Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

30cc Edge 540 build

Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

30cc Edge 540 build

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 05:49 PM
mach2
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 30cc Edge 540 build

ORIGINAL: jchorsejeff

Wish I would have went with the aftermarket graphics. The only non enjoyable part of the plane was putting on the decals that came with it.

Jeff
haha. i was surprised to see that with how everything is so well dont with the plane, that they make you use transfer paper to put the decals on. Most stickers are made with the transfer paper right on them...

Old 03-20-2012, 05:52 PM
mach2

ORIGINAL: jchorsejeff

Wish I would have went with the aftermarket graphics. The only non enjoyable part of the plane was putting on the decals that came with it.

Jeff
Old 03-20-2012, 07:47 PM
rcmichael
My Feedback: (21)

I live in Colorado at 5000 ft elevation. I have a moki 2.10 on 7.5% nitro. Spins a 20 x 10 bolly at 7800 rpm. Has anyone tried this engine on this plane? It seems like a good match!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:44 AM
bemeson

I have not tried this combo, but if your numbers are correct it will fly great. I live and fly in the Denver Metro area and my plane came out at 10.75 pounds and the DLE 30 spins a 19X8 Xoar at around 6600 rpm. The plane flies like a giant foamy. How heavy is the moki compared to the DLE.

Brian
Old 03-21-2012, 09:31 AM
mach2

wow man. My revovler weighs 9.8 pounds with the dle 20. What batteries are you using?  I use a hobbico life 3200 with the IBEC. Im gonna use that in my 30cc plane too.

Throwing the smoke system in it (if everything works out and i do put it in) will put it right at 11 pounds even....
Old 03-21-2012, 09:58 AM
bemeson

Mach,
I use a 2100 life on the receiver, 1700 Life with inline diode on ignition, two switches, digital servos, DLE 30 on a pitts, no pilot, no dash, carbon spinner, and stock tank. Just the essentials....nothing extra. That is how it weights 10.75 pounds dry.

If you add all that stuff on your plane to include smoke tank, smoke unit, large battery, your plane will be closer to 12 pounds with tank loaded with smoke oil. This plane will not be the light weight nimble plane anymore, but a dog lumbering in the air. The plane flies best keeping it light with no extra useless equipment.

I guess if you are just flying circles than it would be okay, but this is not the plane for flying circles even though it could. This plane is completely different than your revolver. The revolver is a pocket knife and the Edge is a straight razor.

I think I would rethink your position on this unless you want just a larger sport plane.

IMHO

Brian
Old 03-21-2012, 10:19 AM
mach2

Im not a 3D flyer. I just sport fly. I dont plan on competing or anything, but I just do IMAC type flying for fun. Im just taking one step at a time. I am a competitive person, so I wouldnt be surprised if I end up doing some type of competition at some point haha. I enjoy watching freestyle competitions, and can see myself going to that direction later...

The main reason im looking at this plane is because it has a great flying characteristics. My revolver flies good. But really doesnt like to slow down. The edge can be taken out by someone like joe nall or rj gritter and do absolutely amazing things. Im looking at it because ive seen how solid it is at slow flight. The review that can be found on the AW page is what really made me consider this plane.

So i guess in a nut shell, yeah, I want a bigger sport plane.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:11 AM
bemeson

If you load it up with a ton of weight it will not slow fly either. That was my point. This plane excels due to it being light weight. If you make it a brick it will fly like a brick. Its about basic flight principles. Low wing loading equals great slow flight. High wing loading like your revolver makes for speedy landings or it will fall out of the air. Make it easier on yourself and keep it light. The pro guys want there planes light for the same reasons.

Just sayin
Brian
Old 03-21-2012, 12:29 PM
mach2

Thanks for the points. A smoke system doenst have to be permanent. I could always put it in if i wanna run some smoke and just be aware that the stall speed is a lot higher, and remove it when I want to do more maneuvers and slow flight stuff.

The revolver has foam core wings, stab, elevators.....well everything but the fuse. It is a great flying sport plane, but as you pointed out not on the same level as the AW planes. For the money, its great!

It does however have unlimited vertical (without the smoke system) with the DLE20 and 17x6 xoar. The weight of 9.8 pounds may not be extremely accurate as i dont have a great scale for it. I simply stand on my wife's digital scale, then again while holding the plane and figure the difference. A scale made for a lot of weight isnt going to be too accurate to tenths of a pound.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:51 PM
jchorsejeff

Agree! Build this plane as light as you can. Jeff
Old 03-21-2012, 06:44 PM
bemeson

Mach,
I am just trying to help you out. I may be wrong here, but it appears your experience in larger gas planes (esp Aerobatic planes) is in the beginning phase. I was lucky enough to have very good experienced pilots help me set up my first few gas planes. One thing they continued to tell me over and over is keep the planes light and simple. Extra junk is just room for failure points.

Mark from AW has helped me a great deal. He knows what he is doing and is and exceptional pilot. If you got to AW site and check the video on the 30 cc Edge, you will see my plane. If you think I am blowing smoke, watch the end of the video and you will see Code 3 Innovations on the side of the plane where Aeroworks decals should have been. I have included a link to the video. Give it a look and you will see how slow the plane can land with no wind. If you load up the plane it will not fly this way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=7w4NBj3WA_0

Take a look

Brian
Old 03-22-2012, 06:50 AM
stevehookem
My Feedback: (2)

I have the Extra 300 with the DLE 30cc. It's essentially the same plane. Very tight, straight lines and lands as a floater. My plane is 10.55 pounds dry.

