Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aerodynamics
Reload this Page >

Double Reflex Airfoil

Notices
Aerodynamics Discuss the physics of flight revolving around the aerodynamics and design of aircraft.

Double Reflex Airfoil

Old 02-27-2010, 08:07 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Double Reflex Airfoil

I was in 9 th grade when I built my Veco Chief full stunt plane. It had normal ribs...symmetrical. The plane was already 3D then with the coupled throttle & linked exhaust baffel plate on a McCoy 35.
No I did not buy it used from E BAY.

Rich
Old 03-30-2010, 04:57 AM
Frank RKS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all who have followed this thread.

The Magnum is now complete and ready to go. Actually took it to the field last Sunday but with a 15 - 20 km/h cross wind, I decided discretion was the better part of valour and apart from checking the throttle settings and tuning the engine, it stayed in the pits and then back in the car. Next Sunday ???? and with a camera so you can see what the airfoil looks like. Actually quite interesting to watch the'experts' attempt landings in that wind. Every single one flipped including a Pitts that now has a broken wing.

Frank
Old 04-11-2010, 05:23 AM
Frederickvdm

Hi Frank RKS

I'm new to the forum and read that you are interested in the Magnum 40 Airfoil.
If you have build one in the meantime you find than you have a fantastic plane that will out perform any model.

I have build several of them even the 60 size version fly's out of this world.

I have read thought the letters and see every body has there own opinion about the airfoil, how it works or to get it up to full-size.
If you are still interested I know how you can draw the airfoil in no time, if you have scanned the image and try to scale it up you will find its not accurate and not symmetrical because of the reprint.
However if you did do so that way the model will still fly pretty must good at the end.
The right information is very cleverly hidden for most modelers eyes in the construction article, it took me quite some time figure this out.

If you are still interested mail me

Frederickvdm

ORIGINAL: Frank RKS

BTW,

can someone please tell me how to get this image in fullsize

Frank
Old 04-13-2010, 07:27 AM
Frank RKS

Hi Frederickvdm,

Two points.
First, I think you may have misunderstood my question "can someone please tell me how to get this image in fullsize".
I was simply asking how to post my image full size on this forum. Doesn't matter anyway.

Second, I flew the Magnum for the first time last Saturday week. Initially way too responsive as the ailerons had too much throw. Second flight much better but it was getting too windy so I landed.

You are right in that the two short flights so far, it shows performance that is really good. Give me a few more flights to learn its capabilities and I'll post some more. Thanks for your positive comments.

For now, to all those who were a tad sceptical about this airfoil, all I'll say at present is that it lives up to the comments I quoted from the original article from Dan Santich - it is (very) highly manoeuvrable and extremely easy to fly at slow speed. I'm looking forward to next weekend..............

Cheers
Frank
Old 04-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Frederickvdm

Hi Frank

Thanks for your response, I very glad you enjoy your Magnum... it is a terrific airplane.
I have baffled quit a few oaks minds with the Magnum, there are still people that thinks the airfoil cant work.. he he

Regards

Frederickvdm

ORIGINAL: Frank RKS

Hi Frederickvdm,

Two points.
First, I think you may have misunderstood my question "can someone please tell me how to get this image in fullsize".
I was simply asking how to post my image full size on this forum. Doesn't matter anyway.

Second, I flew the Magnum for the first time last Saturday week. Initially way too responsive as the ailerons had too much throw. Second flight much better but it was getting too windy so I landed.

You are right in that the two short flights so far, it shows performance that is really good. Give me a few more flights to learn its capabilities and I'll post some more. Thanks for your positive comments.

For now, to all those who were a tad sceptical about this airfoil, all I'll say at present is that it lives up to the comments I quoted from the original article from Dan Santich - it is (very) highly manoeuvrable and extremely easy to fly at slow speed. I'm looking forward to next weekend..............

Cheers
Frank
Old 07-26-2010, 09:28 AM
slickporsche

I have had good luck with a reflex airfoil through the years and would not let it stop me from buildinga Magnum .40. You may correct me if you wish , but the reason for the reflex is to keep the boundry layer of air attached. Ifly helicopters, and I will swear by a reflex airfoil blade anyday. As for covering an airfoil with a reflex it is easy if you take your time and think about what you are doing. If you have no experience covering then you may want to get some help from an experienced modeler. The other thing is how much reflex is there. On this airplane not much, so it should not be a problem. However this is not a beginner plane, so moving from a comfy trainer might be exilerating. Best to get some help balancing and trimming it .