Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

question for old timers and flight instructors

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

question for old timers and flight instructors

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 07:07 PM
JGspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for old timers and flight instructors

I have an old Prince III trainer that a former club member was trying to dump on someone. The only apparent problems when I took it were severe shrinkage of the covering that left seams and edges exposed. No problem there, I can handle that between cigs. The fuse is straight and square and vertical stab was broken loose. The vert stab is a good thing since it was way out of line. A little work with a 1/4" chisel and the sander let me point it in the right direction.

Here's the problem and question, the horizontal stab is not square to the fuse by about 3 degrees. The way it's mounted in the fuse would require a razor thin saw and a lot of work to remove and reposition. If I don't do it, how much effect will it have on flight performance?

I don't care about wasting time making a piece of junk flyable, but I don't want to put in the effort if it won't be a good trainer. There's all ready an LT40 and Senorita in the hanger ready to do the job but when it comes to newbie instruction, you can't have too many planes.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:14 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: question for old timers and flight instructors

The angle won't bother anything aerodynamically. The effect isn't going to be enough for a beginner to notice.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:20 PM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way back in the old F/F days a tilted stab was used to help the glide circle, the model would turn to the high side of the stab. Set the stab horizontal and you will get an idea of the sort of turn the model might have on the glide, assuming no aileron or rudder trim. Having said that I have flown plenty of R/C models with dubious rigging and apart from the initial trim flight, once set up to fly 'S & L' have not really shown any sign of their problems. My guess is that after the first flight no one will know, but it will niggle away until you do something about it, if only from a cosmetic point of view. These days, with buddy leads and assuming a good instructor no beginner should need more than one model to learn to fly. However, having learnt, and now with license to fly solo, you can break 'em as quickly and spectacularly as you wish...
Evan, WB #12.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:30 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

That works but only for models where the CG is located well back and the stabilizer is carrying a significant positive lift value. For models like an RC trainer where the lift coefficient of the stabilizer is very low it won't make it turn to any measureable amount.

Evan, you must be an old free flighter to remember that....
Old 02-07-2008, 02:13 AM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nah, never!
Evan, WB #12.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79684.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	872123