Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

Loose aileron hinge

Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

Loose aileron hinge

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 04:53 PM
5150flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose aileron hinge

A just did a thorough review of the condition of my AW YAK 54 50cc after 75 flights. It is holding up well, but I did find that an outer aileron hinge has completely detached itself from the wing. I can move it up and down 1/16 of an inch by flexing the aileron. The aileron side of the hinge is fine. Does someone have an idea how to fix it?

BTW...many have stated in this forum that the landing gear breaks loose over time. After about 100 landings, my gear plate is rock solid. The plane is easy to land in anything up to 20 to 25 mph. I did dork one landing in high winds, but the damage was minimal.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2009, 07:26 PM
gregg660
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Loose aileron hinge

Dab a little Vaseline on the hinge joint and shove some gorilla glue into the gap on the wing side. Spray a little water on it before putting it in while on the tooth pick. You don’t need much to activate it. Keep the wing flat, only lifting to wipe the seeping glue. The glue expands and should fix you up.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:13 PM
5150flyer

ORIGINAL: gregg660

Dab a little Vaseline on the hinge joint and shove some gorilla glue into the gap on the wing side. Spray a little water on it before putting it in while on the tooth pick. You don’t need much to activate it. Keep the wing flat, only lifting to wipe the seeping glue. The glue expands and should fix you up.
I tried your system and it worked great. It gets the glue right where you need it. Many thanks.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:12 PM
tomfiorentino

Hey guys....

At the end of last year I had two flights with some flutter and I believe it was on the ailerons. I'm getting things ready for after the darn snow melts in upstate NY, and upon close inspection I can see very slight movement in and out on several of the hinge points.

Two options:

1. I picked up here on RCU that some guys cut the hinge at the joint and then melt the points out with a hot soldering iron. Then they clean the hole with a piece of sharpened brass tubing; replace the hinge.

2. Rather than do that, I have an idea to inject some gorilla glue at/near the end point of the hinge and let the glue expand toward the hinge joint. I work in healthcare and have some 20 gauge needles that I want to try; too bad I can't xray the wing! So I'm hoping someone has had the covering off an Aeroworks 50cc Extra 260 and can tell me what is in there by the hinges before I start putting holes in the covering.

Is the control surface side just soft balsa stock? Does the trailing edge side of the wing, stab and fin have blocking? What can you tell me in this regard?

Also, any other ideas are welcome too.

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Tom
Old 03-29-2013, 09:34 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tomfiorentino

Hey guys....

At the end of last year I had two flights with some flutter and I believe it was on the ailerons. I'm getting things ready for after the darn snow melts in upstate NY, and upon close inspection I can see very slight movement in and out on several of the hinge points.

Two options:

1. I picked up here on RCU that some guys cut the hinge at the joint and then melt the points out with a hot soldering iron. Then they clean the hole with a piece of sharpened brass tubing; replace the hinge.

2. Rather than do that, I have an idea to inject some gorilla glue at/near the end point of the hinge and let the glue expand toward the hinge joint. I work in healthcare and have some 20 gauge needles that I want to try; too bad I can't xray the wing! So I'm hoping someone has had the covering off an Aeroworks 50cc Extra 260 and can tell me what is in there by the hinges before I start putting holes in the covering.

Is the control surface side just soft balsa stock? Does the trailing edge side of the wing, stab and fin have blocking? What can you tell me in this regard?

Tom
Tom,

Is your plan to peel back the covering and expose the hinge point inside the wing? Then put the GG on the point nextto the wood? That plan should be fine.

I thought that maybe the needle could be jabbed into the wood from beneath, right on the hinge point, and GG injected. It might be less work. You will know when you hit the plastic part
Old 03-29-2013, 10:54 AM
tomfiorentino

ORIGINAL: MTK

ORIGINAL: tomfiorentino

Hey guys....

Two options:

Tom
Tom,

Is your plan to peel back the covering and expose the hinge point inside the wing? Then put the GG on the point nextto the wood? That plan should be fine.

I thought that maybe the needle could be jabbed into the wood from beneath, right on the hinge point, and GG injected. It might be less work. You will know when you hit the plastic part
Mattk,

Thanks for the response...

Yes, I want to avoid peeling covering so I'm thinking, like you, about jabbing through the covering. I'm not sure if Aeroworks used a block behind the hinge-point for additional gluing surface. I made a little diagram. Not a huge deal, but I'm just thinking the needle goes in a different spot depending on the presence of a block.

Please see attached!

Thanks again,

Tom
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lj23044.pdf (312.1 KB, 37 views)