Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

Aeroworks 96" Extra 260 ARF QB Assembly

Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

Aeroworks 96" Extra 260 ARF QB Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 01:25 PM
jonesjj3
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aeroworks 96" Extra 260 ARF QB Assembly

That is good news, shortening it is not a problem. Well we will see what happens with the CF one from AW, I just finished up re glueing the fuse so all is back together now and awaiting the wing tube.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:43 AM
RC4X4
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Aeroworks 96" Extra 260 ARF QB Assembly

jonesjj3,

Glad you were able to get her down ok. That is scary. The purple looks good and congrats on the maiden.

Cory
Old 05-16-2009, 01:24 PM
aegis

Default RE: Aeroworks 96

Bought the plane at Christmas and finally did the maiden this morning. Did the initial trimming and a few basic aerobatics (e.g., Cuban-8s,upright spins,and Lomcevaks). Istarted with the CGat 3 1/8" at the wingtip butam going to moveit back. Given Ifly IMAC-style and general aerobatics (as opposed to 3D), Iimagine I'll end up at 3 1/4"or 3 3/8". It didn't require any rudder or elevator trim but did require 5 clicks of right aileron. Given all incidences are dead-on and thelateral balance was checkedbefore the flight, Iwas surprised it required that much aileron trim. Ialways follow the overall trimming sequencedescribed byPeter Goldsmith and so will see where my trims/thrust end up once finished.

Idid just one flight, and just basic manuevers, but my first impression of the plane is that it is very responsive even at the recommended low rates, tracks very nicely, and can be slowed way down on landingwithout showing anysigns oftip-stalling.

Regarding the overall quality of the plane, I'm very happy with it.Ihad a 33% Extra from a different company prior to purchasing the AW, and the AW is vastly superior. I'll say that theAW doesn'tmimic planes I've built from kits, but the AW is still very good, especially considering the amount of work already done for you. Several people at the field took a close look at it and commented about the quality and the overall good looks.

My set up:

3W80 with about 100 flights but new piston rings
Pitts muffler
Vess 26A prop
TBM-brand CFspinner
Hitec 5955 servos all the around
H9 Pro-links all around
Usedtheplane'ssmoke tank for my fuel tank
AW CF wingtube and tailwheel bracket
2 x NiMHbatteries for RX, 1 x NiMH for ignition
Rudder servo mounted in the tail

Afew more comments-

1) Idon't have an accurate scale and so don't know the weight.

2) This is first time I've tried a Vess prop. At least with the "A"version, it really puts on the brakes when you bring downthe throttle. Not a bad thing, butthe amount of brakingcaught me by surprised on the landing.

3) The TBM-brand CF spinner is a little heavier than the Pete's, but the TBMuses just a single 10-32 screw to secure it.Nice andsimple. TBMwill trim the spinner and drill the backplate for, Ibelieve, $22.

4) Ifigure Icould drop about 3/4 lb. if Iwent with CF landing gear, removed the cannister tunnel, and replaced my NiMHbatteries with A123. I'll see how the next several flights go, but Idoubt I'm going to spend the money on the CF landing gear and/or A123 batteries unless/until Ineed to given the type of flying Ido coupled with the limited amount of flying time Ihave.

Dan
Old 05-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Rod Bender

Dan,

Congrat's on your maiden. Can you take a pic of  your battery, receiver. etc location in the fuselage? I am curious of your locations with a tail mounted rudder servo and your CG. Post a pic if  you can...

Old 05-16-2009, 09:30 PM
aegis

[QUOTE]Can you take a pic of your battery, receiver. etc location in the fuselage? I am curious of your locations with a tail mounted rudder servo and your CG. Post a pic if you can...[\QUOTE]

My ignition battery is in the fuselage compartment, under the fill line for the fuel tank. Idon't know the exact weight difference between the 3W80 and DA85, but the 3W engines have a reputation of being on the heavy side. The only pitts muffler Icould find is pretty heafty also, at least compared to the Johnson pitts Ihad on the engine at one point in time. With all this said, Iwas surprised where my batteries ended up given the rudder servo is in the tail. Ican move my enginerearward a little, but not more than 1/8" .

Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72880.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1199966  
Old 05-17-2009, 12:07 AM
Rod Bender

Thanks Dan,

Now after seeing your placement, and no removal of the can tunnel, or other balsa\ply in the front end, I'd really like to know your all up dry weight?

Old 05-17-2009, 02:12 AM
aegis

Rod Bender - Idon't have an accurate scale and so don't know the weight.

Dan
Old 05-18-2009, 09:35 PM
RC4X4
My Feedback: (6)

Hey guys. The 260 has beenflying fantastic. Finally got all the decals on from Bad Brad Graphics and I also used some of the kits ones.
I have about 14 flights on her now. I usually do 14 minute flights. Here's some pictures from this last sunday at the field.
Also pictured is the little brother .60-.90 260. Mine is done in electric.

Cory
Old 06-22-2009, 09:21 PM
mtnflyer14

I know this thread hasn't been active for awhile, but I have referred to it many times as I start the build on my own Extra 260. I am putting the ZDZSuper 80 in, and with the front of the prop hub at exactly 6 7/8 inches from the firewall, Ifind that the carburetor is sitting in the firewall. Looks likeIwill have to take quite a bit out of the firewall to make room for the throttle linkage and the fuel line on the bottom looks like it is hitting the base of the firewall where the triangle stock is.Has anyone else mounted the ZDZ Super 80 that might have some tips oradvice on this? Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Mark
Old 06-22-2009, 09:36 PM
dptp9lf

Mark,
I have a ZDZ Super 80 in mine and yep you have to hog out quite a lot of the firewall but it will still be plenty strong. I've attached a pic of the set-up i have so hope it helps. I have since done away with the choke servo as it's too hard to manage with the finicky nature of starting the engine.
Lyle

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35283.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1223035  
Old 06-22-2009, 10:18 PM
mtnflyer14

Lyle,
Thanks a lot; I have a much clearer picture in my mind now regarding the geometry of the throttle servo/linkage. Ihad planned on trying to rig a push/pull rod setup for the choke and your comments tell me that is the way to go. From the picture, it looks like you have taken enough out of the firewall that the engine can be removed with the carburetor attached?I had thought of trying to reduce the amount of firewall material Iremoved by installing the carb after engine installation, but that could be a real hassle.
Regards,
Mark
Old 07-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Jaketab
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hello,

Noise has become an issue at our field, so I would like to quite down my AW 75cc Extra with a DA-85.
No doubt a canister would work fine, but some day the Extra may be gone and I will be replacing with a 35% plane, so a tuned pipe may be a better option in the long term.

Has anyone installed a tuned pipe in the 75cc Extra? (Which pipe)
Notwithstanding prop rip, does the tuned pipe reduce the exhaust sound of the DA-85??
What is the measurement of the header drop???
Were there any special modifications made to install the pipe????

Thanks - Jaketab
Old 07-25-2009, 02:30 AM
aegis

I have the 3W80Xi in my plane and need to install a canister to reduce noise. I have the same header as what's shown in the manual and have the MTW TD110 canister. The place I bought the canister from said the inlet pipe is 1", which it isn't, it's 1.1", and the place I bought the header said the pipe is 1", which it isn't, it's .9. The coupler fits the canister fine but is too big for the header.

Mark - I didn't notice when first assembling the plane (with a pitts muffler), but in the manual where it shows the 3W install it looks like the coupler on the header side is kind of squashed to a smaller diameter, which would make sense given the header is smaller than the canister. Did you use heat on the coupler to soften it and then clamp it?

If nothing else, I'll just wrap the end of the header with something until the diameter matches the canister.

Dan
Old 07-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Aero-Works

Dan,

DA sales a step down coupler. It has a larger diameter at one end to fir the header and a smaller diameter at the other to fit the canister

They can be order direct form DA

Thank You
Rocco/Aeroworks
Old 07-29-2009, 09:07 PM
aegis

Rocco,

Thanks for the info. I contacted DA, and they acted like they had no idea what I was talking about regarding a step-down coupler. After telling the guy a couple times that their web page shows that they sell step-down couplers, the guy finally realized that they do sell them but said they have only one size, which is too big for the header from Cactus. As recommended by a person here an RCU, I put both clamps on the one end of the coupler that came with the canister and applied heat. I almost have it small enough to fit the header snugly. A little bit more heat will have it down to the needed size.

