Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

Introducing The New 50cc Edge 540 ARF-QB!

Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

Introducing The New 50cc Edge 540 ARF-QB!

Old 03-11-2010, 11:32 AM
hobbster126

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Introducing The New 50cc Edge 540 ARF-QB!

I was simply replying to Capt. Rons post, which happens to be in this forum. I never once knocked Aeroworks, you put out a nice product. Honestly in todays economy people are looking to get the most for their money. The new Top Dawg 50cc Edge 540 comes complete with top quality hardware and carbon fiber wing and stab tubes as well as landing gear. For under $700 and 16lbs RTF, you can't beat it!
Old 03-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Capt. Ron

Guys I would like to know what would be best from Aeroworks. The yak, extra 300 or edge 540 for a first 3D type airplane. I like the looks of the yak the most then the extra 300.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron check out some of the vids on youtube and see if it helps you. I have all three in the 100cc size. I love the way the Yak flys, just something about them. The rolls are like there is a rod down the middle of the fuselage, very axial. I haven't flown the 300 or 540 yet as there is still too much snow on the ground and they are new. My friend just got the 50cc Edge 540 for Christmas and can't wait to get it out too. Going to be a great summer. I am sure you'll love which ever one you choose. All of the AW planes I have flown so far are fantastic.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Capt. Ron

Thanks Super 08. That is what I have been doing. I send a lot of time on U Tube and RCU. I love all three! I think I will go with the yak with the blue leading edge. Sounds funny but I like the way it looks. I hear the same thing , that they all fly great so just pick one.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

I am partial to the Yak as well. They don't go as fast with the big cowl, but they sure make you look better than you are. I find them a very easy plane to fly aerobatics.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:05 AM
hanko

Ron, i had the same issue. so I went and bought both. A have just a few flights on each so its hard to tell, but both are very similar
Old 04-03-2010, 12:03 AM
khh1955

I finally (after looking for way too long) bought this plane.
It is my first step up to a 50cc sized plane.
After opening the box's & checking it out...I must say it...its the best designed & built plane I've ever had the pleasure
of putting together! Great job guys...it must be alot of fun designing & building these for a living.
I'm used to having to "work around" some "poorly designed thing" with just about every plane that I've done...not this one!
There is one thing that could be improved...a standard size servo (1-1/2" ht) doesn't fit in the horz stab...I had to build it up a 1/4".
Had I not bought all the componets before the plane...I could have purchased "low profile" servos...live & learn!
Perhaps if you go back to a system where they mount flush to the surface...it doesn't look as good...but it fits!
I'm just waiting for a "servo reversing Y harness"...and then I can finish it & work on setting up all the programming!
Can't wait to fly her!

I've bought alot of planes from alot of different mfg's over the years...with this plane,I feel like "I've graduated" big time!

Kurt

Old 04-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Aero-Works

Kurt,

Thank you for your wonderful comments. We try hard to provide the best product possible!

What servo’s are using that won’t fit in the stab? We mounted the Hitec 5985MG with no issues.

Looking forward to hearing more about your building and flying experience with the 50cc Edge 540 QB. It has become one of our BEST selling planes and customer favorite.

Thank You
Rocco /Aeroworks
Old 04-03-2010, 07:14 PM
khh1955

Hi Rocco,
I bought BMS 660's (digital BB MG) for it...195oz @6v seemed about right for a 20lb plane.
In any event,it was a real easy fix to build up the mounting area 1/4".
I was going to buy some low profiles for it...but none seemed to have enough torgue!
(I didn't really search that hard either though)

Perhaps,on your next production run of this plane,you might want to do a servo tray for the horz stab where the servo
mounts on its side instead of straight in...just a thought!
With this system,you would have to BOLT the servo to the tray(so it could be removed if need be)...then epoxy the tray
into a servo cavity in the stab...this would also require a slotted servo cover.

I'll check out the specs on the servo you suggested...

Thanks,
Kurt

Old 04-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Blake Borsic

I'm just about done with my AW Edge 540. I've installed a DLE 55 with a K&S canister. I managed to get an engine run in today and she purred like a kitten. It rained on my parade but maybe tomorrow will be a little more cooperative weather-wise. I have attached a picture of the HiTec 7985 servos I have in the horizontal stabs. They have 172 oz/in torque and sit flush on the surface. The arms still still some fine tuning but you can see they dropped right in and fit perfect.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53759.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1411254  
Old 04-04-2010, 12:37 AM
khh1955

Looks like a great fit to me!
Next time...I'll buy the ARF BEFORE I get all the componets!

I love this hobby cauz there is always something new to be learned...
of course,I hate it because ITS SO DAM ADDICTIVE [>:]

I usually take it one project at a time...and I haven't even finished this plane,and I already
have my eye on a .50 sized scale heli..."Oh,I haven't done a really nice Heli yet!).

I guess I should be thankful that my garage (and wallet) aren't bigger

Kurt
Old 04-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Mark Dennis
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: khh1955

I finally (after looking for way too long) bought this plane.
It is my first step up to a 50cc sized plane.
After opening the box's & checking it out...I must say it...its the best designed & built plane I've ever had the pleasure
of putting together! Great job guys...it must be alot of fun designing & building these for a living.
I'm used to having to ''work around'' some ''poorly designed thing'' with just about every plane that I've done...not this one!
There is one thing that could be improved...a standard size servo (1-1/2'' ht) doesn't fit in the horz stab...I had to build it up a 1/4''.
Had I not bought all the componets before the plane...I could have purchased ''low profile'' servos...live & learn!
Perhaps if you go back to a system where they mount flush to the surface...it doesn't look as good...but it fits!
I'm just waiting for a ''servo reversing Y harness''...and then I can finish it & work on setting up all the programming!
Can't wait to fly her!