I added the Sullivan Smoker, tank, battery, etc., and the plane was not the same! Not to mention that you only have room for about 10oz of smoke oil which gave me about 2 minutes of smoke. Not worth it. I pulled it all out. That extra amount of weight completely changed the flight characteristics. It was no longer as agile and the landings had to be HOT!

Keep it light and you'll love it!
Old 03-22-2012, 11:07 AM
mach2

Thanks guys. Im excited about this plane.

And nice flying Brian!  The plane looks gorgeous in the video too!
Old 03-22-2012, 11:23 AM
bemeson

You picked an excellent plane...you will not be dissappointed...make sure before you begin building it do the following:

Read the entire thread for all the information

Read the AW manual in its entirety to include addendum

It will go together very quickly without a hitch....if you are looking for some excellent servos for the plane give me a ring or PM me and I will help you out. I used SAVOX 1258 TG's on all the surfaces...They are more than you need, but they can be upgraded to a 50cc in the future if you wanted to.

Brian
Old 03-22-2012, 11:46 AM
stevehookem

I use the Savox 1258TG as well. Super fast, so much torque. I won't use anything else from now on.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:53 AM
mach2

Thanks. Ive read the manual and addendum, and it looks like like its a great "assembly". And im not one of those "i know what im doing guys". I read everything about 4 times before I actually do something. "measure twice, cut once"

I planed on using some Hitec 645MGs. I had them on my Revolver and they are way more than I needed. My friend flies his 50cc goldwing raven with them and he said they work great on it. Remember, im a sport flyer. I dont put much demand on the servos...

Thanks again,
Jeremy
Old 03-22-2012, 01:56 PM
bemeson

Those servos are as slow as malassis. The centering is okay, but not accurate. On a plane like this, do not skimp, use good quality fast digital servos or you will be very dissappointed. This plane is not a sunday cruiser like your revolver. Its a high performance plane that requires high perfomance gear. The flying surfaces are twice what your Revolver has and put a great deal of stress on the servos. Read AW instructions in the beginning. It talks specifically about what servos to use.

Brian
Old 03-22-2012, 04:22 PM
airborne2.4

Bemeson, you're right about Hitec 645MGs being slow.
I love these: http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/dig...hs-5645mg.html
Old 03-22-2012, 04:44 PM
jchorsejeff

This is a good plane and deserves good servo's. Don't go cheap if you do it will be just another plane.
Jeff
Old 03-23-2012, 05:49 AM
stevehookem

I've never had servos as fast and precise as the Savox 158TG. They have such high resolution that the flight surfaces will bounce if you let the sticks pop back on their own. You can see it! 

What I like is that they are precise. They center the same way, every time.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:13 PM
bemeson

ORIGINAL: airborne2.4

Bemeson, you're right about Hitec 645MGs being slow.
I love these: http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/dig...hs-5645mg.html
Those use to be premium servos in the day, but they have had problems with centering after extended use. For the price or a little bit more you can get far better servos these days. I did use those at one time, but now I am a Savox guy and I do not see myself going back anytime soon. Once you try the Savox the only thing that compares to them is the Futaba BLS servos.

Digital servos are worth there weight in gold. When you purchase an precision airplane, you need to use high quality servos or you are just pissing in the wind. IMHO

Brian
Old 03-25-2012, 12:24 PM
DLEVETT
My Feedback: (13)

Has anyone tried one of these planes with a Saito 180 in it?

Dave
Old 03-25-2012, 02:29 PM
jchorsejeff

Put fourteen flights on the edge this weekend. I think the side force generators gave the plane some more stability and helped knife edge. About got this plane dialed in just need to add some mixes, it pulls a little to the wheels and wants to roll out just a bit in knife edge. Easy enough to fly it through it, but I think some mixing will help. Great flying plane!

JEFF

Old 04-09-2012, 04:43 PM
DLEVETT
My Feedback: (13)

Can someone with this plane measure the wing panel dimensions for me.
I,m looking wing panel length, root width and tip width.

thx
Dave
Old 04-10-2012, 02:57 AM
schutter

Been, reading up ALL 18 pages of thread haha, and finally ordered the 540 Edge today should be here by the end of the week, also ordering alot of things from Aeroworks themselves, as a guy Named Jeff was very helpful with completing my setup and giving me information that my LHS couldnt.

i will be using the DLE 30CC/with J-tec Pitts, Hitec 5645's, and a DS 620 for throttle( i had sitting aroundfrom my heli's) JR921X/w Sat for Rx, Carbon spinner/side force generatorsfrom Aeroworks, and a Xoar 19X8, and 19X7 for break-in.

A couple things left are, im having trouble finding good Li-ion batteries at my LHS, but i have several JR 1500 4.8V Rx packs sitting around aswell as two LiFe 5C 6.6 Volt 1600mah packs too. I seen some pics on this thread of ppl that are just using the 4.8 JR pack for the ignition, is that suffice? but im not sure even my LiFe 1600's will get me many flights on the Rx/Servos? Also is the Opti-kill a good buy? and finally i dont know if the Hitecs come with proper servo horns or is that somthing i need to buy seperatly?

Thanks Guys and more questions coming im sure when i start the build.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.