked to the rudder stick. It aught to make for some snazzy "out there twin only" maneuvers that no one has a name for....
Old 09-23-2015, 10:45 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can find the right props, it might be a good idea to run the motors in opposite directions, to cancel out things like torque and P factor.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:51 PM
BD5wingnut

Thanks for all the input, all good points. I think I will run the out thrust, there is always the possibility of one of the motors/ESC crapping out. I already planned to counter rotate the props, since it simply a matter of switching a couple of wires. Just not thrilled about buying more ESC's.

Hey Ustik.
I haven't heard of the Battery to ESC leads being problematic, I thought it was the ESC to motor side. What is considered "long"? I will have about 10"-12" between the Battery and ESC's.

keep those cards and letters coming.

Wolf

Last edited by BD5wingnut; 09-23-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:14 PM
BD5wingnut

Hey Al
I see your Sig, "Ultra Sport Brotherhood..." Just curious, do you fly an old Ultra Sport? I loved that ship, wish I could find another one at a reasonable price. What is the "Brotherhood"
Peace, Wolf
Old 09-23-2015, 07:41 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The key to remember if/when you lose a motor is to initially go into a shallow dive or at the very least push over to level to pick up speed. Where one prop operation goes bad is when the ability of the rudder to yaw the model is less than the yaw torque from the prop still running. So keeping up some good flying speed so you don't actually need full rudder to maintain a straight ahead path is the key. If you MUST climb on one prop be sure you don't let the speed bleed off. As you find you're needing to hold full rudder to maintain a straight heading nose down a little to let the speed come up.

The toe out is an aid but it still doesn't cancel out the yaw torque of the running prop. Speed management is still key.

If you use that rudder to throttle mix I described please be sure to PM me with the results or a link to the thread with the results. I'd love to read about it and what it let's you do.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:22 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BD5wingnut
Hey Al
I see your Sig, "Ultra Sport Brotherhood..." Just curious, do you fly an old Ultra Sport? I loved that ship, wish I could find another one at a reasonable price. What is the "Brotherhood"
Peace, Wolf
Fairly new Ultra Sport (my third). Great Planes still makes the US .60 kit. There's a couple of threads on the US in the Sport Flying and Kit Building forums.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:51 AM
UStik

Originally Posted by BD5wingnut
Hey Ustik.
I haven't heard of the Battery to ESC leads being problematic, I thought it was the ESC to motor side. What is considered "long"? I will have about 10"-12" between the Battery and ESC's.
There are different opinions, but most of the German sources say it's the hashing of the ESC input (pulse width modulation) that makes for voltage peaks in the leads between battery and ESC. That's why ESCs have a capacitor between the input terminals.

Some modelers report no problems with long leads but it's recommended to install additional electrolytic capacitors (470 microF / 35 V) every 4" to 8" or even 10" between the leads. So 12" would be problematic. ;-)
Old 09-25-2015, 09:44 AM
BD5wingnut

Bmatthews
Unfortunately my DX6i does not have the capability, I think. Not really into the 3D thing anyway, I am more into Olds-Cool pattern with big boomin loops and a "box" that fills your view. Would be interesting to see what can be done mixing rudder with separate throttles.

I am sure the "Stik" has plenty of rudder to counter any induced yaw. Hopefully, there will not be a need.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:06 AM
BD5wingnut

Originally Posted by UStik
Some modelers report no problems with long leads but it's recommended to install additional electrolytic capacitors (470 microF / 35 V) every 4" to 8" or even 10" between the leads. So 12" would be problematic. ;-)
I know about the use of caps, definitely help with noise issues. I am not an EE but I just don't understand why a battery could cause issues on the input side, I could see how an electronic power supply would cause issues. I haven't had any need for extra caps in any of my set-ups, including a Senior Telemaster, those leads are about eight inches long. Good info to have and I will dig in my bucket of Caps to see what I have.

Peace, Wolf
Old 10-01-2015, 08:38 AM
UStik

You missed that smiley in my post? Seems 10" or even 12" would not be problematic. And the EEs say the caps compensate the inductivity of the long leads. There is no during current in them (no AC either) but pulses what can make for phase shift and reactive power and whatnot. I'm a ME and don't know either... ;-)
Old 10-01-2015, 08:59 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Toe out, turns away from the high wing.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:12 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do a lot of quick throttle changes often, then the long battery leads become a problem. Normally, you only do these types of throttle changes when hovering for 3d junk, or I have seen some guys that love to blip the throttle while taxing. It sets up ripple voltage and when that gets too high, it will kill the caps in the ESC. I have run 18" battery leads on a 4s 100 amp EDF and never had a bit of trouble.