Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Crooked wing

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Crooked wing

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 09:16 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Crooked wing

When i was assembling an ARF I manged to get the wing mounted on the fuse a little crooked. one wing tip is abou 1/4 inch different than the other wing tip when measured from the tail post.
I cannot fix this without major rebuilding. Now the question.....
How should I mount the Stab and Elevator? Should I make the wing and stab line up equaly crooked? Or perpendecular to the CL of the fuse or some other set up so that the errors will null themselves out?
Sparky
Old 11-26-2003, 09:35 PM
David Cutler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Crooked wing

You should still mount the tail feathers as accurately as possible (that is, use the fuselage as the measuring point not the wing).

1/4 inch error on the wing isn't going to be noticable once you have trimmed the model in flight.

-David C.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:14 PM
Mitek

Depends how big your ailerons are.
I once saw a guy try to fly a p-51 with a slightly crooked wing, but his ailerons were small and he could correct it. What type of airplane do you have? If its an aerobat, it will be all right.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:46 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If it has much dihedral at all it's going to be a problem too. I'm assuming from your note that the wing is twisted with one tip further forward than the other?

1/4 inch doesn't sound like much but it is enough that on a trainer with dihedral it will make the model funny to fly. How much is the question. What's done is done so you may as well finish it and try it. If the trims being off to compensate make the model odd to fly then you may have to bite the bullet and do that repair.
Old 11-27-2003, 10:45 AM
TerrellFlyer

I would use the cl of the fuse to line the tail feathers,then trim the plane in flight. If you're in the TOC group of fliers you will probably notice a trim problem in some moves, if you are a weekend flier like the most of us, then I dough you'll notice any problem,go fly,have fun.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:47 PM
elmshoot

The plane is an ARF 3 D plane with no dihedral. The reason the fuse wing is crooked is because this is the second fuse since I had a "little shunt" with the first fuse. I mounted the stab parrell to the wing so it si a little crooked as well. I doubt it will be noticable in the hover when it warms a little I will get a flight on it and report back.
Thanks for the feedback.
Sparky
Old 12-06-2003, 02:51 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's not anything to worry about. A small amount of error is negligible. I have a trainer and the main wing is not parallel with the stab looking from in front. Not even an issue. No trim was even necessary. Depends on the error and the model.

Joe
Old 12-08-2003, 09:39 PM
elmshoot

Latest news I have about 10 flights on this plane now and since i am doing mostly3d stuff in the hover I haven't noticed any trim problems that I would assoicaite with my crooked wing and matching stad.
Sparky