Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

Introducing the new 90-1.20 Yak QB

Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

Introducing the new 90-1.20 Yak QB

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 07:18 AM
Syssa Aircraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Introducing the new 90-1.20 Yak QB

jzinckgra (I think it was you that was having the coupling problems)...you may have some downthrust in your engine...double check to see that you dont...

Other than that I dont know...maybe check to make sure there is not already some mixing in your computer radio...

I hope my Yak-it-ee-yaks have little coupling...from what I hear they dont have much coupling at all!

Thanks! Good idea on the pins by the way! I think I will trim the pin slightly so it does not hit.

Thanks to all about the cg/battery placement on this plane...I will find out exactly how it goes later today as I will finally have all the components to put this together!
Using all Hitec digital servos HS5985 MG for rudder and HS5645 MG for all else but throttle...and I got a Sullivan Gas tank 416 because it can go right up against the wing tube and not hit the canopy when it is on...otherwise I would have used the stock one.

Nice work AW! The quality is very nice on both my new Yaks! Now I just need a few hours to finish building and go fly!
Old 08-15-2007, 09:19 AM
Bandit
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Zippi
I was talking with Rocco at Aeroworks and he says that there is an Extra 260 .90-1.20 in the works...

psssst Rocco..... I vote the new Red and White with checkerboard scheme... [sm=thumbup.gif]

Rick
Old 08-15-2007, 10:56 AM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: tsyssa

jzinckgra (I think it was you that was having the coupling problems)...you may have some downthrust in your engine...double check to see that you dont...

Other than that I dont know...maybe check to make sure there is not already some mixing in your computer radio...

I hope my Yak-it-ee-yaks have little coupling...from what I hear they dont have much coupling at all!

Thanks! Good idea on the pins by the way! I think I will trim the pin slightly so it does not hit.

Thanks to all about the cg/battery placement on this plane...I will find out exactly how it goes later today as I will finally have all the components to put this together!
Using all Hitec digital servos HS5985 MG for rudder and HS5645 MG for all else but throttle...and I got a Sullivan Gas tank 416 because it can go right up against the wing tube and not hit the canopy when it is on...otherwise I would have used the stock one.

Nice work AW! The quality is very nice on both my new Yaks! Now I just need a few hours to finish building and go fly!
I'll check on the downthrust. thanks.
Also, as far as the landing gear goes; you could always try nylon bolts, that way if you have a hard landing, they shear off, usually sparing damage. Now that I am more used to this plane, I can land it like a trainer. I'm happy so far.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:29 PM
hitcttd
My Feedback: (8)

someone tell me how a 125 will fair! I have one drooling over its potential home!!!
Old 08-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hitcttd

someone tell me how a 125 will fair! I have one drooling over its potential home!!!
I had asked about the saito 125 also for a friend. The OS 120AX I have in mine seems to be the perfect power plant for this plane so I couldn't imagine how it would be with less power. Of coarse everyone is different in how they like to fly and how much power is enough or to much. 3D flyers like enough power to have a good pull out but to fly pattern, aerobatics, etc. you don't need as much so I guess it depends on how you plan to fly. Still curious about the 125 though.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:41 PM
Lormuhl

I have seen and have flown with a Saito 125 yak, mine is a SPE26 powered. The 125 had slightly less pullout of a hover than my SPE26. I am swinging a 17-6 and he was using a 16-8. Both snapped the same, rolls were axial, knife edge the same. The 125 seemed to run out going verticle, whereas the SPE26 kept pulling. The 125 has a slightly faster top speed, but not by much. The best thing when we were done, was he had to clean his, and I just disassembled and put in the car. What ever engine you use 125, 120, SPE26, EVO26, 150 or 180, the plane is a joy to fly. In my opinon gas is the way to go, cheap to operate, easy to clean. If wanting a 3D monster, the 125 wil be lacking, but for all around performance, it will work fine.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:59 PM
Vahn
My Feedback: (6)

What this thread is missing is some flight videos!

I don't have a video camera because I spent the money on a Blade CP Pro instead because I'm an idiot? It's actually a fun little toy and keeps my occupied with the 15 minutes of daylight I have left when I get home from work.

But I'm counting on the rest of you. Get to work!

Oh yeah, my birthday is coming up so I have to figure out which 50cc gasser from Aeroworks to buy.

