Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Venom Reborn

Old 07-18-2018, 10:38 AM
allanflowers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Venom Reborn

I’m thinking of building a plane with the parts from my recently departed Freewing Venom. It flew great but I never managed to land the damn thing without a lot of bouncing. Last attempt did it in and I was not sad to see it go. Still those parts are nice and it is tempting to put them to use – in a slightly more conventional configuration.The goal is to have an easily flyable EDF, with the large wing area of the Venom, Fowler flaps and easy, robust construction.I like the look of the notched wing plan (right side) but am favoring the fenced version on the left. It is much easier to build.

I also wanted a little more outboard wing area than the Venom since my last “landing” ended in a low altitude tip stall.The plan view design, with a straight trailing edge through the flap area, should make for a strong wing and an easy Fowler flap workout.Wing section would probably be based on a NACA 2412 or 2414 with a little stretching in the center rear area. I am not after a speed demon. Several of my other planes are WW-1 so I prefer to fly slow. I would welcome comments on the concept and the design as it is so far.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:46 AM
allanflowers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For size reference, this has a wing span of about 56" (the Venom is 59" but that includes the wing tanks). The centerline rib is 14.63", the tip rib is 6.95" and the rib at the flap end is 9.56".
Old 07-30-2018, 06:10 AM
jester_s1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think the design on the right will be the more pilot friendly version. It should make the wing less likely to tip stall while retaining the stability of a swept design. I also think you are right that that design will slow the plane down a bit. I'd love to see your result after you build whichever design you choose.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:52 AM
allanflowers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I noticed the Freewing Avanti EDF actually uses both a stepped wing and fences! This plane is more of a performance design than what I am after but this is interesting.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:29 PM
allanflowers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have started a cad file for this plane and will be posting progress in the ScratchBuilding section of this site.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:31 AM
udithag

What is the software that you are going to use for modelling? Have you worked with CATIA?
Old 09-02-2018, 12:53 PM
allanflowers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am using a program called Alias Wavefront. It is like Catia (a rather high end nurbs program) and used widely for automotive design/styling. I have never used Catia.