Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Setting Ailerons

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Setting Ailerons

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 08:22 PM
flynte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting Ailerons

Just finishing a GP Dazzler and am setting the surfaces. This is my first symmetrical wing, and I was wondering as to where neutral is on the wing. It is a little more bubblous (sic) on the top then the bottom. I just kinda eyeballed it and wondering if this is correct.

flynte
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91201.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	970548  
Old 06-14-2008, 10:20 PM
BeanerECMO
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Setting Ailerons

If the wing is symmetrical, there should be no difference in top or bottom curvature. But in any case, the ailerons should be considered as the completion of the wing chord; that is, they should be even with both the top and bottom of the wing (if the hinges are centered correctly). In general, when getting the alignment, I believe it's better to have a tiny bit of droop to the ailerons (for lift), than to have any up aileron since that position would act as a spoiler.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:36 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: flynte

Just finishing a GP Dazzler and am setting the surfaces. This is my first symmetrical wing, and I was wondering as to where neutral is on the wing. It is a little more bubblous (sic) on the top then the bottom. I just kinda eyeballed it and wondering if this is correct.

flynte

Looks pretty good what you did.

Interesting.... It looks like they took a symmetrical airfoil and flattened it on one side for ease of manufacturing. Do they advertise that as a symmetrical wing? It doesn't appear to be. Fact is, that in 3D it won't matter. But it is a bit funny.

With symmetrical wings, center the ailerons. Look directly from behind and line up the wing so you see the TE bisect the wing for symmetrical airfoil wings. For cambered wings, line the TE up with the bottom of the wing. Now try to see if the TE line looks straight compared to the wing. If you look closely at the pictures, you'll see the lineup for symmetrical in one picture and the lineup for cambered in the other. And you'll see that one wing is warped.

You use this eyeball technique to line up the ailerons and to sort out the warps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30796.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	970762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69831.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	970763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60849.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	970764  
Old 06-15-2008, 12:03 PM
flynte

Thanks da Rock, I knew there had to be a technique to it somehow. And like you pointed out, a great quick check for wing warpage. I think they did flatten one side for manufacture as you mentioned, not a high dollar arf by any means. Now if it quits raining, be able to get a maiden on it.

Thanks again

flynte
Old 06-15-2008, 12:16 PM
BeanerECMO
My Feedback: (1)

The easiest technique is to use tape and place a popsicle stick or a tongue depressor on either side of the airfoil so it overlaps the aileron, and you have alignment.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:06 PM
flynte

Thanks Beaner, I'll give that a go also

flynte