Yes, I am bored.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:56 AM
Zippi

Vahn,

Good info about the different engines. I don't have a good zoom on my camera to take video but I'll see if I can get something this weekend. There is a video on the Aeroworks site at the bottom of the page.

http://aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=288
Old 08-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Vahn

There is a video on the Aeroworks site at the bottom of the page.
Sure. I've seen that video a hundred times tho.

I'm talking about the good stuff. Video of us real customers (and consumer advocates!) of the plane. I want to see someone torque roll on the deck! I don't think the OS 1.20 generates enough torque for it.

Zippi, we fly the same engine, I want to see some hover to vertical transition so I can compare if I engine-limited or engine-tuned and prop limited.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Vahn

What servos are you guys running ?
HS-5645 MG on the Elevators
HS-5985 MG Ailerons and Rudder
HS-625 MG on the Throttle

I wanted to go 5985 all the way around but at the time they were sold out in most places. I don't like the 5645, but not because of slop. It is visibly slower and makes hover corrections harder than they need to be despite a speed differences of only 0.05 at 6.0volt.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:59 PM
Ferocious Frankie
My Feedback: (7)

I decided to ditch the throttle servo mount and mount it in the servo cutout behind the fuel tank. It was binding because of the carburetor arm location on the Saito 180. Now I have a more positive throttle control. I'm going to have to get an equalizer from Smart-Fly because my 7 CAP doesn't have the split elevator capability, but I'm close to completion.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:30 PM
Zippi

Vahn,

If I do get a video I dout you'll see any hovering from me. I'm more of a Pattern/Aerobatic flyer.

Ferocious Frankie,

I didn't use the servo tray for the throttle either. It was a straight shot to the area at the bottom of the fuse. I have noticed that the paint at the back of the cowl where the canopy slides under is starting to come off. This is due to the vibration because it happened on my WH Extra 300LX. Clear finger nail polish worked on my Extra so I'll try it on the YAK 54.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:34 PM
ottrod

I have the Saito 1.25 in mine, but haven't flown any 3d with it. It seems to perform well in standard situations, but I know that comment is worthless to you 3d expert guys.

I did finally locate a digital fish scale to get a weight. Mine came out at 10lb 3 oz (including 6 oz of lead in the nose for balance to the recommended C.G.). (engine mounted 1/4 inch forward of recommended position), battery on top of engine box.. With a more aft cg, the additional weight may not be necessary.

My equipment:

I have one 1700mA Ni-cad battery pack, Spectrum DX-7 receiver, 2 Hitek 5985's on the elevators, JR 8611a's on the ailerons and rudder, and a ds821 on the throttle.

Sorry about not having any 3d reports, but I hope this information helps.

Keith
Old 08-17-2007, 12:08 AM
hitcttd
My Feedback: (8)

On the Saito 1.25

It seems to me like the 125 will power it much like how it powers the Funtana 100X. If this is accurate here is how it'll perform. Most of this was already commented but i'll review i guess..

Hovers are solid with enough power to pull you out of any trouble. Often times i find myself too low and in trouble, power up and fly a tight circle so that the plane gains speed and pulls out. Pull outs are solid but not Insane. Plane will pull out with grace, it wont rip out of a hover...

Vertical isn't unlimited, but will take you high enough to do long flat spin/blender/KE spin combos.

I don't think 3D pilots will rip their planes around at a hundred an hour, so top speed is a non issue.

My theory is that if your plane weighs 8.5-9.5 pounds, the 125 should be one notch under perfect.

I am going to pick one up pretty soon and will do a complete flight report for 125 owners

Beautiful plane, i'm really looking forward to it...

BTW my Funtana weighs 8.9 pounds.

THe only thing i'm concerned about is CG. That's going to be tricky to get right without adding extra dead weight...

My two pennies,

Thanh
Old 08-17-2007, 11:04 AM
Vahn

If I do get a video I dout you'll see any hovering from me. I'm more of a Pattern/Aerobatic flyer.
Then you got the wrong plane buddy! I'm just teasing you. It's Friday and beats working.

And you guys sometimes thought you had trouble with your approach? http://www.airliners.net/discussions....main/3562004/
Old 08-17-2007, 12:21 PM
rv9-a

On the Saito 1.25

My theory is that if your plane weighs 8.5-9.5 pounds, the 125 should be one notch under perfect.

