Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Aero Works P-51?

ORIGINAL: smperry

For those of you going to Sierra Giant Scale retracts, air or electric, at the very least, put some Loctite on that grub screw and really honk it down.

sp
    Umm.... I almost hate to mention this.....

In the hardware that comes with the Sierra's, there is a package of 4 1/8" roll pins about 1" long. There is a hole in the boss near the grub screw holding the main gear and when you get things adjusted for in/out and angle, you're supposed to drill a hole in that boss all the way through to the bottom and put in a roll pin. The grub screw is only there to hold the gear in place while you set things up and then the roll pin does the real work. LocTite on the grub screw probably wouldn't have made any difference.

Didn't you get the roll pins from Darrell or could they have been lost when the gear went to Down and Locked?

Sorry 'bout the mishap.... []
    Zeeb

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Zeeb

Now that makes sense. And no, I didn't get the pins or any sort of instructions. I ordered the gear without air cylinders, maybe since it was a special order, someone got distracted and failed to enclose the pins and instructions.

I'm really glad you mentioned this because one grub screw looks real under-engineered and completely out of place with the rest of the Sierra design.

Thanks
    sp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I didn't get any instructions either and the roll pins were in a small plastic bag stuffed in one of the gear units. In fact, IIRC they were actually stuffed inside the top of one of the struts.

When I saw 'em and the "extra" hole in the boss, I called Darrell to verify what I thought was supposed to happen. Sorry I neglected to mention that in the e-mail with the pictures and descriptions of what I did with mine, but it just never crossed my mind. I even looked back through all my gear pictures this morning after seeing your post, and I don't have any of that particular step.

In any event, a roll pin would be a much easier and cleaner install than a bolt. You just need a roll pin punch to install 'em as they are pretty snug when you drive 'em in and a standard punch would probably distort the pins.
    Zeeb

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I didn't notice anything stuffed inside the gear legs, but i didn't specifically look either. I will soon though :-)

I wrote Darrell at Sierra and asked if I could order some pins and instructions. I'm relieved to know it is an easy fix and even more relieved to find out Sierra didn't expect a grub screw to do the job.

Now that I know the cause and the fix, I can let this stiff drink in my other hand do it's job :-)

sp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Now that I know the cause and the fix, I can let this stiff drink in my other hand do it's job :-)

sp
    LOL.....

Well I'm 99% certain they are just a standard 1/8" diameter roll pin which you could probably get locally from an auto parts store? I just went and measured one of the two extra ones I have and they appear to be 7/8" long so I was close at guessing 1 inch.

Darrell said to just use a 1/8" drill bit which fits the existing hole perfectly, and go all the way through. I used a drill press and drill press vice to hold the gear and make sure I had a straight hole. You have to be careful not to go through the boss much further than what it takes to get out the bottom or you'll hit the actuator arm on the pneumatic setup, don't know what yours looks like but I'm reasonably sure it'll be tight. The roll pin then goes in and it's ends almost exactly aligned with both the top and bottom of the boss.
    Zeeb

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great. I have a drill press and a drill press vice, so it should go well.

I'm just starting another run of 12 twelve hour shifts, so it will be a couple of weeks before I get to it. Till then I'll just have to suck it up and go fly my ShockJet if I can sneak out to the field between shifts.

sp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great. I have a drill press and a drill press vice, so it should go well.

sp
    But, it isn't your plane anymore........hehe.........I have witnesses that you gave it to me.....lol.......
    JPO Yearly Member. Retired ATP B-727, HS-125, IA-JET

AMA Turbine CD Waiver Holder- BVM F-16, CARF-Viper, Flash, Super Extra 3.2M, 44%Giles, Extra 330, 1/8th scale F-18, flying r/c since I was 11 years old.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RCRescuerDan:
    You got fed up with it before I did..and I have witnesses to that too :-)

sp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RCRescuerDan:
    You got fed up with it before I did..and I have witnesses to that too :-)

sp
    Yeah! You are right. But, I have already parted it out, and sold most of it off...........

AMA Turbine CD Waiver Holder- BVM F-16, CARF-Viper, Flash, Super Extra 3.2M, 44%Giles, Extra 330, 1/8th scale F-18, flying r/c since I was 11 years old.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"Scrap the Mustang, Clyde"

sp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Only thing left is one set of cheap Chinese gear! Offers being taken!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Dan, remember those pictures I took of your F-18? Check out the For Sale forum :-)

sp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What happen to everyone? Are you all waiting on Sierra gear?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm waiting on my standoff/mount for the DA-60. DA doesn't wan't 'em mounted on standoffs so they sell some plywood pieces in 1/4" and 1/8" which you stack to the appropriate length. Two problems with that; the wood compresses and changes the firewall to prop hub distance so some guys are drilling out the mounting holes and installing carbon fiber tubes to prevent that and the other problem is that the hole cut in those wood pieces just barely clears the carb arms which makes installing the carb and choke servo linkages a real challenge.

