Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Can too much power be detrimental?

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Can too much power be detrimental?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 10:03 PM
Bozwth
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can too much power be detrimental?

I am putting a Super Tigre G90 on a small Aeromaster. I was told by the person that I bought it from that I should put at least a 60 on it. I flew another biplane of comparable size with a 60 and it just didn't have the verticle climb that I want in mine. The engine is the same weight and size as the G60, so weight and balence shouldn't be an issue. I'm planning on using a three bladed prop and checked for sufficient prop clearance, so that shouldn't be a problem. Are there going to be any problems that will prevent me from having a good flying airplane with this engine/airframe combination when it's completed such as too much torque or "P" factor?
Old 12-17-2001, 01:17 AM
Ollie

Default Too Much Power?

It depends on how far down you can throttle the larger engine and the minimum thrust it produces at idle. If it is too much, you may have trouble landing under power. The affects of engine vibration energy with respect to the weight and strenght of the airframe need to be considered and vibration minimized. Fuel consumption and costs will go up.
Old 12-17-2001, 01:39 AM
Bozwth
My Feedback: (3)

Default setup

I've got a J'tec snuff vibe mount for it and am planning on using a 12X6 3 blade hoping that the low pitch will keep the idle thrust down. I also beefed up the firewall. I just hope I did it in all the right places.

Robert.
Old 12-19-2001, 02:01 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Default big engine, small plane

I got a MDS ( EEK! ) 38, with pipe, and put the smallest possible airframe around it, the idea was to get as little drag as possible and go fast. i started on speed props but the torque was far too much for the plane to cope with, in the end it ran a 10x6 APC prop and only one person in the club could launch it. it earned the nick name 50/50 after its chance of crashing on take off. would have been better suited to a 20 size engine, but i wanna go fast.
probably no help what so ever, but you can put too much power in a plane.
this pic, if it works, sows the plane after i droped my starter on it, but you get an idea of what it is
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	210_743.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	765  
Old 12-20-2001, 02:22 PM
Jared
My Feedback: (1)

Hopefully your conversion shouldn't cause too much trouble. There is little weight difference between the engines, and also only around a 30% increase in rated horsepower. Since the bolt pattern is identical, it is an easy swap. If you haven't noticed already, the 90 is probably taller than the 60, so you might have to modify your cowl, depending on how the 60 fits. I did it on a larger airplane and had no problems. I also noticed only negligible increases in performance though. Is there any provision for taller landing gear so that you can use a 2 bladed prop? The first little bit of the prop probably isn't going to be too effective due to the cowl, so by using a 3 blade you are exagerating this issue. The two blades will hang more blade out into the airstream which might help your vertical performance more. It will also stink to nose it over and break a 3 bladed prop instead of 2.
Old 12-30-2001, 11:03 PM
Smackdown

Hello,
You might get a little more left thrust at takeoff with the bigger engine if you gun it. You are probably good enough to simply use a little more right rudder if necessary. You will get shorter takeoffs anyway. good luck, jnkessler
Old 02-28-2002, 11:04 PM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default flaps

Flaps are just a killer.....They will slow my chippy down to a walk.....They are much fun...my first time to use them on rc.
good luck in any endevour..
Old 03-09-2002, 03:07 AM
DF_Flyer

It sounds like you have the right idea by going for more thrust instead of top-end speed. I once over-engined a plane that wasn't sturdy enough to get more speed, and had to beef up the fin and rudder to get rid of flutter at high airspeeds.
Old 03-09-2002, 08:41 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

To much power can be detrimental. I lost a really nice EXTRA that had way to much, but it was only to much for the one component that failed. The horizontal stab. The flutter got to it, and folded it like an a book closes. I've since built another one with upgrades for the stab and fly it all the time with no prob at all.
Flutter is what will kill it, which is created by speed mostly.
A fellow club member has the aeromaster with a 1.08 on it, and it's done up with flying wires and all. It flies extremely well with that engine combo.
Old 03-09-2002, 01:07 PM
Scorpionjack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dale;
Your right on the money! You can have to much power. I put a G-38 on a Genesis 1/4 Scale Cap. It took everything I had to get that back to the ground without killing someone. The Torque was just to much for the airframe. Any throttle at all it would Torque left. finally with baby'n it in at idle and rudder etc. I was able to get it back in one piece.
Old 03-09-2002, 03:56 PM
DGrant

Very good point SJ. I didn't even think about the torque. That is something that definately comes into play with bigger planes. I've heard G-38 stories just like yours, matter of fact recently. Goes to show even though the plane may be very well built structurally, that's not even a cure to the "I want more power" syndrome.
Old 03-09-2002, 04:00 PM
Scorpionjack

Dale:
Question with your handle: LordVader! Didn't you use to battle me in Combat on Microsoft I was a Sysop (JackND) General JackND btw : )
Old 03-10-2002, 05:34 AM
DGrant

I don't think so Jack. I got that the LV99 name from a game that I used to play called "TheRealm". It just kind of stuck for some reason. I no longer play the game, and really don't care for the LV thing anymore either, I keep it because a few still recognize it, and I still have it at a few other sites.
Have you ever done online gaming Jack? I don't hardly at all anymore since I'm jumped back to planes full time. The wife on the other hand is a total "EverQuest" junkie. She's played it since beta version and was one of thier testers.
There was combat in TheRealm, only I don't think it's the same kind that your speaking of.
Old 03-10-2002, 12:08 PM
Scorpionjack

Nah! I don't get into online gaming anymore. Although Wife being in Japan will ask me to join her in cards, Cribbage etc. Online. Sysop kinda turned me off of Online gaming I was putting in about 240hrs a month online. For almost 2 yrs and just got burnt out. But the Flight Simulaotrs Microsoft has online were definately awesome.
Old 03-10-2002, 04:18 PM
rwh

Default Aeromaster & ST90... sure!

My club specialized in the small Aeromaster (which isn't made anymore) for many years.. must have been 25 of them made over a 4 year period. The Super Tigre 90 was the engine of choice in every one, spinning a Graupner 13 x 8 prop, it was the perfect match!

I envy you!