Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Obese Extra 300

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Obese Extra 300

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 08:24 PM
vetter63

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obese Extra 300

Help! I have an older Ohio RC Extra 300 kit built plane, powered by a 3W 60 CC gasser, flying with a 23" Vess prop. Over the years, like all of us, it's gotten heavier. Ohio RC products were known to be pudgy. This is a 27% scale, 84 " wing span weighing in at 21 pounds. I calculated the wing loading at 38 Oz/square foot, including area under the fuselage. I've flown it a few times, so it can fly. Am I flirting with disaster to continue flying with this wing loading? It won't be easy to shed weight, so are there any options to save this project? What is the max wing loading I should safely fly with?
Old 11-08-2008, 09:30 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Obese Extra 300

You can try to find lighter wheels and gear, carbon pushrods or pull pull, hog out some of the bulkheads, lighter radio. The one thing though is the plane was designed different than they are today. I think it was meant to be more of a scale than 3D plane. If it flies, fly it; it just wont be able to keep up with a 14 lbs one.