Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 30cc Edge 540 build

Damon,

Here are a couple close up pics of the landing gear area from the inside. Hope they help...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt56416.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	1626911   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj26918.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	1626912  
    ~ Rick - AMA 640771 ~
    Takeoffs are optional... Landings are mandatory... and just say *NO* to Yellow Tie-Wraps!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As you can probably figure out by looking at the pics above, I temporarily mounted the engine and worked out a straight forward throttle linkage (note servo position) I really think Aeroworks is not providing the correct servo mount for throttle in this kit. There is no way in hell it is tall enough to install as per manual. Hindsight, I could of flipped the carb over and mounted the servo on the opposite side, but that is not what is depicted in the manual. Where I have it (on it's side) will work out fine..
    ~ Rick - AMA 640771 ~
    Takeoffs are optional... Landings are mandatory... and just say *NO* to Yellow Tie-Wraps!!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am not sure what problems you had, but mine went in smooth as silk. Take a look at the earler photos
    Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don't really see a clear pic of your throttle servo mount, but the one that does show it, it appears yours is taller than the one I got in my kit. Mine has oval holes on the ends where yours and the one depicted in the manual is a perfectly round hole and definitely appears taller than the one I have. Measuring mine, it is 1 1/8" tall. If I would of placed the mount to the tank floor per the manual there would of been an extreme angle between the carb arm and servo arm, nowhere near a straight shot. I would of had to add at least 3/8 or more of an inch to the bottom of mine to get it in line with the arc of the carb arm. I decided against adding material and went with what you see in the pic...

No worries, where I put it is working out fine, just different than what the manual described. With it being on it's side, I I strategically placed it to where I could get at the servo mounting screws and the servo arn screw by removing the ignition switch on the opposite side of the fuse. Worked out slick. =)

~ Rick - AMA 640771 ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks guys,

I have it sort of tacked together, but need to go over it with epoxy. I also have to make and sand a newer front quarter panel as that was pretty much a total loss. I am thinking that I am going to build it up a little tougher this time. I know that if it goes in, it is going to break, that is a given, but I am just trying to reinforce it some without adding much weight. I thank you all tremendously for the pictures, as they are goiing to make it easier to make sure I have everything correct... BTW, lol, it's not easy getting inside those things.. LOL!!! And like Bemeson, I think mine had a round mount also. I get confused with my bipe, because I know that it came with two mounts, so I may be wrong, but I know I had to do a little bending on the line to get it lined up correctly, so it may be the same as yours Bandit.. I will have to take a look this weekend when I try and finish it up..

Good flying! And thanks again guys, as this is my first piece of woodwork on a plane ever...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glad you're getting it pieced back together, Damon. Now it'll have distinctive qualities to it. =) Thankfully it wasn't a total loss, huh.... For my throttle servo mount, a slight kink in the rod wouldn't of gotten me even close with the mount they provided. I think someone else in this thread had similar issues and fabricated their own mount and mounted it to the side. I just used the provided mount and side mounted and have a straight line shot to the carb arm now. =)

After 2 evenings work it's progressing well. I could conceivably pull a late night tonight and finish her, but I've got other planes that need flying tomorrow weather permitting, so will get a little more done on her this evening then a good nights rest tonight and get back after it tomorrow evening...

Got a question.. My DLE 30's spark plug had a spriing in the package with it, is this a spare for the one that's already in the boot?? Documentation that come with the engine is useless IMO, thankfully we have RCU and other forums to glean valuable info...

Name:	Vt56775.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	1627228   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf13999.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	1627229  
    ~ Rick - AMA 640771 ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: HelividD

*Thanks guys,

I have it sort of tacked together, but need to go over it with epoxy. *I also have to make and sand a newer front quarter panel as that was pretty much a total loss. *I am thinking that I am going to build it up a little tougher this time. *I know that if it goes in, it is going to break, that is a given, but I am just trying to reinforce it some without adding much weight. *I thank you all tremendously for the pictures, as they are goiing to make it easier to make sure I have everything correct... BTW, lol, it's not easy getting inside those things.. LOL!!! *And like Bemeson, I think mine had a round mount also. *I get confused with my bipe, because I know that it came with two mounts, so I may be wrong, but I know I had to do a little bending on the line to get it lined up correctly, so it may be the same as yours Bandit.. I will have to take a look this weekend when I try and finish it up.. *

Good flying! *And thanks again guys, as this is my first piece of woodwork on a plane ever...

HelividD,

I am very sorry to hear about the bad landing on your 30cc Edge! Hopefully your repairs are going well, I have attached a few pictures of the landing gear mounting block, please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

We also have replacement fuselages in stock if you decide to go that route.

Mark

Name:	Ca80283.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	1627262   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy78086.jpg 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	1627263   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rw57359.jpg 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	1627264  
    Team Aeroworks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's a spare and make sure you keep it cause when you pull the boot off one of these days you will loose the original one. I took the one out of the boot and slid it on the spark plug. I believe its on the to prevent any feedback. Make sure you change out the stock DLE plug for a NGK CM6. The stock plugs are junk and they will cause more problems it you try to use it. A good place to set your needle prior to starting for the first time is 1 and three quarters out on the high needle and 1 one quarter out on the low. These setting are pretty close and will get the motor started easily.
    Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kewl.. Nice of them to provide a spare. Working on the tedious tasks of installing ignition, opti kill switch and battery. Routing all the wires as tidy as possible for a clean trouble free install. Still to do is plumb and install the fuel tank, install the rudder, do the pull pull rigging, install the tail gear and main landing gear, install a receiver switch then go over everything thrice... Thanks for reminding me about the plug, I'll pick up a NGK CM6 on my way home from flying tomorrow. If the LHS has an 18X8 or 18X6 Xoar,I'll pick one up and use one of those for break in...

I'm way ahead of schedule for a July 4th weekend maiden, hopefully the weather will co-operate. Tomorrow looks to be an excellent day for flying though. =)

Name:	Hf98125.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	1627307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zf87622.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	1627308  
    ~ Rick - AMA 640771 ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don't waste your money on a break in prop plus you will never use it again. Go with a xoar 19X7 or 8 right out of the box. A 18X6 is way to small and you will over rev the motor. Jody from Valleyview gave me the tip on the prop and he knows what he is talking about.
    Make sure you balance it laterally and balance the hub as well. If you are unsure what I mean go to Redwingrc.com and watch the prop balancing video. Its really importand fore your airframe and for the bearings on motor.
    Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Meh, was an idea I was kicking around on the prop. I'll most definitely balance whatever prop I go with as I do all my props. =) Tidying up around the workbench and have planes for tomorrow on charge. Before putting my transmitter on charge I started programming the Edge and found the first hiccup. Seems the opt-kill switch I have is not functioning. I'll look at it again later with fresher eyes and brain, but at first test, it doesn't appear to work at all. =/ It's not a show stopper but would be nice to have for safety sake. One good thing that happened this evening, UPS dropped off the DLE 20 for my 60-90 Extra 260. =)

~ Rick - AMA 640771 ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Figured out the problem with the opti-kill. Nothing wrong with the switch. The negative pin in the connector coming out of the ignition module was loose. Reinserted the pin and re staked it and all is well. Now I can go to sleep peacefully. =)

~ Rick - AMA 640771 ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well... was hoping to report an excellent day of flying today. All in all it was a good day if it wasn't for me finding a hole in the end of the runway with the left wheel of my 74" Extreme Flight Yak and cracking it's landing gear mount. Damage isn't too bad (see pic), much less than what Damon suffered and will be an easy enough fix... Just hate when runways reach up and bite you like that... Flew the snot out my little electric 3D Hobby Shop' Extra SHP though =)

