Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

Aero Works P-51?

Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

Aero Works P-51?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 07:29 AM
WickedWaggy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aero Works P-51?

ORIGINAL: GPutt33

All I can say is someone better be looking at getting another one or two milling machines ready.

Protect your product from copy cats as soon as you can if you haven't started the process already.

I am privileged enough to work somewhere that has a patent attorney in their back pocket. Honestly, I could never cost justify patenting this idea. It's honestly only a block that has been lightened and has had the correct hole pattern drilled in it. If somebody wants to copy it there is really nothing I can do to stop them. I can assure you, there is no other way to make money on them, I'm basically breaking even on a good day, and lately I have been smashing endmills into parts, which is not good for my bottom line.

But, I love making stuff that works, something that someone can appreciate the work that goes into it. I know I did them first, and if somebody copies it I'll just throw eggs at them or something..
Old 08-18-2011, 11:44 AM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Check with your attorney, Patent reform is coming very soon! One of the very few things the Obama admin. is going to do right.[X(]
Old 08-22-2011, 02:38 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After flying my P-51 this weekend I noticed that the canopy appeared slightly cocked. Closer inspection revealed that the anchor point (for lack of better description) that slides in the rail at the aft of the canopy was gone. Has this happened to anyone else and if so, how did you fix it?

Wayne
Old 08-22-2011, 03:15 PM
smperry
My Feedback: (4)

Wayne.

Yes, same thing on my first flight or two. I lost the piece that broke off, so I epoxied in a piece of wood and then installed a screw whose head fitted inside the rail channel. A little trial and error to get exactly how far to the screw needs to be screwed into the wood to get the clearance right. A drop or two of thin CA on the screw to keep it from vibrating loose. HTH

sp
Old 08-23-2011, 03:26 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll give that a try.

Thanks
Wayne
Old 08-23-2011, 04:26 AM
smperry

Since some AW P-51 owners are replacing original retracts, I'd like to relate my experience with Down & Locked.

I had D&L convert my Sierra Giant Scale mains to electric operation. They did great work and had them back when they said they would. D&L customer service is second to none. Mitch called me when they received my gear and took the time to explain all the options and made sure I was getting exactly what I needed.

When I had the gear installed, I managed to do stupid, (a specialty of mine), and damaged the gear and control box electrically. I sent them back to D&L for repair. Even though the problem was 100% my fault, Mitch and Ron fixed them and only charged me labor. And at a very reasonable rate too. I was blown away by their great customer service. By rights they could have charged me full price for my mistake, but they went the extra mile and gave me a huge break.

So if you are considering the D&L electric conversion for your retracts, original or replacement, you can't find a better bunch to work with. Great craftsmanship, excellent customer service and a couple of real nice guys. You won't be sorry you went for it if you have the conversion done.

sp
Old 08-23-2011, 08:01 PM
tom2bell

Hello all
I flew my P51 last week end and had 2 realy nice flights every thing worked great. I also flew her at the MAS http://www.miniatureaerosportsters.org/
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75255.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	1652855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61314.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1652856  
Old 09-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Zorba1

Just a note. Does anyone know if Down and Locked are still around?
I wrote them a couple of times and I got no answer.
They converted my gear and is going on 5 weeks now.
I was just wondering.

Cheers
Old 09-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Down and Locked

ORIGINAL: Zorba1

Just a note. Does anyone know if Down and Locked are still around?
I wrote them a couple of times and I got no answer.
They converted my gear and is going on 5 weeks now.
I was just wondering.

Cheers
Hi Zorba1 yes we are still in business and I am not sure what you mean by 5 weeks could you please call at 828-817-0412 or email to [email protected] I have not received any emails that we do not respond to so if you have written to us and did not get a response we did not receive your email. Thanks Mitch Stott
Old 09-10-2011, 02:34 AM
Zorba1

Hi Mitch. Ron got in touch with me and he said that the gear is shipped.
My apologies.
It looks like my emails never got to you.

Everything is cool
Cheers
Old 09-13-2011, 05:58 PM
ottrod

ORIGINAL: tom2bell

Hello all
I flew my P51 last week end and had 2 realy nice flights every thing worked great. I also flew her at the MAS http://www.miniatureaerosportsters.org/
LOOKS SWEET !!!

Nice to see some flying pics - thanks for sharing :-)

Keith
Old 09-18-2011, 01:15 PM
n8622t

Well, six weeks after the Mustang went down without power, I have gotten around to fixin her up and shes ready to go another round...I had to remove the inner gear doors since they didnt survive the skid in the rough landing, but everything else came out in good condition. The cockpit did come lose but easy to fix as well. So, shes ready to go again I am looking forward to get my fifth flight on this plane...one of the best flyers I have owned

Jimmy
Old 09-18-2011, 05:39 PM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

I have one for you guys with this plane. I have about 15 flights or so now on my P-51 and have her all sorted out, no problems now that I changed to Sierra gear. Nice to have a plane that I can just go fly now, need to get some more time on the DA50, but she's breaking in nicely. Anyway, I've noticed since the plane was new, when I'm taxing out to take off, the inner gear doors will sometimes cycle! Maybe not at all, maybe once or maybe several times. There seems to be no common underlying reason. It never does it in the air and again, not after I land. There weird thing is, the gear don't try to cycle, just the inner doors. I've changed servos on the valves, but am using the original sequencer. I'm running 2.4 radio not that should matter. Not sure if it's a vibration thing, some sort of interference affecting the sequencer or what. Not too alarmed, but it does cause me a little concern. Any ideas?
Old 09-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Oh I hate crap like that.... []

First call I'd make is to Jetronics about the sequencer. I've never had a retract model but they seem to have a pretty good reputation.

