Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Aerodesign West Competition

Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Aerodesign West Competition

Old 05-07-2003, 07:35 AM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerodesign West Competition

The report is in to SAE, our plane is almost ready, and school for me is over tomorrow.... See you guys in a couple weeks.

--Paul
Old 06-09-2003, 08:00 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the winner for the 2003 AeroDesign West competition..
Cedarville University.
Lifted 23 pounds.
K&B powered!!!!!!!
Airframe weight less than 6 pounds.
A couple planes lifted a pound more, but in overall judging which includes oral and paper presentation as well as performance, this one is THE winner!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	85065_25376.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	35570  
Old 06-09-2003, 08:04 PM
Tall Paul

Default Most Innovative Award..

These guys fought this one sucessfully!!!! From a flying disaster to a pure-bred lifter..
From Ecole De Technologie Superieure... (Canada)

Name:	85068_25376.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	35571  
Old 06-09-2003, 08:07 PM
Tall Paul

RC-Eflyer's entry....

Name:	85069_25376.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	35572  
Old 06-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Ralph Morris

Default Thanks, TP

Sorry I couldn't attend the event in person.

Thanks for the pics.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:11 AM
Kallikrates

Any of you guys Think of competing In MAVs?

These planes are designed for usefull missions (extra small extra long duration survalence) the competition missions change yearly and take little funding to get involved. This year 13 teams came to compete from various countries. Sponsored By such organizations as nasa ,the airforce and formerly aeroinvironment.

It's a relatively young competition at about 5-6 years as such it doesn't fall into the cruches of the more mature contests IE pages and pages of rules

Basically the bar-none rule is the smallest airplane to complete the mission wins(measured by the longest dimension) next years rules are currently being drawn up and competitions usualy happen at a hosting school around the begining of april

http://www.mae.ufl.edu/mav/mav/mav.htm

The smallest airplane that posted a score this year was about 4.5 inches

Here is one of ours that was to small to fly in the windy competition weather
Old 06-10-2003, 03:38 PM
Ben Lanterman

I went to the link and found a few photos, is there another that would give more photos, etc of the competition?

I wish there had been these kinds of competitions when I was a student. I might have made being a student a career.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Ben Lanterman

Acutally I just typed in

micro aerial vehicle

into AltaVista search engine and got a bunch of stuff, anymore would be appreciated though.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:08 PM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

After the heated argument between myself and some of the California Aerodesign guys a couple years ago, it warms my heart to see a K&B powered airplane win the competition.

I was finishing up an extended term as rules chairman for the event and also as organizer for the east event. The argument was about whether to include OS as an alternative engine to the K&B. The Cali fellas had their "experts" who insisted the OS FX was much superior in every aspect - stuff I still reject outright. They were of the "OS is best 'cause everyone uses them" mindset.

They quoted K&B failures when pushed to extremes that any modeler - expert or otherwise - would recognize as true abuse of any RC engine. I'd like to see some of the results now that student teams have had a couple of years to invent new ways of torturing OS engines as well. :devious:

Anyway, good to see Cedarville succeed as well. This is a team from a small school, that no doubt did not have the budget of many of the bigger schools. Looks like another rules change (wing area/span) succeded in rewarding inginuity vs budget.

Didn't get to the East comp this year. I hope it comes back to FL next year.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:33 PM
SoarNeck

Hi John,

Hmmm...I seem to remember this discussion from another, now-defunct, bulletin board. I still say that I prefer the OS engine

Our team had major reliability issues with 3 K&B engines, and after 14 years of tinkering with model airplanes, I like to think that I have some idea of what I'm doing. Switching to the OS was like a dream...smooth idle and transition, and almost no break-in period required (we gave them a healthy one, anyway).

My final say on the engine issue is that I hate all internal combustion model engines After lovingly breaking in our competition engine, giving it about 10 hours of light-duty work in a sport model to seat everything, and being paranoid about properly setting the various needles...our engine still quit on us at the worst possible time! We were climbing out in high-winds with 20 lbs on board, and the thing just quit! If memory serves, it was about 20 mins after Anne-Marie Cross (I think) mentioned that it was nice that no airplanes had been (yet) lost to engine failure. Grrr...I lost a really nice 9 channel MPX IPD reciever in that forced landing!

Bring on the electric drive systems!
Old 06-25-2003, 05:30 PM
AQ500

We would have used the K&B, but it was stolen. The LHS had the OS in stock. I'm not a big OS fan myself, atleast since the SF and FP series.

The motor we used last year in the competition will not compete again until a new piston and sleeve are installed. I took apart the engine and there was a bunch of sand in the bottom of the crankcase and the piston and liner were pretty messed up. I guess that is what you get when you fly a model airplane without an air filter when there is more sand in the air than air. I'm sure we lost power Sunday due to the loss of compression.

We never did have a flame-out during the test flights or competition. The only times the engine quit was when I slammed the plane down on the runway with 25 pounds on board and when I crashed the prototype (twice).
Old 06-25-2003, 05:37 PM
Tall Paul

After the 2000 event out here, when the K&B as manufactured by Mecoa began to melt parts, an alternative was obviously needed.
We looked around at what was available, and I obtained an example of each... OS, TT, Magnum.. broke in each according to the instructions, and flew all of them on the same airplane the same day.
There was no obvious difference between all 4, performance wise.
I was interested to note the near interchangability of parts between the Japanese engines, as if the only difference might be the logo on the side.
Anyway, the OS won because it's just better built.
The K&B is still a better motor, now that Mecoa has changed back to all-metal parts in the high heat areas.
Any motor will fail if it's mistreated.