Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

Introducing the NEW Aeroworks Pitts Python ARF QB!!!

Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

Introducing the NEW Aeroworks Pitts Python ARF QB!!!

Old 11-02-2009, 03:01 PM
reyn3545

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Introducing the NEW Aeroworks Pitts Python ARF QB!!!

Great.. thanks for the quick replies!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:53 PM
k8svrick

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have people running an 85cc engine on a 50cc airplane - and no has had airframe failure?
Old 11-02-2009, 03:56 PM
reyn3545

You could exceed the limits of the airframe with a small motor too... it's all about how you fly. I can certainly understand the need to match a motor and airframe, but it's usually the guy with the sticks that causes airframe failures.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:32 PM
k8svrick

Agreed. My assumption here is there are some folks who want to be able to go into rocket launcher mode and climb straight out of a hover; something I have read can't be done with the DA50. To each their own. I fly IMAC, so I don't need that much power.

We had a clear sky, virtually no wind and 55 degrees Sunday at our field in Columbus, OH. Too bad my Sullivan Skywriter crapped out again. Anyone got a recommendation on a better smoke pump? I want proportional control so I can use a spare channel on the TX. Smoke is going on the Pitts, but now doubtful it'll be another Sullivan.

Rick
Old 11-02-2009, 09:00 PM
reyn3545

yeah, it's a little hard to get 19 pounds to pull out of a hover with a 50cc motor, but an 85 is just a TON of overkill. I don't really want to put the 450 on this plane... not sure it would look that great, and I'd probably wind up scrapping it for the first Stearman that could find.

I never had great results with the sullivan system either, but I never tried anything else. I think the pump, tank, lines and battery probably contributed a pound or so to the 19 pounds on my first AW Pitts... a lot of weight for a little bit of fun. I had the same system on my 46% ultimate with a DA170... there was plenty of heat from that exhaust to make some great smoke.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:37 PM
k8svrick

The fault I found on round 1 with the Skywriter was 3 broken wires inside the aluminium housing. The method Sullivan uses to terminate the wires to the small circuit board makes them break after a relatively short period in operation; maybe 15 flights. Vibration with a 50cc engine isn't helping. I resoldered the wires back in place such that they wouldn't be stressed like they were before. It's totally inop right now. Repair will be a winter project.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:11 PM
jbarnes

I just picked one of these birds up on the latest sale and was wondering what you guys were using for spinners. Didn't see any specifics in the thread on spinner size and type. Thanks, Jerry.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

I am using a 3.5" Truturn Ultimate. A 3.25 should work as well. Post 291 on page 12 for pics.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Guardbum115
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdy gents, hopefully someone will see this since there has not been a posting in a few months now. I've been looking for a good pitts and the aeroworks has caught my eye, seems like everyone is very happy with the airplane and the company. I'm not looking for a crazy 3D'er, I appreciate aerobatic ability and love to roll & loop but I also appreciate the pitts for it's aesthetics and such.

Got a few questions for anyone willing to take the time to answer.

I was looking at a blazing wings pitts as well but my initial glance looks as it the pricing is around the same but the hardware/support with aeroworks may be supperior....am I on point here or not?
I'd probably put in a DLE-55 instead of the "standard" DA-50 simply because of price, I have a DLE-30 in my Yak-54 and I really like it.
Where is the best place to buy this airframe from? Aeroworks directly? I'd like to score a military discount from somewhere if able ; )
How is the availability and pricing on spare parts (wings, tails ete)?

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Old 02-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Super08

Yes, the hardware with the AW kits is number 1. Everything in the kit is usable unlike many kits which you must through it all in the trash. The DLE55 is a good match for it. You will need a shorter 2.5" set of standoffs for it or have the spinner stuck out a bit far. Aeroworks is great to deal with directly if you decide to go direct. I don't know who gives military discounts. Chief, Valleyview, TBM, and Tower all carry AW kits. Some of them like Tower have them drop shipped from Aeroworks. She's a great looking and flying bipe, you'll love it.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Guardbum115
My Feedback: (12)

Thanks for the inputs, I appreciate it.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:01 AM
thintz

I ordered my Pitts Python today and am looking forward to it! When I flew back 25 years ago I flew a Pitts and a Christian Eagle both had Quadras and both came in around 28 lbs which was considered pretty light for them back then. Lots of fiberglass and such. I hammered them around then without a problem and look forward to tossing this version around. I am using a DLE 60-twin and am hopeful that will be plenty of power. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has put that motor in this plane. I jus found his thread and will begin looking through it.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:29 AM
Aero-Works

Here’s on old video I found of our 50cc Pitts Python flown by Kyle “The Alien” Woyshnis.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvOXDL5JuXs

Thanks,
Rocco
AeroWorks
Old 10-08-2014, 08:38 AM
thintz

Originally Posted by Aero-Works
Here’s on old video I found of our 50cc Pitts Python flown by Kyle “The Alien” Woyshnis.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvOXDL5JuXs

Thanks,
Rocco
AeroWorks
Wow. And I remember an airplane in there now and then!
Old 10-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Super08

On your first flights you will find the roll rate is very fast. Once you get used to it you will find it a blast. Great plane to fly in high winds as it is esy to land due to the higher drag being a bipe.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:21 AM
thintz

Originally Posted by Super08
On your first flights you will find the roll rate is very fast. Once you get used to it you will find it a blast. Great plane to fly in high winds as it is esy to land due to the higher drag being a bipe.
I always enjoyed flying the Christian Eagle and Pitts way back then, in part because of how radical they were in the air but easy to land. I am really looking forward to this build! Whomever has the time machine, please turn us forward to Monday!
Old 10-18-2014, 10:44 PM
thintz

Just a quick update. I got my Aeroworks 50cc Pitts Python, got it built, test ran the DLE 60-twin yesterday and am sitting here at 2:30am waiting for morning to take it out for the maiden (Not anxious or anything!)
The DLE 60-twin fits in the cowl easily with just the plugs hanging out so I made those opening a bit oversized to help get air out of the cowl. The stock exhaust on this motor has long down pipes that keep the oil and exhaust out of the cowl and of most of the plane without having to add silicone extensions. I have read in other places that it is tough to hit the advertised 17-18lb weight but even with the DLE 60-twin, a SmartFly Powerexpander Sport Plus (with Ignition cutoff), two 7.4V, 500mAh LiPos for the radio gear and a 3200mAh, 7.4V ignition pack my Pitts came in, all up (no fuel) at just under 17.5lbs! I actually weighed it three times to be sue and each time the cursor line on the scale is just under the 17.5lb mark.
My camera man is out of town this weekend but it is going up today if the weather is at all helpful. I have a full review in the works and hope to have that out shortly after next weekend if we can get the video shot.
Stay tuned!
Old 10-19-2014, 04:42 AM
Super08

That is very light. Mine was around 19 lb or so.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:56 PM
thintz

Originally Posted by Super08
That is very light. Mine was around 19 lb or so.
I didn't do anything special to lighten it up. I expected it to be a bit heavy with the 60 twin but it's not and I'll take it!
Maidened it today, flew great in wind, even better when it calmed down some. Did 6 flights today, its an animal in the sky, the roll rate on high rates just amazes everyone.
More later. I'm bushed and very happy