Next is more fuzzy; which 2.4GHz radio? If it's a JR/Spektrum then a close look at the Flight Log for RF issues is in order. If it's another radio brand that's out. So you start looking at electrical issues and while it's not common to have just one control (there's usually several) go haywire, if there are any loose sparks between the engine ignition module and the sparkplug there will be issues even with 2.4GHz. Next up might be the question of whether or not you have any Y-harnesses in there? I see more and more guys having issues trying to use Y-harnesses with the new radios. Try changing out any servo lead extension/s between the rx and the sequencer. If you're feeling ambitious and it'll do it while sitting, you could disconnect the gear door servo from the sequencer and hook up another servo, see if it cycles?

There is also an issue with the JR/Spektrum radios when using a tx/rx which can run in 2048 resolution and analog servos, but that relates to uncommanded servo movement when the rx is first turned on and it is the reason I'm going to digital servos on mine. I've never heard of the issue with an rx once it's booted up and linked to the tx.

Don't know if any of that sounds worth checking to you but I was just sitting here thinking about it after I saw the post and figured I'd throw it out....
Old 09-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Zorba1

Thanks for leting us know about your issue with the doors.
I am changing mine to servos to operate the hatch doors, no air in the system at all. I had my gear converted to electric by D&L.
I will post the details of the conversion of the doors in a couple of days.

Cheers
Old 09-18-2011, 08:01 PM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

Thanks guys. I am running JR 2.4, but am running 2 Li batteries for the receiver regulated down to 6.0v. My flight log recorder has never had a count higher than 3-4 on the main or satellite receivers, and the voltage has not dropped below the regulated 6v. No Y-harnesses, hate those things, using a 12 channel receiver with everything on a separate channel, digital servos on all except the air valves and throttle. The doors did the same thing when I had the stock air valve servos in the plane and the sequencer is plugged directly into the receiver. Am thinking of trying a different sequencer, so..........?
Just seems weird it only does it BEFORE taking off and never in the air of after.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Okay I'm guessing it's a DSM2 and not DSMX and that you've not had any flashing rx lights indicating a power problem?

Got another idea although I'm not sure how it might work. The issue with the analog servos and the JR/Spektrum 2048 resolution capable rx's is that they put out a pulse in the 700mS range when first turned on and before they go to the bind settings. It's thought this has something to do with the rx deciding if it's going to be running in 2048 resolution or 1024 as the problem does not occur with 1024 only rx's nor with bigger rx's running with a 1024 only tx. Since that pulse in the 700 area is outside the normal servo operating range of 900-2100 some of the analog servos don't like it and some makes are worse than others. e.g. I have one 33% Edge that has an analog servo on the choke, when the rx is first turned on the choke servo closes halfway and then opens when the rx goes to it's bind position settings.

Some of the guys over on FG actually had big analog servos, in this case Hitec which seems to be the worst, actually pop control surface horns out of the surface when running A123's and big servos. The one I have on my Edge is a Futaba and doesn't seem to be as adversely affected. This is the reason I bought digital servos to replace the ones that come with the Mustang but I'm not to the point of trying them yet, I really didn't want the gear sucking up when the rx was turned on.

Now here's the thought and question; perhaps you're getting a partial activation on that one servo when the model is first turned on and it's staying there until the thing is cycled? The question I can't figure out is what does the sequencer do with the rx signals? Would it pass them through and cause the issue, or is the sequencer itself not happy with that 700 pulse?

Does your throttle servo move when you turn on the rx?

I'm guessing this issue applies to the 12 channel rx's but the problem was noted and chased over on FG by guys using AR9000 and R921 nine channel rx's and my Edge has one of the R921's installed. My JR R1222 PowerSafe rx is installed in my 2.6 Comp-Arf and I've never seen it there but it has all digitial servos. An R1222 is also what will be going in my Mustang but I'll be running unregulated A123's for battery power.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:42 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Hey Russ!

After you installed the Sierra, and made final adjustments, actually flying 2.4 does matter. As a suggestion to see if the problem goes away, re-bind the plane to the radio, with all switches (flaps up, landing gear down, throttle idles cut off, etc)in their proper positions. When you first turn on a 2.4 radio, it goes to where it was last bound, then goes to the current switch postion. Has to do with failsafe on the radio. If this doesn't solve it, then the seqencer needs adjustments.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:03 PM
n8622t

OK Guys!! Shes running good, retracts hold air forever, and all repairs are made...now for the trip to the field
Old 09-19-2011, 03:10 PM
n8622t

I love this plane!!!
Old 09-20-2011, 03:17 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Good Luck Jimmy!!
Old 09-21-2011, 12:19 PM
n8622t

Thanks Dan, got ready to roll out yesterday and turned the prop thru in preparation and noticed a low rubbing sound in the engine...turned my other two DA50's the same way and heard nothing!!!![X(] So, no trip to the field but an engine replacement instead. Have a brand new DA50 mounted and the other goes back to DA for inspection. Better safe than sorry and the engine will return with a new bill of health.

Jimmy
Old 09-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Zorba1

Hi Guys is been quite around here latelly.
I have a question.
I am setting up the electronics on my 51.
When I setup the flaps do I apply any elevator input?
I know on my Cessna 310 I had to add a bit of elevator or else she would baloon up.
I am using the Aurora 9 channel.
Thanks in advance
Bill
Old 10-06-2011, 05:59 PM
miker49

getting close to flying mine and was wondering about the fuel tank. does everyone use the stock tank.looks a bit small to me.i usually fly 10-12 mins, but sometimes a little longer in my nitro planes.maybe 12-15 min. i am using the da-50 and was wondering if this is enough witha little safety margin.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:11 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

A DA sips about 1 ounce of fuel per minute

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.