Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

Need a wing....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 10:04 AM
308jockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a wing....

Afternoon all,
I spent a good bit of yesterday dodging raindrops and flying my Aeroworks 50cc Yak 54, one of my favorite planes. All was well until I was taxiing back and tripped over a 12v starting battery. I managed not to hit the ground too hard but the TX came out of my hand and next thing I knew the plane was taxiing at full throttle!!! No one was close by or in any danger fortunately, if anyone had been there I'd have shut the engine down and simply carried it back to the pit area, standard practice at our field. Unfortunately though, the plane was headed right for the outhouse. It hit the structure and broke the left wing in half and broke the prop. No other damage. So now I need a new left wing for this plane. Since Aeroworks is no longer around I am hoping someone will have a good left wing for this plane they would be willing to part with. Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks.

Rick H.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:32 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Now would be a good time to practice your building skills and put that wing back together. you have little to lose and much to gain.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:34 PM
308jockey

I practice building skills almost every day, there is always something being built around here. What worries me is that both spars broke in this accident, both in the same spot. Gluing it together and bracing it would be simple enough but I'd always worry about it. The other problem is that this is an ARF and the covering has its own pattern. No way I can duplicate it. I could also build an entirely new wing panel but the covering issue will remain. I'll repair or re build if need be but would rather purchase a replacement if one can be found. As I said it is a favorite plane.

Rick H.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:38 AM
donnyman

I don't wish to sound holier than thou but I would completely strip that wing and try to fit all the pieces back together with some bracing no thicker than 1/16" the skills you pick up on the way will last a life time and save money. as to the covering. that's were many get hung up because they want pretty/cool when it don't mean beans. the idea is to have a good flying plane. that didn't cost a fortune.

I feel buying a new wing is something anybody with the money can do. and doing so limits you and you do not progress in this hobby If you can afford it, buy another wing and use the broken wing to further your skill set. I'll bet you could do a fine job of it. and if you do, don't forget to balance the wing through it's center wing tip to tip. Use this as a learning step.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:10 AM
308jockey

I'll repair this wing and build a strong brace at the break and it will likely be fine but I'll always have it in the back of my mind. As for covering there are several colors, checkerboards and other patterns that I can't duplicate. It will always look like a repair and while it will fly fine looks count for something. Actually most of my builds are finished in Sig dope. The funny part is there is another Yak at my Dad's house waiting to be flown, exact same plane. I could just fly that one but I have fun repairing and restoring planes, cars, boats and so on. You have a point, anyone with money can buy a wing, in this case if one can be found. This one will fly again one way or the other.

Rick H.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:35 AM
donnyman

Now your on the right track! Of course the repaired wing be on your mind, and the fear is ever present. but if you get it back in the air it's your bird! not something put together by whomever. use the repair bird as your knock around bird.

The fear of crashing and the desire to look good is a anchor around your neck and will always be that negative that keeps you from venturing forward and taking that chance. The best looking whatever isn't worth that hill of beans if it doesn't give you the satisfaction of knowing you did it. success or failure isn't important it's the journey that counts.

OH! and yes you can produce the good looking finish on your bird. you just need to start somewhere!
Old 11-17-2017, 06:02 AM
308jockey

I've been away from this thread for quite a while but just to update, no wing could be found, so the original was repaired. I did get someone to re-cover it as he is very good with iron-on and I am NOT!! Worth all the work and cost, it flies beautifully again and I couldn't be happier with it. The funny part, I mentioned there is another one at my Dads house, it is still there and still hasn't been flown this year. It is my nephew's plane and life has sort of caught up to him. Graduation, new job, new wife, new house, that sort of thing Need to check those batteries. Thanks everyone.

Rick H.