Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

New 50cc Extra 300LP QB

Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

New 50cc Extra 300LP QB

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 06:51 AM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New 50cc Extra 300LP QB

Mine came yesterday as well! Everything looks great. Aeroworks did it again. The finish is super, love the way the cowl mounts, no screws on the outside. I talked to Mark about this plane in Toledo, and he said it will come it lighter than the other 50 cc AW planes. I think it will to. My AW Extra 260 comes in at 16lbs 5 oz. I'm sure this LP will be in the upper 15's. Anyway, I got the wings done, servos mounted, linkage done etc. Glued the rudder on, installed the ele servos, receiver as well. Tonight I'll mount the engine (DL 50) and hook up the pull/ pull tonight. As you know ,they go together fast. This is my 3rd 50 cc plane from AW , and their all top notch. If my job allows, I'll be flying it this weekend. I wish someone would start a build/discussion thread on this plane in the Giant Scale Aircraft- Aerobatic forum on here. I cant seem to slow down enough to do a build thread myself. I dont mean to be selfish, but I want to get this plane done and in the air.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:28 PM
mowery1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are the man!!! I haven't taken mine out tof the box yet...I've got a DA 50 on the way along with my servos. Soon as they arrive I'll start the build thread unless someone else would like the honors... Let me know of any modifications you have to make..Thanks,,
Old 08-13-2008, 02:53 PM
Sewerdude

I dont see any mods as of yet mowery. I did have to make one change since I'm using the DL. The DL is alittle longer in length than the Da. So I had to go with 2 1/4 inch stand offs so my hub will be 6 1/4" out from the firewall as stated in the manual. I also have to do alittle dremel work around the hole in the firewall because the carb screws are going to hit there. Of course DA users wont have any troubles at all. You need to take it out of the box and look at this plane mowery! You'l llike what you see. Like I said earlier, its going to be their lightest 50 cc arf yet. Should be a blast to fly. I'll be looking forward to the build thread.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Sewerdude

By the way. the firewall looks super strong. Where the plywood engine box meets the first former, it looks like a nice thick epoxy fillet there, plus the firewall is pinned and fuel proofed. You'll notice that the landing gear area is beefed up nice with aluminum angle. Just open the box LOL
Old 08-13-2008, 08:49 PM
mowery1

OK, I took the time tonight to unbox the 300 LP and take a few photos which I'll post later. This has to be one nicest looking planes yet from Aeroworks! I'm very impressed with the quality of the covering and the framework. I am curious as to why they left the cockpit floor out unless it was a weight issue. Would have ben nice if that could have been left up to the builder whether to remove or not. Tomorrow night I'll start installing the servos (arrived today). Still waiting on the DA to arrive. Stay tuned for photos!!
Old 08-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Sewerdude

I think they left cockpit floor out for weights issues as well. I didnt get as much completed as I would of liked last night. I did get the motor mounted and the throttle servo and linkage done. Got the cowl opening cut, not my favorite thing to do. I thought maybe I wont of had to cut as much of the of the cowl away as the had pictured in the manual. But I did have to cut as much. The cowl isnt as flexible as others, because it has a ply ring around the back for strength. Very good idea I might add. So, to get the cowl up and over the pitts muffler , you have to take away alot of material. Which is good for the 3:1 cooling ratio. Its still not noticeable from the side. I did however use a Jtec pitts muffler ,which may of required me to take more material away than say the Slimline pitts muffler. Hopefully tonight I'll try to get the pull pull done. The measurement for the firewall to the front of the engine ,which is 6 1/4 inches, is perfect. Nice close fit for the Tru Turn 4 inch spinner.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:08 PM
mowery1

Sounds like you're moving along..I'm still waiting onthe Da 50..It's not arrived yet...I'll start on the wings tonight installing servos...Keep pressing on!!
Old 08-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Ferocious Frankie
My Feedback: (7)

Come on guys, where's the beef? We need pics!
Old 08-19-2008, 06:07 AM
mowery1

I've taken a bunch of pic's I'll post in the next couple of days...stay tuned..
Old 08-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Sewerdude

I hope to have a flight report this weekend for you guys. I'll take some pics at the field. Looking forward to the build thread mowery. We're waiting on you to order your Frankie
Old 08-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Ferocious Frankie
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Sewerdude

I hope to have a flight report this weekend for you guys. I'll take some pics at the field. Looking forward to the build thread mowery. We're waiting on you to order your Frankie
I only buy tried and true planes.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:14 PM
PTS
My Feedback: (153)

I ordered a red/blk/silver Extra and should have it Friday. This will be my sons plane. We will be using the DA-50 for power w/ TBM Pitts muffler. Direction will come from HITEC 5955 servos. We will post some pics.