Thanh
Thanh,
You are probably right, however I do not think you will get to that weight with the A/W .90/1.20 Yak on gas or glow. Mine weighed 6# 10 oz. before adding the stuff to make it fly. This weight could probably vary a few ounces either way for different planes. It had an original (minus fuel) flying weight of 10# 11 oz. The Yak gained 3 oz. after patching the holes for a side mounted engine in favor of an inverted engine.
I would think to get much below 10 pounds you may be leaving off things such as wheel pants and spinner, or possibly swapping out the gear for carbon fiber. I don't recall anyone in this forum posting a weight below ten pounds.
My plane has a Saito 180 and while I don't do 3d I can say that from slow level flight I can point it up, punch the throttle and go. My vision is limiting factor as to how high!

just my 1.5 cents

rv9-a
Old 08-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Bandit
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: rv9-a

On the Saito 1.25

Thanh
Thanh,
You are probably right, however I do not think you will get to that weight with the A/W .90/1.20 Yak on gas or glow. Mine weighed 6# 10 oz. before adding the stuff to make it fly.
Mine weighs 9lb 4oz with OS120AX, Bisson Pitts muffler, Hitec 5645 A/E, JR 8611 Rudder, and JR 821 Throttle servo. Tru-Turn 3" 'wide' spinner around an APC 17X6 prop, Fromeco 2600 LiIon bat. Everything else is stock.

Rick

Old 08-17-2007, 12:35 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Bandit

ORIGINAL: rv9-a

On the Saito 1.25

Thanh
Thanh,
You are probably right, however I do not think you will get to that weight with the A/W .90/1.20 Yak on gas or glow. Mine weighed 6# 10 oz. before adding the stuff to make it fly.
Mine weighs 9lb 4oz with OS120AX, Hitec 5645 A/E, JR 8611 Rudder, and JR 821 throttle servo. Tru-Turn 3" spinner around an APC 17X6 prop. Everything else stock...

Rick

That sounds right, as mine came in at ~9.5lbs with OS 108/Pitts combo. 5645's all around, TT spinner. I'm running a Zinger 16x6, but I think I am going to try a 15x8.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Lormuhl

Hitcttd, with the 125, make sure you build with everything forward in the fuse. You will need the nose weight. Your description on performance is correct. The 125 makes for a good all around flyer in this plane, if you are not a advid 3D er. Is anyone else using the SPE26 besides myself?
Old 08-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Zippi

ORIGINAL: Vahn

Then you got the wrong plane buddy! I'm just teasing you. It's Friday and beats working.

And you guys sometimes thought you had trouble with your approach? http://www.airliners.net/discussions....main/3562004/
Vahn,

You got one thing wright. It is Friday. The Aeroworks .90-1.20 YAK 54 is not meant for 3D flying only. Just because they use the words"3D" in the manual doesn't make it a 3D plane only. This plane was designed for both precision and 3D style flying. I prefer the precision side as do many others.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Vahn

The Aeroworks .90-1.20 YAK 54 is not meant for 3D flying only. Just because they use the words"3D" in the manual doesn't make it a 3D plane only. This plane was designed for both precision and 3D style flying. I prefer the precision side as do many others.
I know most Yaks are good for both. It's not like the kind of flying I do could be called 3D or Precision. It's Fun Fly at best as I learn a little at a time about both styles and practice manuvers.

I was just teasing.

I don't have an issue with someone who buys this airplane and then just flies percision; I don't have a problem with anyone who buys anything and then flies they way they want as long as they are safe.

Sorry. [X(]
Old 08-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Zippi

I know you were teasing Vahn, your just like the rest of us. You just want to go out and fly and have fun and be safe. This has become my favorite plane to take to the field. I'm heading out early in the morning for a full day of flying. We have been having temps in the 100 range and tomorrow is suppose to be in the upper 80"s. If my video guy is there tomorrow I'll have him run the camera for me, otherwise no movie this week. I was checking out my wheels and our concrete runway is taking a toll on them. May not last the rest of the summer.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:55 AM
Syssa Aircraft

Dont you just love gas!!!?!
Old 08-18-2007, 04:01 PM
calypso12

Vahn,
Since you were jealous of my OS160FX setup at the OCMA field today, I thought I would taunt you by posting a picture of it.
Keith
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23557.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	744569  
Old 08-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Zippi

calypso12,

Nice looking YAK dude. It should be insane with the OS 160 on the business end.

It was a geat day of flying today with the temp around 90 but a little on the windy side as you can hear in the video. My buddy that normally takes my video was not there but Bill did a good job. I have a cheap camera so the video isn't that good but it is a video.

http://media.putfile.com/Aeroworks-90-120OS120AX

This is a video of my buddy Tony and his Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 with a Saito 125.

http://media.putfile.com/Tonys-Ultimate-10-300

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.