Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Aileron control throw question

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Aileron control throw question

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 10:54 AM
bigal126
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron control throw question

If one was building a plane where the original design called for strip ailerons 1" wide and 30" long (full length of the wing), and a recommended throw rate of 3/8", but modified the ailerons to be 2" wide and only 20" long (positioned at the end of the wing), then what throw rate would be comparable to the original design? Should the angle of the throw be maintained, which would double the dimension to 3/4", or should the 3/8" dimension remain the same? I was wondering if there is some formula or rule of thumb that would tell me where to set the controls so the plane has approximately the same amount of control surface authority as the original design.
Does the surface area of the ailerons enter into the picture? Where they are located on the wing (at the root or end)? What other factors impact this? Any place to read up on this?
Old 12-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Aileron control throw question

The wingtip style ailerons are more effective than strip ailerons, with a longer moment arm around the longitudinal axis, letting them create more rolling moment for any deflection.
More may not be better.
I changed the strip ailerons on my DynaFlite 60" P-51 to scale area outer panel style.
These increased the roll rate, so I can use less deflection for the same response.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Villa

I would leave it at 3/8" up and down.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:28 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Most times, an initial setting of +/- 20-30 degrees is enough. You then fine-tune the amount of throw based upon how the model flies. You then add more or reduce the amount of throw.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Danny Baker
My Feedback: (2)

I would take the surface area of the first airleron and compare it to the surface area of the second. In this thread that would be 30" sq. vs. 40" sq. Or, the second airleron is 33% larger. You could consider cutting back the throw by 33% to adjust for this. However, there is no inboard airleron on the second one. Inboard is where the prop blast helps in roll. So perhaps there will be no adjustment needed.
If it were me, I'd have the same throw with a lower rate (on a switch) ready to hit in flight during the maden.