Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

Looking for the PT 17 Aeroworks Sterman Manual

Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

Looking for the PT 17 Aeroworks Sterman Manual

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 12:36 PM
Spacewalker 1
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for the PT 17 Aeroworks Sterman Manual

Bought a Aeroworks PT 17 at a swap meet. I would love to get a copy of the manual. Need to know the CG and are the flying wires required or for looks. I would appreciate any input you might have. Thanks
Old 01-14-2019, 06:49 AM
harttvboy04
My Feedback: (32)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Same here!

Can’t find a manual anywhere, and need to know if the flying wires are needed and what the CG should be .
Old 01-14-2019, 09:24 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Based on other plans the rear limit of the CG is just in front of the bottom wing LE.

There is a means to calculate a starting point for a Biplane. Looking at it from the side, measure the front to rear distance from the top wing LE to the bottom wing TE. Calculate 28% of this and measure that distance back from the top wing LE. It should put you somewhere near the thickest part of the top wing and almost half way from the LE.

For the wires, based on the size of the model I would say most definitely. At least do the flying wires (the ones that go from the lower fuselage to the underside of the top wing.). But I think you really need all wires. The alternative could be so much scrap.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:40 AM
harttvboy04
My Feedback: (32)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the prompt reply! Mine isn’t actually the Aeroworks, but it’s the same size and relative feature set (all the way down to the cowl being included and the shape of the tail feathers/empennage and included hardware looking almost exactly the same from photos). I think Dymond Hobby distributed this potentially off version, since I know revisions were made to the Aeroworks to improve it.

Does anyone know if the wings can be made detachable, or are there any tricks/tips for building?

Thanks again . Super excited, I have a Saito FG60r3 en route for this plane. Should be a perfect match!
Old 01-15-2019, 08:32 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a variety of ways you can go about making the wings removable. Bottom wing would typically attach the same way most basic models do. A pair of nylon bolts near the TE Center and a wood dowel or ply tab on the LE Center that plugs into a socket in the fuselage bulkhead.

Top wing then is nothing more than bolts that hold the wing to the struts. Depending on the make up of the struts will determine the attachment method. Typically there's a 90 degree metal tab on the strut. Each part of the tab has a small hole drilled into it through which a bolt will go. One bolt holds the tab to the strut and the other to the bottom of the wing. If the strut core is piano wire, the tab can be wrapped around the wire and soldered to it. Again, lots of ways depending on the make up of the struts. You'll also need hard points in the wings at the strut locations. Keep in mind too, accuracy in building the struts, especially the center ones, determines the incidence of the top wing. Must be as dead on as you can make it or flight characteristics could be impacted.