RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerodynamics-76/)
-   -   Ailerons on just the top wing? Can of worms? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aerodynamics-76/7488348-ailerons-just-top-wing-can-worms.html)

Avaiojet 05-12-2008 07:16 PM

Ailerons on just the top wing? Can of worms?

1 Attachment(s)
It appears as though not too many modelers get involved with Scale model bi-planes that have ailerons only on the top wing.

I have no idea how I know this, but it may be why the Grumman F3F-1 is so unpopular?

We hear of the smaller version of this model, kitted by Polk's originally only to wind up with the label of Aristo Craft. At 48" and sportiing a Clark Y, as an airfoil, not to mention the only ailerons were in the upper wing, did it fly and how well?

My interest is certainly the F3F-1, but at 1/5 scale. A standard semi-symertical airfoil with agenerous thickness and a span of 70".

Facter in the bottom wing and you have plenty of squares.

However, that bottom wing has no ailerons! Am I looking for problems with this build? Or will this model be OK?

I value your expert opinions and they will be apreciated.

Thanks,

Charles

khodges 05-12-2008 07:49 PM

RE: Ailerons on just the top wing? Can of worms?

The PT-17 Stearman is one of the most popular of all scale bipes, and only has ailerons on one wing (lower, in this case) Many of the best WWI models (and full-scale) only have ailerons on one wing. (Dr-1, D-VII, SPAD VII and XIII, Nieuport 11, 17, 24, and 28.

All are great performers as models. I can't tell a lot of difference in my friend's 1/5 Stearman's roll rate compared to my 1/5 Waco's roll rate. Easier to keep the appearance clean if the ailerons are on the bottom wing (No wires showing), but there are ways around that.

R8893 05-12-2008 09:30 PM

I have a Fokker Dr1, Handley Page 0-400, and Curtiss P6E with ailerons on the top wing. I suspect the Aristo Craft kit was designed as a control line model. Toughest thing I see on the F3F is the landing gear. Robart and CJ have retracts for the F4F (which I understand are slightly different). No commercial retracts available.

pimmnz 05-13-2008 12:00 AM

Heck, even the Beech 17's only got ailerons on the top wing.
Evan, WB#12.

rmh 05-14-2008 11:03 AM

ORIGINAL: pimmnz

Heck, even the Beech 17's only got ailerons on the top wing.
Evan, WB#12.
top wing -bottom wing - - both work -the mechanics of each is th big difference
IF th craft flies at low angles of attack and the wings are are placed at same relative angles to the rest of the airframe - no real differences should crop up - but many older full scale craft flew at high AOA simply because they were heavy - especially military craft - they were really turkeys . face it - nostalgic -but still turkeys
If you slide on over to really nimble bipes susch as the various Buckers , the game changes
much later on the Pitts also showed how well bipes COULD really work when they were not weighted down with military requirements.
fast forward the 2007 aerobic FAI world championship in aerobatics of 11 lb 2 meter max size - was won by a US contestant flying a bipe - with extremely thin wings and ailerons top and bottom.
Now- back to sleep -