I've bought alot of planes from alot of different mfg's over the years...with this plane,I feel like ''I've graduated'' big time!

Kurt

Kurt,
I would suggest using your radio to mix the elevator servos together. A reversing Y will not give you accurate throw and can cause snapping issues and other poor characteristics. What radio are you using? Most computer radios offer this as a pre setup mix in the radio.

Mark

Old 04-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Blake Borsic

Old 04-26-2010, 08:55 AM
kruzin55

I have a green one on order from Valley View and am looking forward to the build. As I pull together all the needed parts, I could use some advice. My plan is to use a new DLE 55 andJR 8411s on the control surfaces. But, I can't seem to find the correct smoke canister and header to order. Anyone have a source and part number to recommend. Also, do you think the 8411 (188 oz @ 6vdc) will be enough power, or do I need to use the 8711 (403 oz @ 6vdc)?
Old 06-05-2010, 02:49 PM
kmw072671

Just maidened my 540 and it flew awesome! Just 1 click right ail and it was perfect!! Using a DA50 23x8 @ 6600 RPM. Came in at 18lbs smoke ready (without pump)

Thanks Aeroworks!

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34183.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	1448259  
Old 06-09-2010, 06:08 PM
ottrod

ORIGINAL: kmw072671

Just maidened my 540 and it flew awesome! Just 1 click right ail and it was perfect!! Using a DA50 23x8 @ 6600 RPM. Came in at 18lbs smoke ready (without pump)

Thanks Aeroworks!

Kurt
Look -n- GOOD ! great job on the build and congratulations on the maiden!

Keith
Old 06-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Aero-Works

Kurt,

Congratulations on your maiden and thank you for your support

Rocco / Aeroworks
Old 06-16-2010, 08:15 PM
engine man

great job on the build, ya right it takes a masters to build an arf. make sure you run lawn fag for at least two years and 10 gallons. what a bunch of girly men
Old 06-20-2010, 06:56 PM
rathmn

Bad day for me! My buddy built a new AW Edge with a 50cc DA. Great guy with very little experience. This was his first non electric airplane but he does a nice job for his level of experience. He put a few flights on it and it handled nice but a few of the guys at the field thought it was tail heavy. I was not there to see it but they added about six ounces of weight to the nose. I saw it fly once and it flew nice. My buddy flew it around very gentle and landed it. He told me to fly it. I new I shouldn't but I couldn't resist. I took off and it flew nice, tracked straight and handled nice. However, when on low rates, when you would pull straight back on the elevator it would snap roll. I told my buddy that this was a bad tendency and it will get him into trouble if you don't get it figured out. I did a few more gentle manuvers and was just settng up to land. When I came around the nose got a little low and I pulled up on the stick and the airplane snapped. I got the wings level at about 50' and the nose was now even lower, again pulled back as hard as I thought I could and it snapped again. This time I only had enough room to get the wings level and started to get the nose up before it impacted the ground!

I destroyed the forward fuselage. The wings and the and the wing tube are fine and the tail feathers look good, the engine and spinner also look good.

I am just sick about it and learned a lesson today. I will never fly anyones airplane ever again!! I take 100% responsibility for the crash.

I told him I would pay for the damage. Not sure if I will be buying a whole new kit or if I can just get away with the fuselage and cowl for a decent price. I guess I will figure out what the true damage $$$ is tommorw when I call aeroworks..

MR
Old 06-20-2010, 07:51 PM
kruzin55

Our rule is that if you ask to fly someone's plane and crash you own him a new plane, but if you are asked or offered to fly his plane and the inevitable occurs you are not responsible. You feel like heck, but you don't owe him a new plane. Another rule is that mid-airs are no ones faultno matter what. However, if you crash into the pits, planes, cars or peoplethen you are fully responsible!
Old 06-20-2010, 09:28 PM
rathmn

This is the first time it has happend to me. Needless to say that I am sick about it! I can tell you this, it will never happen again!
Old 06-21-2010, 06:37 PM
engine man

there are issues with some of these 50 cc edges. Mine tip stalls on landing flair. when this thread started there was another gentelman that was having the same issues. CG is in range, total weight is where its suppose to be. Elevators throws were at the low end and they are the exactly the same throw. We have taked measurments and it appears the wing hasmore postive incidence than it should. I was told by mark dennis that you should fly the thing in hot on the mains, BULL ****. I have 7 other gas airplanes, and none of them do that. Not sure if all of them are like that, but I know of three that are. The only living world aerobatic champion has confirmed what I'm saying on the too much positive wing incidence
Old 06-21-2010, 06:42 PM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

4 post.....at least say "hi" with that great kid mouth i think nobody will help you.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:02 PM
engine man

Hey folks, hello. sorry didnt think we had to be so formal. I wasnt really looking for any help. I know what the problem is
Old 06-22-2010, 05:44 AM
hanko

same problem here engine man, oops forgot tot say hi. I tried a piece of small tri stock and taped it to the leading edge at the wing root. three inches did it. I figured the airplane had approx 2 degrees positive incidence while the tail was zero. mark dennis told me the same thing. Just fly her in fast on the mains. Thats fine if you have a 400 ft long flying field

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.