Name:	Bz77355.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	1627417  
    ~ Rick - AMA 640771 ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maiden for the Edge has been put on hold. =( One of the Hangar9 1-1/4" golden arms stripped out on the servo. I'll order a set of AirWild 1-1/4" arms to put on her and replace ALL of the Hanger 9 arms as my trust in them has diminished greatly... I'll tweak on the engine while waiting for the arms to arrive...
    ~ Rick - AMA 640771 ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Make sure that you have drilled out the hole that has the screw to hold it to the top of the spline. I have experienced the hole being too small and it will not allow the side bolts to pinch the spline tight enough and it moves around. I have had to do it on everyone that I have used. I bet that is the issue.

Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

These arms have no side bolts to pinch to the spline of the servo. I speculate this arm was a defect from the factory... I'm just glad I discovered it during the build and not in flight...
    ~ Rick - AMA 640771 ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh.. it came in at 10lb 9 oz and balanced perfectly without any fuss or added weight...
    ~ Rick - AMA 640771 ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi guys, thanks for all of the pictures. That is the first thing, as they were a help, but Iactually ended up needing to fabricate quite a few parts. It is back together and I will post some pics later. But, I truly can't thank you guys enough..

Next thing, I actually got a 19" Xoar. I went ahead and did it because after getting it finished, since it was a nose down hit, I wanted to make sure nothing was out of alignment. One thing that I did notice and it has continued(this was prior to the crash), was that with the smaller prop(the 18*10 zinger I was running), the thing suddenly once again began producing more power. Much more than before. It's not lean or funny sounding, just revving like mad, and it took off like a mad bat for the second time. Well, after putting the Zinger I had left on it, I decided to tach it. The sucker was turning 8080, so I was like ok, this is soo far beyond the limit, that, it made me afraid of blowing the motor. So, I replaced it with the 19, which did bring it back down into a more reasonable range, but now, after I remember speaking with the guys from AW after first getting the model that they had propped it and clocked it at 135 or somewhere around there with the DLE30 in it. I now can believe it, because, the engine wasn't running hot with the cowl on, and just made sure I tached it, but this motor is crazy! I am more afraid that the 55 is going to be like this also when it finishes seating in my Ultimate. I know they indicated that the power increase is more gradual than with the thirty, but I wish I had the equipment to do a thrust test! I would be extremely curious as to what the weight in pounds it is pulling...

I will report back later as I am going flying, but I am hoping I will get a bit of airbraking action as far as approaches, as that thing could from 3/4 stick, glide ridiculously long distances.. But we will see.

Just for facts, I am running Saber at 64:1 also. Bemeson, you have quite a bit of time on yours also, how is the power in yours? Is it a bit on the insane/ballistic side for you, if you decide to do a full throw pass with that propellor? Also, which series is yours? Mine is a IIPS(from what I remember) and it is a much thinner and bladed like propellor than what I am used to even for the Xoars?

Bandit: dude, sorry about your hard touch down, it's, a dissapointment to hear anyone's landing not going 100% smooth to the point of needing repairs. Hope you get her back in the air soon..

Happy holidays and great flying to everyone..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have experienced great power from my motor, but remember I am at 6000 feet above sea level. Secondly, I never put a 18 inch blade on mine for just the reason you indicated. I knew I would experience super high rpms. The motor makes peak horse power around 7600-7800 rpm and that is why I told you to run a 19X7 to start with and move to a 19X8 when it was broken in. The 19X8 hits the sweet spot when your motor is broken in due to the fact it will idle slow enough to allow the plane to stand still. If the plane still moves then its not broken in well enough.

I have over 80 flights on mine and its perfect. I fly mostly at 1/2 throttle and will use 3/4 when I do long uplines. You are correct when you go full throttle with this little plane it will in fact reach speeds over 110 mph. The down side, the plane will not withstand that kinda of speed and gforce very long.

