Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 30cc Edge 540 build

First off, I would like to thank everyone who has posted in this thread.  This is my first gas plane, and this thread has helped me tremendously.    I have a question about the choke.  I am thinking about putting in a servo to control it, not sure if I need it, but I have an extra servo and channel so I figured what the heck.   Is the choke either off or on, or is it like a throttle where it can be set to many different setting?  I have a slider control on my Futaba 8fg, would this be a good way to control the choke servo if it acts like a throttle, or can I just set to up to a switch to turn it on or off?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry, I forgot to tell you I have a DLE 30 in her.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rrlock

First off, I would like to thank everyone who has posted in this thread.* This is my first gas plane, and this thread has helped me tremendously.* **I have a question about the choke.* I am thinking about putting in a servo to control it, not sure if I need it, but I have an extra servo and channel so I figured what the heck. **Is the choke either off or on, or is it like a throttle where it can be set to many different setting? *I have a slider control on my Futaba 8fg, would this be a good way to control the choke servo if it acts like a throttle, or can I just set to up to a switch to turn it on or off?

You can use a servo, but the lighter you build the plane, the better it will fly. If you look back trhough the posts you will see how many of us made the manual choke. It is easy. The nostrils on the cowl make a perfect place to activate the choke and its out of sight. Try not to add any additional weight

Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

all my planes are over powered and I love them. I'm thinking to put dle 55 on this plane. is it to much for airframe?
    real men fly gas

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Inmy opinion would be to much for the airframe and the dle 30 will take this thing out of sight in about six seconds. Might be an issue with balance also.

Jeff

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I doubt a 55 will fit in the cowl. Not needed anyway.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Problem. Need help. My plane took very little trim and is flying hands off straight and level great. C.G. is dead on and lateral balance also. Overhead vertical uplines are great too. The right rolls are awsome but my plane doesn't roll axial to the left. Wants to kinda barrel around a little. Where do I look first? Rudder, aileron differential, of something else. I've had many people look at my set up and everyone says everything looks straight, true, and proper. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Jeff

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jchorsejeff

Problem. Need help. My plane took very little trim and is flying hands off straight and level great. C.G. is dead on and lateral balance also. Overhead vertical uplines are great too. The right rolls are awsome but my plane doesn't roll axial to the left. Wants to kinda barrel around a little. Where do I look first? Rudder, aileron differential, of something else. I've had many people look at my set up and everyone says everything looks straight, true, and proper. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Jeff
    I would check the throw on your surfaces with a digital guage. I bet you have ailerons that are not equal in throw.

Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Also make sure that each elevator 1/2 has the same throw and are even.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fourty flights and I can tell you this plane is strong. Spent the last two weeks flying in strong texas crosswind and I tested the landing gear out. This plane is holding up to everything great. Waiting for the mail to bring my digital throw meter so I can try to figure out the aileron roll problem.

Jeff

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fourty flights and I can tell you this plane is strong. Spent the last two weeks flying in strong texas crosswind and I tested the landing gear out. This plane is holding up to everything great. Waiting for the mail to bring my digital throw meter so I can try to figure out the aileron roll problem.

Jeff

Jeff,
    Have you just taken a ruler to the ailerons to see if you have equal through(up and down). If its is as bad as you described, they must be off by a great deal. How did you set up your throw since you did not have a digital guage, did you use a ruler?

Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hey guys. I didnt re-read all the posts. I was looking at the photo gallery on the AW website and it looks like the firewall is cut and moved back in the picture with the DLE mounted on it. Is this plane set up to run the DLE30 without modifying the box, or would I have to cut stuff up?

Id be affraid to do that and have the right angle on it and try to get the proper length so the spinner matches up nice.

Thanks,
    Jeremy
    86" Aeroworks Extra 300, RCGF 60cc
    70" Revolver, DLE20
    57" The World Models P-51, TT.61 pr

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You do not need to do any modification to the engine mounting block. In this thread you will see everyone had to actually extend the dle 30 engine standoffs to get the spinner clearance for the cowl. The dle 30 is a easy installation in this plane.

Jeff

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I ordered the side force generators for this plane. Should be in this week. Don't know if I will like the way they look but will be interesting to see how the flight characteristics change. Anyone else have these?

