Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

Aero Works P-51?

Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

Aero Works P-51?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 10:21 AM
aadams1278

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No time for flaps in my situation. Didn't want to risk any unplanned pitch changes.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:29 AM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

Gentlemen,

I had been reading you last several posts. I have been flying TF P-51's with G62's and DLE 55's. Here is a couple of things that have worked for me. All my Mustangs are nose heavy they settle better on landing. If you can taxi you Mustang "without" holding up elevator you are very tail heavy. Also alot of rudder to counter act the engine torque. Rudder and elevator are use on full size Mustangs on taxi and take off. Flaps, using flap for the sake of using flaps is a bad idea. Each plane is a little different, but not completely different. Flap wise, this how I use my flaps. 0-10mph head wind full flaps, 10-15ish mph 1/2 flaps, 20 mph and higher no flaps. If you set you flaps on the down ward leg and the plane balloons, you could be tail heavy. The plane should not balloon. If you "bounce" your Mustang on landing...........and you try to put in on the ground, on the 2nd or 3rd bounce it will nose over, prop strike the ground and flip the plane. ( Sorry to say I have had to learn this from experience more than once. After the 1st bounce you MUST hit the throttle and go around. Sorry to hear your engine quit on the go around aadams1978.............

Everyone of my 1/5 scale warbirds are nose heavy, and they all land smooth. This is my preference, but a lot of other warbird fliers have found that it helps.

Good Luck keep the Warbirds flying!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1249C.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	2144530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6889.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	2144531   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0840.JPG
Views:	458
Size:	4.80 MB
ID:	2144533  
Old 01-31-2016, 12:11 PM
cthomasmurray

chris923, Thanks for your input! Every little bit helps a lot.

Tom
Old 01-31-2016, 02:19 PM
aadams1278

I went out for the second attempt today. Good news and bad news. Bad news, it was too windy and I made the call NOT to try flying. The good news is though that I taxied around a bit (drove all the way there, might as well do something) and found a few small issues that need to be fixed that I'm glad I found while taxiing and not flying.

1. My tailwheel was loose. Not the axle but the vertical rod that lets it steer. I hate set screws for this type of use for exactly this reason. I flattened out the side of the rod they go onto and it wasn't enough apparently. That would have been bad if I tried to retract the gear when it was turned more than its supposed to be.

2. My problem retracting the gear yesterday...today after just taxiing, I put it back on my stand to disassemble and flipped the gear switch and nothing happened. So I started troubleshooting since I was able to see it fail and found out it's a bad switch. As soon as I touched the switch a micron, it got power instantly and started retracting. I can easily cause this to happen again by wiggling that switch. Thank God that was the gear switch and not the receiver or ignition switch!! It's a miracle switch which I thought were high quality. Anyone have bad experiences with those I should know about, or is this just a faulty one?

so I'm calling that a successful day. I feel much more high in spirits today than I did yesterday. Now to order a few parts and ...wait for them to get here...
Old 01-31-2016, 03:06 PM
cthomasmurray

Better waiting for a few minor parts than the whole plane. those set screws seem to loosen up, I put flat spots on th arms and loc-tite the set screw.
What may be happening is the barrel may be expanding from the pressure the set puts on it when torqued down. you are very fortunate that the bad switch was not on the radio side of things! So I guess I'll will go back and check things a couple more times.

Thanks aadams1278 for the reports. Tom
Old 02-01-2016, 05:05 PM
aadams1278

I went back and tested all 3 of my miracle switches today with my multimeter to check for continuity while I wiggled the toggle around to "simulate" some vigorous vibrations. Unfortunately, I was able to make at least 1 of the other 2 switches lose contact while still very clearly in the "on" position. Due to that, I will not be replacing the faulty miracle switch, but instead replacing all 3 of them with plastic JR HD chargeswitches. My research on miracle switches seemed to indicate they were reliable, but my personal test has made me concerned enough about them that I'm not going to risk it.

