Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Thrust Stand

Community
Search
Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Thrust Stand

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 12:39 PM
smitty5688
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thrust Stand

I have been looking around to find any information on engine thrust stands and have not been able to find anything useful. Does anyone know of any companies who manufacture a thrust stand for RC glow engines? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:08 PM
arobatx

Default RE: Thrust Stand

When we've needed/wanted to play with one, we made it. Ball-bearing supported mounting plate, pulling against the most accurate fish scales we could get ahold of. Even though only remotely accurate, we thought we would benefit mainly from the difference in thrust from prop to prop tested. We learned quickly however, that static thrust numbers mean little when you try to apply your findings to dynamic flight characteristics. The thrust test stands have sat idle pretty much ever since.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:58 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thrust stands are good for finding relative performance of engnes /props .
My own stand was designed (and copied by others ) by me to find power consumption vs thrust on electric motors .
it could be adapted for glow but basically the informtion really needed canbe done with a pull scale on a plane.
we used this technique to determinstatic thrust and relative power using differing exhaust setups -mainly tuned pipes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74148.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1280178  
Old 09-22-2009, 06:21 PM
smitty5688

Thanks for the replies, i have seen many like the picture posted, and have already designed one like it in solid works, but due to different time constraints I was trying to find one that someone sells so that I do not have to make one. Let me know if there are any manufactures out there. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:24 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Smitty- years back-in 1977 we had a flying field in Loveland - the Propbusters Club.
the farmer sold the farm ind in a heartbeat - the field was no more
I had just started making my Tiporare models -Dave Brown flew one and atthe time Bill Keller was making the fuselages
up in Dayton.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:30 PM
smitty5688

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

Smitty- years back-in 1977 we had a flying field in Loveland - the Propbusters Club.
the farmer sold the farm ind in a heartbeat - the field was no more
I had just started making my Tiporare models -Dave Brown flew one and atthe time Bill Keller was making the fuselages
up in Dayton.
That club is still around they have moved out of Loveland now and are out by East Fork Lake. Still called the prop busters though.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:21 PM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: smitty5688

I have been looking around to find any information on engine thrust stands and have not been able to find anything useful. Does anyone know of any companies who manufacture a thrust stand for RC glow engines? Thanks in advance for your help.
Go here for a thrust test stand kit: http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...07&pid=V786359