RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerodynamics-76/)
-   -   question about my 4 star60 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerodynamics-76/11082959-question-about-my-4-star60.html)

tlojak38 05-16-2012 06:57 AM

question about my 4 star60

Hello all. Please don't laugh if I don't ask this question correctly. I'm new to aerodynamics. Ok here it goes. I'm setting up hi and low range on my dx7. Now, on the instruction video I watched on YouTube, he started talking about putting in incidence. When I went in to the dx7, it gave me the option of linear, or to put a degree of incidence. My question is, are my wings on the Sig linear, or what degree of incidence do I have, and how does that affect the sweep of the Servos? How might I figure out incidence, so I don't have to keep asking on here. Thanks for any help. Todd

pimmnz 05-16-2012 09:54 AM

RE: question about my 4 star60

The generally accepted definition of 'incidence' is the angular difference between the chord line of a wing or stabiliser and some datum. It has nothing to do with your radio. The wings on your model may have 'incidence', but you will have to measure the rigging angles of the thing against some external datum to find out. It seems that you are confusing 'incidence' with 'exponential' which is something your radio can do, and it simply adjusts the amount of reaction from the servo arm per each degree of control stick movement, such that the servo movement is no longer proportional.
Evan, WB #12.

tlojak38 05-16-2012 11:45 AM

Ok, you are correct, I did get the two confused. But thanks for explaining it to me. I'm new to "setting up " a plane, and I'm getting terms confused. I think I have all control surfaces correct now, and hi, low rates set up. Thanks for the help. Todd

Campgems 05-16-2012 02:43 PM

Todd, it would be a good thing to get an experienced guy that is familiar with your TX and have them show you how to setup the Expo. A lot of the older guys told me that " you need to learn to fly without it" Thats a pile of B.S. You got it, use it. If one of your experienced guys tells you that, thank them and go find someone else.

The reason though that I suggest someone that is fimilar with your radio is that different brand radios define positive and negitive expo different. Your goal is to soften the movement around center, and harden it the more stick you give. Dual rates go hand in hand with expo. You want a high and low rate setup, each with its throw limits and expo. Early flights should be done on the low rate, large expo settings untill you get the feel of the plane, then you can start dialing in more throws and firmer sticks.

By the way, the 4*60 is a great flying plane.I've had two of them.I suggest that you NOT use the steel landing gear screws though. Qty 4 of #10 nylon screws or three 1/4" nylon screws will save you some repair time after your early landings. The landing gear mounting plate is not very stout, so screws that shear off before ripping the mount out is a good idea. If you ran off the runway at our field, and snagged a wheel in a goppher hole, the nylon scrws would save the day.

Don

tlojak38 05-16-2012 05:12 PM

Thanks Don. I have an idea who I want to talk to, but I think only one guy uses spektrum, and its a new dx8, so I don't think he knows too much about my dx7. But ill check around and see what I can find.

Campgems 05-16-2012 05:32 PM

The DX8 guy will most likely be able to help A Futaba guy (Me) won't as the programing steps are quite different although the end results are the same.

Good luck with it and let us kow how It's working out. Just a thought, you might ask on the RC Radios forum. This isn't unique to the 4*60 so you should get a ton of hits over there.

Good luck

Don