Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

Strengthening 50cc Yak landing gear

Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

Strengthening 50cc Yak landing gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 12:03 PM
5150flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strengthening 50cc Yak landing gear

I own a 2.5 year old AW 50cc YAK. When I bought the kit it included a bag of parts to strengthen the landing gear. I installed them as instructed. I now hear there are further recommended steps including the installation of aluminum L brackets. Is that true and what is AW position on the issue?

Great plane and I have not had any issues, but I am sure someday I will dork a landing.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:14 PM
richgrow

Default RE: Strengthening 50cc Yak landing gear

5150flyer,
[&:][&:][&:] Rick Brown in the "Mount Rainier Radio Control Society" Club Makes Super Custom Landing Gear Out of 6061 Aluminuim Stock. Tell Rick I wrote you. He's very reasonable priced. I've got his landing gear on all my big birds now and love it. Lighter and stronger and less half price of carbon fiber!!! I believe Troybuilt Models has Link to Rick. That or contact Me at [email protected]. I like have Mine made 2 Inches taller and slightly wider. We have Asphault Paved Runway and it saves on props if land hard.[:@][:@][:@] richgrow
Old 03-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Grelker
My Feedback: (58)

I also owned that plane and did the upgrade. Eventually, the gear ripped out. To my knowledge, AW has not issued any other upgrade. The new Yaks come with aluminum angle reinforcement which helps alot.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:16 AM
Mark Dennis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 5150flyer

I own a 2.5 year old AW 50cc YAK. When I bought the kit it included a bag of parts to strengthen the landing gear. I installed them as instructed. I now hear there are further recommended steps including the installation of aluminum L brackets. Is that true and what is AW position on the issue?

Great plane and I have not had any issues, but I am sure someday I will dork a landing.

As long as the plywood reinforcing blocks that it soundslike you recieved you will be fine. I would also reglue all of the joints on the plane with thin CA, this always helps the strength of any arf especially if it has been sitting for a while.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:10 PM
rrpech
My Feedback: (22)

My Yak has the aluminum L bracket on the landing gear plate. I think I’m going to install some on the firewall as well. I’m not a 100% convinced that it’s strong enough. I always say stronger is better and if you don’t like it make it better.