The bad news keeps coming for me....I called Aeroworks today to order the replacement canopy. Turns out, they are out of stock of replacement canopies for the P-51D and don't have any plans to get any more in stock....ever. The suggestion I was given was to make my own canopy because it's "not that hard to make" but I would beg to differ. I highly doubt I could make anything look relatively close to as good as the factory canopy. I kindof doubt I'll be able to find one out there on forums, but i'll try. Other than that, it looks like it will be some meticulous gluing/taping and hoping I can get it looking halfway decent. Too bad too because I spent a lot of time and effort making that thing slide nice and smooth with the servo. I hate it didn't even last 1 flight. The canopy is so iconic on that plane too... disappointed.

So, not that this is really any useful tip...but don't break your canopy...
Old 02-01-2016, 05:22 PM
chris923

aadams,

You might try a TF canopy. With a little modification, you might be able to make it work. Aero works ans TF are both 1/5 scale, I think there ws is the same at 84".
Old 02-01-2016, 05:27 PM
aadams1278

I'll look into that thanks. What do you mean by "a little modification"? Would they be significantly different sizes or shape or something? Obviously I'd have to put some parts on it to make it fit in the sliding mechanism on the AW plane, but if the size isn't right that's not going to work.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:30 AM
chris923

Originally Posted by aadams1278
I'll look into that thanks. What do you mean by "a little modification"? Would they be significantly different sizes or shape or something? Obviously I'd have to put some parts on it to make it fit in the sliding mechanism on the AW plane, but if the size isn't right that's not going to work.
I have no idea if the TF canopy will work, it's only something to try. If you can't get an Aero works canopy, it seems to me what ever you do is going to need modification.

Good Luck.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:09 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went back and tested all 3 of my miracle switches today with my multimeter to check for continuity while I wiggled the toggle around to "simulate" some vigorous vibrations. Unfortunately, I was able to make at least 1 of the other 2 switches lose contact while still very clearly in the "on" position. Due to that, I will not be replacing the faulty miracle switch, but instead replacing all 3 of them with plastic JR HD chargeswitches. My research on miracle switches seemed to indicate they were reliable, but my personal test has made me concerned enough about them that I'm not going to risk it.

The bad news keeps coming for me....I called Aeroworks today to order the replacement canopy. Turns out, they are out of stock of replacement canopies for the P-51D and don't have any plans to get any more in stock....ever. The suggestion I was given was to make my own canopy because it's "not that hard to make" but I would beg to differ. I highly doubt I could make anything look relatively close to as good as the factory canopy. I kindof doubt I'll be able to find one out there on forums, but i'll try. Other than that, it looks like it will be some meticulous gluing/taping and hoping I can get it looking halfway decent. Too bad too because I spent a lot of time and effort making that thing slide nice and smooth with the servo. I hate it didn't even last 1 flight. The canopy is so iconic on that plane too... disappointed.

No plans to order any?Boy that will generate sales!
Old 02-02-2016, 07:33 AM
cthomasmurray

aadams1278, if you can't find a canopy on line there are some really talented people out there that can help you fabricate a match using the damaged one as a guide. Good luck, I hope you find a suitable replacement.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:08 PM
ENZ5573
My Feedback: (7)

I dont understand! Am i missing something! they are not stocking replacement canopys for a plane that they still are selling! That is terrible!
Old 02-03-2016, 05:53 AM
SWORDSN

Originally Posted by ENZ5573
I dont understand! Am i missing something! they are not stocking replacement canopys for a plane that they still are selling! That is terrible!
They won't sell many to people reading this thread.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:08 AM
chris923

Originally Posted by SWORDSN
They won't sell many to people reading this thread.
And how do you know that?

I believe they are discontinuing that line of Mustang, and they can't get parts any more.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:10 AM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

aadams11278,
I have a canopy from my AW P-51 that met it's end on a formation flight, as long as it's the rear sliding part you are talking about. It's in good shape, the clear is slightly yellowed from time in the sun as I had my plane since they came out and had lots and lots of flights on it. PM me if you are interested. I might have a new in the box cowl also, will have to check when I get home.