I have changed my servos to much tougher servos...ailerons and elevators of 170 ounces and rudder 270 ounces. 130 ounce servos will not take that kind of abuse for long. I bought the plane to perform scale aerobatics not to Red Bull Air Race, so each is own. I love the plane and I now wish I would have purchased the 50cc AW Edge. Bandit, my plane came in about the same weight as you.

This plane is the best plane I have ever flown and if you go to AW's site and go to the 30cc edge, you will see the maiden flight of my plane. I posted a pic of my new project and its good, but not as good as the edge.

Name:	Db86158.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	1631048  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice SBach Brian, is it GoldWing's or Redwing RC's 30cc ARF? I too have another project heading my way and will hopefully have it up on the bench late next week. I ordered a 50CC Extra 260 from Aerowork's Summer Sale offerings. =) Have a DLE 55 for it and the SWB arms I ordered for it will go on the Edge and will order more arms for the Extra 260. They should be here Tuesday. Still need to order servos for the Extra 260 so there's no hurry.

Have run a half a tank of gas through the Edge out on the porch and that's all I plan to run it on the ground. The 1-1/4 low and 1-3/4 high needle settings were spot on and will leave them there for now. Thanks for the settings. =) Waiting for the engine to cool down and will bring it in to go over it with an iron to remove the wrinkles that developed while being out in the sun and check all bolts nuts etc and tighten where necessary...

~ Rick - AMA 640771 ~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Its a Goldwing. Version 3. Before you buy any servos send me a pm. I may have just the right servos for you.

Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well,I did not know that, and you have to forgive me, but I am not one to take "internet guru's" at face value. I will generally call a company such as Aeroworks and check what they say.. They come a dime a dozen in all types of forums. I was just asking a question as far as your experience compared to mine. I run BLS352 servo's and have been on all control surfaces for a while now. I run them in my heli's and I know they are accurate and perform well, not to "Red Bull Air Race". I do basic aerobatics myself, and am concentrating more on the pull of the plane versus the speed, which means diameter versus the pitch, and vice versa. My goal was to get better with this model in order to do slower aerobatics. If I wanted to have a higher power to weight ratio, I would have purchased a Bach since they are lower in weight. Instead, I went with a larger biplane, which flies even slower and up until today, more docile. So yes, to each their own..

And another reason I asked is because I looked at your video on the AW site and you do much of what I do, and at the same throttle levels(it has been rare that I have gone full throttle simply from the warning given, but yes, I have revved the engine before.. Thats like having a bike or powerful car and just seeing what it can do at least once, but that is me). I find no need to go over 3/4 either. But, I guess it doesn't matter. You didn't really answer my question, but, yes, my plane, even with the 18" prop has sat still since the winter. You did not specify whether on grass or on concrete. On concrete, the larger propellor does, indeed make it sit at probably two clicks idle lower, but that is it. On grass, it has never moved(and no, my wheel collars are not on too tight, etc).

You have to remember, I was new to gasoline airplanes, but I no longer am, and was simply asking a question. It wasn't that deep dude...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Heli,
    Have a nice 4th and relax a bit. You are reading more into the post than was meant.
    Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, my fault dude..

I am going to try your needle settings and see how it goes. I have a pretty decent gurgle that I just can't seem to get rid of. And I found out that, that the propellor I purchased(and subsequently cracked) was an electric one, but I will be buying another one and just in case for anyone else, the PJN series are for electrics, so watch out, as they are distinctly thinner and different looking in their profile and width..

Ok guys, I am off to try and set needles. I will let you know how it goes with mine. Hopefully as well as the others you have instructed. I am also thinking about changing out the plug just to change it. That is something I don't know.. How do you clean them? If I can find anything I will post a link.

Thanks though Brian,

Damon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, I watched a few and the theory was pretty much the same. But here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-p1xPYCTzQ

Maybe someone else has input also, and hopefully it will help someone else like myself..

D

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast