Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Northstar Elevons?

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Northstar Elevons?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 02:40 PM
PropFlipper
My Feedback: (227)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Northstar Elevons?

Has anyone out there tried using elevons on this plane?
Old 06-03-2002, 08:18 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Northstar Elevons?

No, but if you're referring to the Balsa USA Northstar, I have considered adding a canard with the elevator up front
Old 06-10-2002, 01:35 PM
Ron McGrath
My Feedback: (10)

Default northstar

this is the first replied that I have written in the rcuniverse but here it goes I have successfully converted and flew a northstar with elevens. I started out by thinking that it might save some weight in the airplane but by the time that you are done it weighs more and that is because you have to add more nose weight than you start with because the tail turns out to be a lifting surface there are other mods that are a lot better for the northstar mine is setup so I could fly it either way with a little work and CG change but at this point I think I will stick wit the the tail on the plane

http://www.rcgypsies.com/2001pics/index3c9a10a619.htm

this is a link to my clubs web page and a few picks of my north star If you have any questions you can feel free to call me at
585-594-4440
Old 04-10-2006, 06:52 PM
carlos2302

Default RE: Northstar Elevons?

Hello,

I have successfully built a Balsa USA Northstar and flown it with elevons since the first day. The problem is that my elevator has little throw and I use the powerfull ailerons to compensate. I use 5 servos (1 for each aileron, 1 for elevator, rudder and throttle). I did not have any extra weight (except for the extra servo). I built it in 1999 and have successfully flown it since then. The engine is an OS .46FX and it has more than enough powwer to move the plane at incredible fast speeds. Takes off on its own and litterally glues itself to the water while landing.

My only problem is that I must take off without the elevons engaged or i may risk to stall the plane. So I take off without the elevons and flip the swithc once I am at flying altitude and speed.

It is a great flying bozt, I have never flown it from land.

Take care
Carlos