Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

Engine for AW yak 120

Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

Engine for AW yak 120

Old 11-19-2013, 05:46 AM
ameyam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine for AW yak 120

Hi,

having a tough time deciding what engine to install on the AW Yak 120 for 3d- whether a dle20 or dle30 or the 120ax. Also what mods to make if I use the 30. Please advice

Case in point I have all 3 engines. But the 120's high running cost make it undesirable. That does not mean I cant use it- I have enough klotz-100 for 4-5 months but getting plain methanol is getting difficult

Ameyam
Old 11-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Aero-Works

Hello Ameyam,

I would recommend the 30cc for unlimited power. There is no modification required other then cutting out the cowl larger to accommodate the larger cylinder head.

Please give our tech department a call 303-371-4222 if you have any more questions

Thank you,
Rocco
Aeroworks
Old 11-19-2013, 05:53 PM
ameyam

Hi Rocco,

am located overseas so calling will be expensive.

Have two issues with the 30

1) the overall distance from the standoff end to the hub is 162 mm whereas that on the yak is 144mm
2) overall weight of the airplane

Can you suggest how to address both

Ameyam
Old 11-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Aero-Works

Ameyam,

Because it is a Yak with a round cowl it is OK and typical for the engine to stand off more then normal. Also, you can use slightly shorter length stand offs and let the carburetor set inside the firewall a little and you can move the cowl out slightly by making the holes in the cowling longer.

The overall weight of the plane will be higher but you can reduce weight with battery selection, smaller fuel tank “Gas gets much better fuel economy then Glow” and using Carbon Fiber accessories.

If you are looking for an all out 3D plane that was designed around the 30cc-35cc class engine have you seen our 30cc Freestyle 260 model? Visit: http://aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=518

Let me know if you have any more questions

Thank You
Rocco
Old 11-21-2013, 12:30 AM
ameyam

Hi,

I dont want to buy another airplane now as I already have two AW airplanes.

Would you suggest to get the OS GT22 for this airplane? I have the dle 20 and the 30, but not the GT22. I intend to use the dle muffler or the Jtec compact wraparound muffler to save weight. If you suggest the GT22, I have to buy the muffler as well. So, unless there is really a benefit, I would not like to buy it

Ameyam
Old 11-21-2013, 09:13 AM
Aero-Works

Ameyam,

Completely understand I didn't realize you had the plane already and thought you were asking questions before purchasing the plane and engine.

I agree the OS GT22 would be lighter then the DLE30cc and have more power then the DLE20cc. I don’t have any experience with the GT22 but we did run and test the GT33 and it was very impressive!

Thank You
Rocco
Old 11-21-2013, 06:25 PM
ameyam

Well, the GT33 is just too heavy. I will go with the 30. Do you have a template for the hole in the firewall that needs to be cut to recess the carb?

Ameyam
Old 11-22-2013, 10:29 AM
tom2bell

Sorry we don’t have a template for the hole in the firewall. Since the Yak 54 is older design for us the DLE 30cc was not available at that time to fit it to this airframe.

Thank you
Tom
Old 11-22-2013, 10:41 AM
ameyam

Ok. I will figure it out

Ameyam
Old 12-07-2013, 07:48 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Ameyam, I have a friend with a DLE30 in this same plane. He did have to cut the hole in the firewall to clear the carb. Even with a shorter stand off the engine is a little further forward than the instructions show. As stated above, it looks fine because of the round cowl. As far as powering the plane, I think it is a good combo. He was able to get it to balance without adding any lead. It is a challenge to fit everthing in the nose of the plane but by moving the fuel tank as far back as possible the ignition and batteries did fit. The plane only has two flights on it so I can't give you a detailed report there. Not only that he is more a sport/IMAC type flyer so the plane is set up with mild throws. I have flown it and it is VERY smooth. The rolls are as straight as an Ultimate and that is saying something.
In conclusion, while it did take some extra time on the bench to get everything in the right spot. I think it was well worth the extra time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yak.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	678.8 KB
ID:	1945546  
Old 12-07-2013, 09:38 PM
ameyam

Well, the AW is practically hermetically sealed in its double cardboard box. I had another Yak from Phoenix Models that was in just a paper box that was further damaged in transportation. So the choice was simple- I opened up the Phoenix and am setting that up with a Turnigy 26cc. At 850g total, the Turnigy 26cc was a insurance policy for the AW Yak to keep the weight down. Another advantage of this is that any issues I have with this engine will manifest on a cheaper airplane. I am not expecting too much from the Phoenix Yak because its 66" span and heavier than the AW. Once I am through with it, I will also be used to the way a Yak flies so I will be much more comfortable with the AW.

So the AW build is deferred to somewhere in February or March

Ameyam