Jeff

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bemeson

I posted a pic of my new project and its good, but not as good as the edge.
    It's hard to find anything that's as good as an AW
    If you think you can or think you can\'\'\'\'t, you\'\'\'\'re right.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've only watched this shakedown about 50 times
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaYlGd4lcR8
    If you think you can or think you can\'\'\'\'t, you\'\'\'\'re right.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You do not need to do any modification to the engine mounting block. In this thread you will see everyone had to actually extend the dle 30 engine standoffs to get the spinner clearance for the cowl. The dle 30 is a easy installation in this plane.

Jeff
    cool, thanks. Im still going back and forth between this plane and a goldwing MX2. I like the looks of the MX2 just because Im not big on the color of the 540. Im sure its more attractive in person. And I know that the 540 is a better flying aircraft...

So I will probably end up going with the 540. Flight is obviously more important that looks. But the kid in me still wants the "look cool stuff".

The MX2 was designed for the V1 DLE30, so you either have to move the firewall back, or cut a big hole in it for the carb to poke through, and cut the stand offs about an inch. I dont like that. And the stabs are glue in. Pretty much everything except for the color scheme is better on the 540....

70" Revolver, DLE20

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The MX2 is a far inferior plane in either the Redwing version or Slip Stream. The MX2 may last a season, the AW plane with last several. The quality on AW is fantastic. I have over 300 flights on mine and its been rock solid. I think its the best plane I own. I liked it so much I bought the 50cc Version of it. I hated the Orange when I saw it, but now I have three orange planes, SBACH 50cc, EDGE 30cc and Edge 50cc.

The AW plane is an assembly and definately not a build. Everything is included with the exception of the spinner. IMHO the AW plane is a far superior product than the MX2.

Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Go with the Aeroworks you will be very happy. The dle 30 fits but I had to use 1/4" spacers that came with my AW 50cc extra 300 to get the prop hub at the correct distance. If you do go with the AW edge when you mount the throttle servo make sure you leave enough room to get a hex wrench in there to tighten or loosen the stand off bolts. I found out the hard way that I mounted the throttle servo to close and I could not loosen the lower left bolt when it came time to take the dle 30 off.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You will like the color scheme better when you see it in person.

Jeff

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Im sure Ill go with the Edge.

Did you have to use longer bolts because you have to push the motor forward with spacers?

Thanks,
    Jeremy
    70" Revolver, DLE20

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does the plane come with the decals pictured in the gallery or not?  The manual says that you can buy them from AW, but then I looked at their decal page, and there isnt any for this plane. So im assuming that It comes with the stickers.

Thanks
    70" Revolver, DLE20

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mach2

Does the plane come with the decals pictured in the gallery or not?* The manual says that you can buy them from AW, but then I looked at their decal page, and there isnt any for this plane. So im assuming that It comes with the stickers.

Thanks
    The graphics that come with the plane are the ones that show on the AW's site. Several of us have changed the graphics. I did not need 1/4 spacers on my plane due to the fact I only wanted to a little less than 1/8 between spinner and motor. I think I used a single 1/8 washer. No need to use longer bolts than what came with the motor.

This may seem kinda strange...do yourself a favor and read the build thread from the beginning and all these question will be answered. Another great function is the search? If this plane is the one you want the build thread will greatly assist you in putting the plane together. Reading the thread will take you far less time than asking questions that have been previously answered.

Just a thought

Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wish I would have went with the aftermarket graphics. The only non enjoyable part of the plane was putting on the decals that came with it.

Jeff

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have read A LOT of this thread, but its 17 pages, and my searches on this site rarely yield any thing at all. Maybe I dont use it right.  Plus im searching and researching specs on other planes, so my mind is getting all jumbled up with specs....

I read the entire manual for this plane including the addendum.  I asked about the firewall because I thought it maybe a change in the construction of it for some reason. Like it was made originally to mount a certain powerplant, then it was changed later. If you look at the photos in the AW gallery, the picture of the engine box differs greatly in length from the picture with the engine mounted to it. The triangle stock has also been shaved down in the pics with the engine mounted up.

Thank you for your helpful info. I dont take everyone's info for granted.  I think ive settled on this plane. I know i wont be disappointed in the quality and flight of it.

Jeremy
    70" Revolver, DLE20

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast