Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Wingloading

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Wingloading

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 03:19 PM
Johnny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wingloading

I wonder if any of you guys out there have any ideas on the subject of what is an appropriate wing loading for a given type of model. I generally fly quarter scale gas powered aerobatic models such as Extras, CAPS, etc. I have heard figures of around 28 ounces per square foot being an acceptable wing loading but find it very hard to achieve if not impossible to achieve with gas powered models, even using lightweight motors. I am wondering if any of you guys have worked out the wing loading of your model. What do you find an acceptable level, as we all know lighter models fly better but at what point in terms of wing loading does a model become too heavy? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:26 PM
flyn4Him

Default RE: Wingloading

Johnny, I've heard that the larger the plane the less it is affected by wing loading to a certain point. Take for example a 25 size plane with a wing loading of 30oz per square foot. It would be a pig to say the least. However, a 1/4 scale cap 232 with the same loading would more than likely be a ***** cat. If I'm wrong, please correct me guys. Thanks and hope you have a wonderful week.

In Christ,

Joel Chavez
Old 05-12-2004, 03:49 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

proper loading is in the eye of the beholder
But -in the size range of say -- 1000 sq in
For a good aerobat
28 oz ft is very good and easily done
Problem is the rash of absolute rolling stones on the market --they look like aerobatic models but are not in the right power/weight/size .
Our personal taste is 25 or under for that size-also easily done but no BARFS will do it .
once you jump to about 1500 sq in - then 30 oz s is very acceptable to most flyers.
The size and loading are really on a steep slope in this size range.
a little 25 powered model - should be down in the 15 oz ft (assuming 350 squares) at least!
Some very tiny aerobats -notably , small electrics of about 300-400 squares work bestonder 10 oz ft and my own foamies are under 5 oz ft.
pretty steep slope, no?
models of 1700-2000 squares cn be in low/ mid 30's and still fly quite well .
again - there is a lot of personal preferrence here --
Old 05-12-2004, 03:49 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wing loading is not a very useful criteria as was stated above. A 1/2 A plane with a wing loading of 16 oz/sq.ft would be a lead sled while a 40 sized plane with that loading would be a real floater. A better criteria is wing volume loading.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Johnny

Thanks for the reply Rod but please explain what you mean by "wing volume loading". I am beginning to think that quarter scale is going to be an awkward size of model. As I said please explain "wing volume loading". Many thanks

Jonny