Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 30cc Edge 540 build

As a heli guy, yes, with the electrics, we see them all the time when connecting the packs to the speed controllers(I use Castle ICE's in heli's and Pheonix's in the foamies), and it doesn't hurt anything, just a little shocking(no pun intended) the first time you see it. You also get it on a smaller scale when connecting foamy batteries. The only time I do not get them is with my Duralite regulator and the reciever packs on the nitro machines. But for 2S straight to speed controller, always a little pop. But no, never an issue with the deans and micro deans connectors on packs I have been using for over two years(on my 450's and foamies, not to mention my tank that I run off a 2S lipo also).

I actually got a chance to fly the Edge yesterday. I was terrified as I really didn't know what to expect as far as power and flight characteristics were concerned. My first flight was a bit bobby as far as the elevator(with all my aerobatic planes I have experienced this and did not know why until yesterday), as I only run 14 degrees on the ailerons and elevators, but, as I talked to a seasoned "big gas plane cool guy" explained to me, that he runs a ton of expo. I know a lot of extreme 3D guys run tons of expo on their helicopters, but because I have flown more mild aero's with my machines, I never ran over 35% on anything. This all changed yesterday and after I upped my expo to 55%, the plane was smooth as silk and still rolled with plenty of authority(at least for me and as he stated, it's good for IMAC style flying the way I have it set up) for me. He did an extremely nice flight also and I learned a few things yesterday that is critical: First, LOL, I can't trim airplanes.. LOL! Second, I have a long way to go with my airplane flying. However, I had a ton of fun in the cold with the plane, and it flew great for both of us.

Unfortunately, I didn't think at all about bringing my camcorder, and I wish I had, as it was so funny to see me doing figure eights, set the plane down, and he starts doing 4 point rolls, flat spins, inverted and upright knife edge and more with it. It really put me to shame, but, lol, we joked and I said "hey, at least it's trimmed and I flew level and landed good". He told me, that it does take a little getting used to, as I have never flown a gas powered model, and when I pushed the throttle, even at it's rich state, it yanked the plane into the air. It had great vertical also as he took it to the point of me barely being able to see it. He stated when we first got to the field that he was interested in how it flew, as many people had asked about the 30cc series of planes and especially that one, so he said he liked it very much and that I had set it up good. So, I felt good. The only thing it did was flame out on a nose down fast roll, but he indicated that he needed to idle up a little and did not prior to pushing it over. However, he simply leveled it, turned to the right , went across the field with it(it carried it's momentum that good on a dead stick), turned it towards us and landed just as smooth. It was extremely impressive. He told me for us to just keep flying it and for me to get used to it, which I think I will be able to easily do after the expo trick. I actually had some things that I had to take care of today, but I really wanted to take it out for a flight, as it is in it's 30's once again. But, the plane flew great and was responsive once again(I did a couple rolls and I fly with rudder), so it responded extremely smooth in general flight, but responsive at the same time when either of us wanted it to be. It was actually floaty in it's landing also, so it was great!! Only thing that happened was that one of the lower fuse ribs behind the battery tray, upon me placing the plane in the car, I snapped it, but I am going to simply do a little epoxy, and all will be great again.

Also, can't wait to run synthetic, the soot is killing me... LOL! But for the moment, I can and of course have to deal with it. Overall, I think I have a new "main plane" to replace my Funtana 125, though the Funtana is fun to fly also. :-) Just not as much power!

Overall, a great flying first gas model for me, and for someone who truly can fly(as I saw), extremely smooth, predictable and responsive. Not to mention, easy to build. :-)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great flight report - glad you had fun! It will be nice when you can relax an fly in some warmer weather :-)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, it really is a fun plane to fly once it's trimmed out. It's a bit of learning curve for me, as I can fly em' but am not great in trimming them yet(at least new ones LOL, nerves...), but just like with my heli's, I am sure that will come with time.

I am going to change oil's I believe once I burn out the gas that I have left. I know there was a poll, but I cannot remember where I saw it. My "fellow buddy" that I flew with, told me the name, but I did not write it down and I forgot the name. I cannot remember if it's the Red Saber or Purple something. But I will find out for sure.