A general comment about the 75cc Extra - This is a really nice plane. I have only eight flights on it so far, but I really enjoy flying it. Very good overall quality. It gets a lot of positive comments at the field.

Dan
Old 07-30-2009, 08:28 AM
mtnflyer14

Concur on the quality of the 75cc Extra. I have the ZDZ Super 80 in mine, hope to maiden it on Saturday if the thunderstorms will go away here in Colorado.
FYI for anyone else with the Super 80 that has had starting problems; I opened up the low end needle to 2 1/4 turns and it started much better. It still looked to met that it took about ten flips with choke on, WOT, ignition off to get fuel from the tank into the carb. But about 10-15 flips after that it started and ran fine.
Regards,
Mark
Old 07-30-2009, 10:11 AM
dptp9lf

ORIGINAL: mtnflyer14

Concur on the quality of the 75cc Extra. I have the ZDZ Super 80 in mine, hope to maiden it on Saturday if the thunderstorms will go away here in Colorado.
FYI for anyone else with the Super 80 that has had starting problems; I opened up the low end needle to 2 1/4 turns and it started much better. It still looked to met that it took about ten flips with choke on, WOT, ignition off to get fuel from the tank into the carb. But about 10-15 flips after that it started and ran fine.
Regards,
Mark
Mark,
Thanks for that info. That is what i'm finding as well. Mine is starting easier with more engine runtime also. They talk about the 5-5-5 rule... for me it's more like 10-10-10 rule. We're both at fairly high altitude... which could make a slight difference.
Cheers,
Lyle
Old 07-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Aero-Works

Dan,

Thanks for the comments about the plane I am glad you have been happy with it.

Keep in touch and happy flying!

Rocco / Aeroworks
Old 06-17-2011, 12:49 PM
erwin peters

Hello Aegis, I just got a new extra 260 with the same problem that you had, I need about 5/32” up right aileron trim. How do you solve this matter???

Regards

Erwin Peters
Old 06-19-2011, 01:45 PM
aegis

Hi Erwin,

I still have the same amount of aileron trim as when I first flew it. I'm not able to get out to the field much at all and so never spent much time trying to figure out where the problem is. The wing incidences are at zero degrees, there isn't any wing-warp, and the horizontal stabilizer is level with the wings when viewed from behind, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Would be interesting to know if other owners of this particular plane also have to carry right trim.

Dan
Old 06-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never had any with mine, just a click or two of elevator trim.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Lins

What are most people ending up with for c of g? Mine at 3" is a tank, wants to drop the nose hardcore if it stalls, and wants to come in fast. Not sure if 3 and an 1/8 will do much, but I'm going to start adjusting at 1/8 intervals. Cheers!
Old 06-22-2011, 05:43 AM
Rod Bender

ORIGINAL: Lins

What are most people ending up with for c of g? Mine at 3'' is a tank, wants to drop the nose hardcore if it stalls, and wants to come in fast. Not sure if 3 and an 1/8 will do much, but I'm going to start adjusting at 1/8 intervals. Cheers!
Sounds nose heavy, and overweight as you said. If you are running stock exhaust you can rip out all the balsa from the can tunnel, the ply cover for the tunnel, etc, etc I removed quite a bit when I built mine
Old 06-22-2011, 06:08 AM
Lins

Yes, it is quite heavy. I'll see about lightening it up once I get the cg where I want. I'm not sure if I want to start with CF upgrades, or start removing wood. I'd prefer to not have to remove my pilot and dash and start hacking the canopy and such [].
Old 06-24-2011, 03:56 PM
aegis

What are most people ending up with for c of g?
I typically start with a CG of 30% of the wing tip and end up at 32% - 33%. Going with 10 3/8", I would have started at 3 1/8". Pretty sure I ended up at 3 3/8", which would be 32.5%. Can slow the plane way down without tip stalling, and it does nice three-point landings at a slow landing speed. I fly freestyle and IMAC-type manuevers and so don't go with an overly tail-heavy CG such as for 3D.

I never weighed mine, but I'm running a 3W80 with a canister, and three NiMH batteries. Only lightening was a carbon-fiber wing tube and tailwheel. Using the stock landing gear. Certainly not the lighest set up, but it flys/behaves well.

Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.