Perry
Old 09-01-2008, 06:23 PM
LeeHunt

Has Anyone progressed with the build anymore on this one, Iam very interested in one but would just love to read how things are going for others
I live a very isolated part of the Australia and this is all I can go on
Please let me know how it is all going
Lee Hunt
Old 09-01-2008, 08:38 PM
mowery1

Flew my extra 300 Lp today and it flew great!! Would suggest to tone down the throws they suggest in the manual. I set mine up per the manual and it was too much for my flying style. The roll rate was insane!! I ended up using about half of what the manual recommends.. Having a bit of a problem keeping the covering tight as well on this one..Anyone else having any problems??
Old 09-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Sewerdude

ORIGINAL: mowery1

Flew my extra 300 Lp today and it flew great!! Would suggest to tone down the throws they suggest in the manual. I set mine up per the manual and it was too much for my flying style. The roll rate was insane!! I ended up using about half of what the manual recommends.. Having a bit of a problem keeping the covering tight as well on this one..Anyone else having any problems??
I've been flying this 300 for awhile now and I'm really late on posting. I agreed mowery,the low rates could be turned down atad. I didnt, just got use to it. I'm not having any covering issues, I've had it in the sun alot and only had a bubble or two.
Its a very acrobatic plane, to say the least. But comes in to a crawl on landing. I did have to order a new cowl for mine. I had a couple of engine bolts break off in flight and a the other 2 were lose. So, in turn the engine dropped down and damaged the cowl. Knife edges are pretty good, only a very small amount of up elevator is need to keep it straight as it pulls to the belly only atad. I figured it would knife edge terrible since its a low wing aircraft which are known to pull to the belly alot in a knife edge. I set my CG at 4.5 inches as the manual stated. At a 45 degree inverted incline, hands off it keeps on track. I havent tried any harriers with it as the DL I have is very new. I hope to get a weight for you guys soon. I bet its in the upper 15's to very low 16 lbs. Just right
Old 10-21-2008, 12:30 AM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

I am really surprised that this Extra is not on the top ten of threads..Its good looking and available? are only a few getting them??
Old 10-21-2008, 06:17 AM
mowery1

They are available to anyone who wants one....Mine's for sale on here if you're interested RTF....
Old 10-23-2008, 08:51 PM
LeeHunt

Ok Great now get one to Australia?????? Its all getten very pricey
Lee
Old 10-24-2008, 12:35 AM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

It all seems a bit weird,it seems sales will be of concern for most companies as the credit crunch hits home worldwide??
If I had any spare$ I would try to own this one too,as its available locally.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:30 PM
squidster

My dad and I started building one today, we have the red/black/silver. So far we are really impressed.
We spent almost all day working on it and we got the servos installed, the horns installed, the engine installed and the landing gear.
We have been just following the manual and are moveing right along. Probaly only a few more hours and it will be done.[8D]
Old 11-17-2008, 12:01 AM
LeeHunt

Gee Mate good on ya!!! very quick builders. Make sure you read through this thread as there are some very important points not to miss.
You are going to love it big time mate.
Lee
Old 11-17-2008, 03:32 PM
squidster

All done except the cowl. It came with 3 cracks around the lower hole below where the hub hole is. Called AW and waiting on final instructions on what to do with this one. If they give the ok, will just cut this one and mount until the new one gets here. Looking forward to going airborn.

This is THE most complete arf we have ever seen. It has everything you could need short of radio gear, fuel dot and a fuel T. Only a couple of verrrrry small minor issues that we dealt with (besides the 2.5hrs I spent on the covering).

Is an absolutely beautiful plane. The pictures just don't do it justice. You could buy a slightly less expensive 50cc ARF, but you would have to make a trip to the LHS for lots of other stuff you will need to complete it. You would also spend oodles of extra time dealing with hinges and trying to drill holes that are straight and properly aligned for the control horns.

This is our first, but most certainly will NOT be our last from AW.

Dad
Old 11-19-2008, 06:27 PM
JBenson
My Feedback: (2)

Hey guys. I have now built and flown this plane and I can say first hand that it is awesome. Below is a link to the video from the magazine photoshoot. All the flying was on the Maiden flight and the second flight. I can't wait to get beter aquanted with this bird. IT is definitely a performer.

JB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz1XR3WZo5w
Old 12-03-2008, 08:01 AM
squidster

DOH!!!!!!

I see on the AW website that this plane is now $125.00 less than what I paid for it 3 weeks ago!!!! I surely would have waited if I knew that.

Plane flies great!!! Had a terrible left hook on take off, uplines and hovers at first. Added some washers to give MORE right and down thrust and it flies like an arrow now.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:03 AM
tulz161

We need pics.... what scheme did you all go with?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.