But, back to the plane.. Yes, it is a ton of fun and a person will not be dissapointed with it whatsoever as far as my flying can tell. :-)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine will be at my door on friday .Cant wate I was going to order the Extreameflight 50cc edge. but I have to young kids an i felt guilty for spidding that much right know.
    So i sprung for this baby. Saved some good money so I don't feel bad at all. can't wate for friday!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yahhhh!!!!! I found some Saber right down the street. Now, I am all set!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just ordered my edge!!! Can't wait to put it together.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You guys will be very happy with the plane. The only bad thing is once you have built a AW plane, you will be spoiled and only want AW's ARFs. They really mean quick build and the quality is awesome.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks! I had the AW 46-60 edge. It was my best flying plane. Ready to get this one in the air.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have flown both. This plane is much crisper and flies lighter than the 40-60 plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the 46-60 too with a JBA 15cc I know I'm gonna love the 30cc when I get it
    If you think you can or think you can\'\'\'\'t, you\'\'\'\'re right.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just ordered a 30cc Edge today............I've had 7 Aeroworks planes, this one is the smallest..( I love the Edge by the way and its orange to boot!)......Top notch quality ever time..This one should be a blast with a 30cc, looking forward to it. Great thread by the way.... Keep the posts coming
    Every plane has a expiration date!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I played a little last night with my build. I must say that as much of a first class kit this is I felt the tie wrap choke setup looked like an after thought and a quick get me by at the field. I just couldnt bring myself to use it. Here is what I did.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Db85489.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	1544036   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Av69630.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	1544037   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lq38213.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	1544038  
    I was once told \"You can not fly too fast\" and never was really sure what they ment?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cool! Great idea......Looks alot better than the zip ties.
    Every plane has a expiration date!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I mentioned to AW about that tie wrap crap they liked the idea but I guess they haven't had time to act on it

Your answer looks great. Thats where i'm going to go with it. Whats it look like on the choke end?

Thanks for sharing.

RR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RadioPhlyer

I mentioned to AW about that tie wrap crap they liked the idea but I guess they haven't had time to act on it

Your answer looks great. Thats where i'm going to go with it. Whats it look like on the choke end?

Thanks for sharing.

RR
    I somehow lost the ball link that was for the choke assy on the throttle so I just used a link I had in my stock of rc stuff.

Name:	Sp45527.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	1544205   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kg15024.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	1544206  
    I was once told \"You can not fly too fast\" and never was really sure what they ment?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great idea tripower!! Now if you could only produce hhhmmmm lets say several hundred of em that'll be cool You could put me down fa one I don't even have my AW 30cc Edge/DLE 30 yet

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are you guys using spacers with the stand offs?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: airborne2.4

Are you guys using spacers with the stand offs?
    Yes, I seems like 1/4 inch spacers are the right size for the DLE 30 with the stock standoffs

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice choke set up looks like i,m going to get on the mill in a few days . Still installing servos.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

NOTE TO BUILDERS:

The manual says 6 5/8" from the prop flang to firewall. On the DLE 30 a 5/16" spacer will put you there however the gap from the spinner to cowl is a bit much for my taste I suggest a 1/4 spacer setting the flange at 6 9/16" you will have a nicer gap. Plus if you use the jtec muffler it helps with clearance as you will find the need to grind the muffler to get it to fit inside the cowl (be carfull not to go through). bemeson showed how he had to do it in an eariler post (page 4), and I had to as well, the farther back the motor is the better (without your spinner gap getting too small of course).

Of course all of this is providing the the predrilled cowling mount hole stay consistant in manufacturing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tri-Power its looking good and funny thing the choke holder looks remarkably like the one I used earlier in the post with a tad bit of refinement. Its looking good. I used 1/4 inch spacers and I posted pictures of the install earler in the post as well. I am on flight five on my build and everything is coming along nicely. The plane is everything I hoped for and more. I added some graphics to make it look like its 100 cc big brother. I posted a picture or two to let you guys see what it looks like. I am still dialing the plane it, but I am loving it more every day.

By the way the HD power servos are holding up nicely.

Name:	Qo39529.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	1544259   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wt58903.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	1544260  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

bemesom,
    love the graphics did you get them from AW if not where and how muche where they?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

www.aerographix.biz

They made the graphic for me and it was around 26.00 dollars. I believe this company makes all the graphics for AW. Ask for Brian he will take care of you. It took a bit of measuring and talking on the phone, but he got it right. He was very nice and they made them right away. If I need any more graphics he is going to be the guy I use. They look pretty good IMHO.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

did you do the wing also?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No due to the fact the other graphis kinda get in the way. I did not want it to be exactly like its big brother. Just a taste. Too much of the tear thing is kinda gaudy..IMHO

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast