Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Trainer Flat Spin

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Trainer Flat Spin

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 08:28 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Trainer Flat Spin

Some of the Velocity incident sounds familiar - but I thought the one I read about was spinning - It has been a while and I am approaching senility
Funny tho -- the Jim Moser involvement .
Jim had a Bucker Jungmann which he modified extensively -called the Super mann
he sent me stacks of photos of it -which I used in doing some models for the TOC in 1989- but not used till 1990.
I still have one -which was flown to 2nd place by friend S Rojecki.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:26 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Bridi T40, T60, T20 are some of the best planes there are for flat spins. I also had a Sureflite clipped Cub that would go perfectly flat. I even had a MEN trainer fall out of a stall turn into a perfectly flat spin. I couldn't recover. But the rate of descent was so low it was not damaged.

Just do them with a full tank of fuel or at least more than a half tank. The fuel slings to the front of the tank.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:19 PM
stevensaero

Here is a good flat spin video. Figured out the sweet spot with this trainer. A slightly aft cg is helpful... along with lots of throw on elevator and rudder ~45deg. Basically I get the model to snap left then with full up elevator and full left rudder allow the plane to do a few tight spirals. Throwing opposite elevator then cutting power flattens it out. Recovery with CG forward is simple neutralize controls and allow the model to come out on it's own after 5-6 spins... with an aft CG you'll require opposite rudder, down elevator, and a whiff of power. In this video we were setting up to do flat spin touch and go's ... so the point was not to recover but to crash.. then take off again.... Darn wet grass made it tough.. there's a short (1.8m) and long video (8m).

http://www.stevensaero.com/downloads/landing.wmv

http://www.stevensaero.com/downloads/landing-long.wmv

Enjoy.
-Bill

Old 05-16-2005, 11:52 PM
RC-Captain

stevensaero, nice but the trainer I am talking about weighs 5-6 pounds and is glow powered. But this gave me a few ideas. I have to find a better field to try the spin though. thanks for the video.

PS I might buy one of thosr little buggers.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:29 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Very cool! That must be a tough little bird to handle those touchdowns...
Old 05-17-2005, 09:33 AM
starcad
My Feedback: (7)

I used to do flat spins with my Four Star 40 setup with an Irvine 40 and pipe. Setup would allow me to roll about five feet on takeoff and pull straight up to what ever. The first time I tried this I gainned a lot of altitude and then entered a spin as normal. As the model decended I slowly crossed the ailerons and the model flatened out. However when I went to recover it continued to spin. After four more turns I blasted the engine and it pulled it out at around 100 feet from the ground. Scared the brown goo from my rear end. So I went back up and did it again The condition intregued me and later when flying my Astro Hog I had to try it. Sure enough, almost the samething. Fortunately both planes had more than enough power to recover from the condition and I did not loose either.

If you try it my words of advice. Have more than enough power. Start high, twice as high as normal. The first time don't let it go for more than three turns as it will make your rear pucker. Blast out with power where you would normally start a regular spin.

As another note the C/G on my 4* was around 1/2 inch back from the recommend c/g location as I wanted this model to fly my way.
The c/g on the Astro Hog was around 1/4 inch nose heavy and both models would flatten out. The Astro hog would fall straight down level when applying full rudder to blast out of the condition about 100 feet. (wish I had video)

Above all do it with a model you don't expect to survive.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:40 PM
stevensaero

I've been putting together a larger version something ~.25 - .30 sized should come in about the 3lb mark with heavy gear. I'd love to pull off the same stunt but unfortunately balsa/ply strength doesn't scale with size LOL! The slow descent and low mass of the little speed 400 bird make spin-touch-n-go's a zero damage event. Try lumping on a few pounds... guess I'll just have to find out for myself.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:55 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

I do (mostly) flat spins all the time with my twist, upright and inverted.... Normally with a "blast off" at full power straight back up after reaching 25-50 ft. I haven't tried the spinning landing yet though... I might try that at some point, after I beef up the lg. [>:]