Name:	Canopy.png
Views:	323
Size:	609.4 KB
ID:	2144969  
Old 02-03-2016, 12:35 PM
SWORDSN

Originally Posted by chris923
And how do you know that?

I believe they are discontinuing that line of Mustang, and they can't get parts any more.
If they are discontinuing them that makes sense.Do you know for sure?
Old 02-03-2016, 04:34 PM
chris923

Originally Posted by SWORDSN
If they are discontinuing them that makes sense.Do you know for sure?
One of their Mustangs is on a deep discount and the selection of the others is limited, know for sure, no....lack of selection and parts points to a discontinued line.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:13 AM
Aero-Works

Hello aadams1278,

When you contacted us about the replacment parts you needed you talked with Jeff in sales and he asked me if I had an accurate ETA for the replacment canopies. I told him I didn’t and if we did not have any in our stock in our China factory it could take some time to have them made. When we make a production we always make up a percentage of replacment parts. With the last production of P-51’s we just received last December 2015 (with and without retracts) I had 25pcs of canopies sent with that order for replacement parts. We have sold out of the replacment canopies as we have many customers that use our canopy for their scratch build projects and on other brand of Mustangs they are building.

We are not discontinuing the production of Mustang’s and they are not discounted any more then our other models that are included in our current New Year New Deals sale. We have many planes, accessories and parts In Stock.

I do have the front part of the canopy In Stock so if the rear section of canopy Russ was offering you would work let me know and I would be happy to send it to you at No Charge………….

Thank you,
Rocco
Aeroworks

Last edited by Aero-Works; 02-04-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:03 PM
MikeAndersonCA

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Aero-Works
I do have the front part of the canopy In Stock so if the rear section of canopy Russ was offering you would work let me know and I would be happy to send it to you at No Charge………….

Thank you,
Rocco
Aeroworks
OK, I'm impressed!
Old 02-04-2016, 08:12 PM
chris923

Originally Posted by MikeAndersonCA
OK, I'm impressed!
I agree!
Old 02-08-2016, 03:32 AM
ENZ5573
My Feedback: (7)

Yeah...its nice to see that Aero-Works cleared up that seemed to be some confusion! very cool of Rocco offering what ever part of the canopie they had in stock.Free of charge!
Old 02-10-2016, 08:37 AM
cthomasmurray

Originally Posted by ENZ5573
Yeah...its nice to see that Aero-Works cleared up that seemed to be some confusion! very cool of Rocco offering what ever part of the canopie they had in stock.Free of charge!
Nice!!! great support from forum members and AeroWorks. I hope aadams1278 has seen everyone's response!
Old 02-13-2016, 08:47 AM
aadams1278

aadams1278 has just now seen all these responses. For some reason, I didn't get email updates of the last handful of posts. I will contact Russ and Rocco privately.

The original reason I came to this page today was to post a link to my build timelapse. I started the timelapse on day 1 of the build and it went (longer than I expected) 45 days.

https://youtu.be/SEiJi-OCuHU
Old 02-14-2016, 01:26 PM
cthomasmurray

Default aadams1278 time-lapse

I like your time- lapse. I saw your heli in the background, it looks a little like mine. See Heli pic. The other pic is my grandson's P-51D along with mine.

Name:	IMG_0661.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	2147249   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0663.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	2147250  
Old 02-14-2016, 03:39 PM
aadams1278

Thanks, I like making timelapses which you'll find others on my YouTube channel if you look. This one didn't turn out as nice as I'd hoped since most of the work is inside the plane and the silhouette doesn't change much. The heli is a Raptor 50 Titan from 2008. Looks like yours is just one generation newer than mine with the newer canopy style. Interestingly, the P-51 is the first aircraft I've bought since that heli. Here's a video of the heli, one of the first videos I ever uploaded to YouTube. http://youtu.be/JSMo85iaTeA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.