Soo.... I found this guy in NC who's making a mount/standoff out of a solid aluminum block using a CNC setup. He cuts out all the excess material which gives you access to the carb linkages just like standoffs would and doesn't compress like wood and he'll make 'em any distance you want. Using the measurements from the the DA-60 and the 6 13/16" shown in the manual, I needed something that was 1 9/16". I've been waiting 2 1/2 weeks and it won't be here 'till next week, then I can get back to assembly. The Robart air control valves and Hitec servos I got to replace the Jetronics stuff are a chunk bigger so I've got to re-engineer that setup and figure out how to either get a bigger or second air tank in that fuselage. I'm used to having all that room inside the fuselage of an IMAC bird to work with and this Mustang isn't big on extra room. Probably lots of room compared to your jets, but lots less than I'm used to having to work with....

Tracked down a couple of pictures of the standoff/mount I've got coming for the DA-60.... [8D]

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rp42679.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	1648275   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj22637.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	1648276  
    Zeeb

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've been working on tne FM. My landing gear and prop should be here in about 2 weeks.
    See my build thread for updates.
    Cheers
    BC

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10604306

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Zeeb! Those are really nice mounts! I have own a lot of DA's, and never seen anything like that mount. Is he building some right thrust on it for you too?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Zorba! Very nice work on the over haul of the plane. Should come out very nice for you! You can take your time now, though.......lol. It is going to be snowing up there soon again? LOL>>>>

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Dan, and how right you are about the snow.
    She wont be doing any maiden this year that's for sure, but the anticipation of seeing it finished
    is taking over my other priorities.

Slow as she goes as they say. I have to get it done right.

Cheers

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RCFlyerDan

Zeeb! Those are really nice mounts! I have own a lot of DA's, and never seen anything like that mount. Is he building some right thrust on it for you too?
    No and to be perfectly honest, I was thinking any needed right thrust would be built into the AW firewall, if it isn't I guess I'll have to deal with it during flight trimming....

The only model I've put together so far that did not have any right thrust built into the firewall was my 2.6 Comp-Arf Extra 260 and that has an SWB 2 1/2 degree offset mount. This guy who's building these things is trying to put together a marketing agreement with DA and they are custom built to spec right now, I don't know a lot about CNC work but I imagine if you wanted an offset it could be programmed into the mill?
    Zeeb

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys, I'm the fella who made the engine mounts for Zeeb. I didn't know he was posting up in a thread over here about the mount, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that he was. I'm working on a really revolutionary solution for adjusting right thrust in any of my engine mounts, but I need to do some more testing and refinements before it's ready for release. As far as milling in the thrust, it's very difficult to work the angle in and hold the part in the machine, plus I like to make these light and you'd have to have extra meat somewhere to account for the thrust offset and technical blah blah blah. I wont bore you with that!

Bottom line is, I think the mount I made for him turned out great, and since I have already made one, now it's just a matter of plugging the program in the machine and pressing the button. If anybody else wants one you can PM me here, or e-mail me at BlazingStar@myglnc.com. I'm truly proud of this one, and I think you will like it. This plane is definitely deserving of something better than a stacked plywood mount.

He has some great pics of it, but I'll let him post them up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Okay guys I got my mount/standoff for the DA-60 as mentioned. I've noted it before but will repeat that DA doesn't want this engine mounted on standoffs and sells some plywood spacers which have their own issues not the least of which is the inability to access the throttle and choke linkages, or even the fuel line.... lol

I'll do this in two posts so I don't get over the picture limit. This first one is pics of the wood spacers from DA. Please keep in mind that the aluminum spacers were used for total distance so I could get some measurements, a full install would have wood all the way back to the firewall.

Name:	Vt56098.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	1650227   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf14640.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	1650228   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bg94077.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	1650229   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sl27638.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	1650230  
    Zeeb

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are the pics of the aluminum mount/standoff WickedWaggy built. As you can see it gives you great access to the carb linkages and fuel line which I was worried about with the wood business. The thing is extremely well made, fits perfectly and was received as shown, no polishing on my part and it looks pretty much like the DA. You also get rid of the "tunnel" the carb would have to pull it's air through using this mount.

I'm quite pleased with this solution to mounting the DA-60....

Oh and Dan, the gentleman who built it answered your question about building in right thrust.

Name:	Ge95329.jpg 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	1650231   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Id97009.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	1650232   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gl20873.jpg 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	1650233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zt53016.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	1650234   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wi59599.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	1650235  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mc49692.jpg 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	1650236  
    Zeeb

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All I can say is someone better be looking at getting another one or two milling machines ready.

Protect your product from copy cats as soon as you can if you haven't started the process already.
    ****** Gregg******
    Rule one: No matter what else happens, fly the airplane.
    Rule two: Fly it until the last piece stops moving.
    You know you've landed with the wheels up when it takes full power to taxi.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why does DA want you to use wood, vibration?
    Frank Baity
    Contest Director
    Leader Member Admin & Scientific
    Turbine Waiver Fixed & Rotary
    AMA 38026

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: FBaity

Why does DA want you to use wood, vibration?
    They don't, they just don't want you using regular standoffs and the plywood spacers are the solution they sell at present.
    Zeeb

Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast