Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Introducing The New 50cc Edge 540 ARF-QB!

ORIGINAL: clarkj

Just finished mine with a da60. Havent flown it yet but ready to. 17lbs 5oz. Whoever says aeroworks planes are too heavy ive got to say theyre not that heavier than any other plane and built super tough
    Could you please post your setup.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Da 60 with jtec Pitts. 7955's on all controls. 821 on throttle and 5645 for choke. Froemco 2600 for receiver and turnigy 1100 life for ignition. Xoar 24x8. No pilot or extras other than choke servo. The 60 is hard to mount a manual choke which I prefer manual. Mpi regulator for receiver and rcexl optometrist kill no regulator on ignition - I called desert aircraft and they said a 2s life is ok on ignition. I did crank the engine and all I have to say is it runs like every da I have seen

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just started my blue and yellow Edge 540 50cc.   Have a new DLE 55, Jtec pitts muffler, Hitec 7955tg's all around, and a smart-fly ignition kill.   Loving how complete Aeroworks kits are!

What size pilot fits this plane best?   30 or 33% ?

Vo Decker
    AMA 117021
    What goes up must always come back down

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like the new hatches. No more dealing with wrinkles in the painted covering that took such high heat to remove.
    Quote: Hey, who put that tree there?
    Ultra Sport brotherhood #125
    Sig brotherhood #73
    Cub brotherhood #226

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What motor are you going to run in the plane. Mine is almost done...just trying figure out where the fromeco batteries and regs are going to go. Are you using the AW tank or did you use your own. I am leaning towards a 18 ounce tank of some sort. The plane seems light right now...but who knows. I ended up using a JTEC small pitts....I did not like how much side cowl I was going to have to cut out if I wanted to use the stock DLE exhaust.

Good luck
    Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DLE55 going in mine.
    Quote: Hey, who put that tree there?
    Ultra Sport brotherhood #125
    Sig brotherhood #73
    Cub brotherhood #226

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone have some pics of a Pitts style muffler install on this beast?  I am thinking I almost have to cut into the cowl ring to get it to fit over the Jtec pitts muffler I have for it

Thanks!!
    Vo Decker
    AMA 117021

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Use a canister

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

lol..if I had one of course I would use one.   Money prohibits me purchasing one for the time being...

Anyone with Pitts muffler install pics by chance??
    Vo Decker
    AMA 117021

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I put a jtec on mine and its fine. I wanted to do a canister but DA told me unless I needed it they wouldnt. They claim that it could possibly make rpms change when trying to hover ( or something like that)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yep,
    I had to cut a small cut out on the cowl ring to get my JTEC pitts to fit. If you cut the pipe down about a 1/2 to 1 inch they will fit without cutting the cowl ring. I cut mine on the bottom between the notches. It works fine....pretty tight fit. By the way I am using a DLE55 motor....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok da has no problem fitting

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks fellas!!!  Just got it mounted and the cowl cut for everything... Thanks again
    Vo Decker
    AMA 117021

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well Guys,
    This build took forever mostly due to the time I had to work on it. The ARF was top quality....just I was slow. Here are a few pics of the plane after I got done finally setting up the throws. I ended up using a Fiji bottle after going back and forth about it. I used shrink warp around the neck for a little piece of mind and black viton for the internal fuel pickup inside the tank. I hung the damn thing up in the garage for two weeks full with gas to see if it would leak. It did not, so I included it in the build. My primary concern with this airplane was to make it light as possible without adding anything I did not need. I know when you read it, many will say, "You could have used two fromecos with an IBEC and saved the weight of the third ignition battery. Well, initially I thought it was a good idea, and then I chickened out and bit the bullet and added the four extra ounces.

I used Fromeco 2600's (2) running into a single Sahara regulator and out of the regulator with two leads going into the receiver in two places. The batteries had to go up about an inch from the firewall to make CG. The regulator is just behind the wing tube.

The ignition battery is also a Fromeco 2600 running into a Sahara regulator. The battery is on the engine box and the regulator is up near the firewall. I used a Wolverine dual switch for power to the regulator and a pin and flag going to ignition battery.

The motor is a DLE 55 for right now...I would like to put a DA60 up front, but that will come when I get some additional free cash. I spent a long time considering what muffler to use. I wanted the most power, but still wanted it as light as possible. The first choice was using the stock muffler. After messing around with it for awhile, I determined I would have to cut the half moon out of the front of the cowl to get it to fit. I did not like this idea, so I moved on to some sort of Pitts.

I spoke with several people that advised that large volume pitts would be the best powered version, but triple the weight of the stocker. I said no, I had to remind myself this was going to be a light build. I thought about using a proflow or 86 can, but again weight kept me from going that route. I ended up using a JTEC small volume pitts. It weighs two ounces more than the stocker, but the cowl looked much better and it was a tad quieter than the stock. Some power was sacrificed here.

I added the following carbon items:
    Wing tube
    Stab tube
    Landing Gear
    Spinner

I figured I got the best bang for my buck by using these items. The tail wheel looked cool, but did not save a bunch of weight. The servos on this plane are the following. I know some will say, why would you use these servos. Well they are great and I have been using them exclusively for my planes for the past year and half. I love them, they are fast, center well, and have sustained the test of time in other large scale airplanes I own.

SAVOX 1258TG on ailerons and elevator .08 at 6v 180 ounces of torque
    SAVOX 1256TG on rudder .15 at 6v 270 ounces of torque

I used a metal geared digital servo for the throttle .07 response time at 6V.

I plan to remove the service hatches on the bottom of this plane that allow the builder to gain access to pipe tunnel. I will cover them with Ultra coat as soon as I get a weight with them attached. I will also remove the AW in cockpit. It is extra lumber that will need to go. I will weigh the plane before removing any lumber, so you guys will see what this plane weighs before cutting. I will post a weight after I get done cutting.

I plan to get the help of Mark Dennis from AW when I get to this step. He is a wizard at lighting planes. His 100cc Edge is very light, but still super strong. He knows what he is doing, so I trust him.

Well that's all for today, because I plane to ring in the new year with a few drinks.

Happy New Year to all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gd93858.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	1707810   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fb87634.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	1707811   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Va72779.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	1707812   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jd87569.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	1707813   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nz28432.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	1707814  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ne54122.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	1707815   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hj88036.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	1707816  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you want to save some weight throw away the igniton battery setup and use an 1100 zippy 2s life. I havent weighed it but it doesnt weigh over 2 ounces im sure. I flew mine 4 good flights today and the voltage read 6.68 at the start and 6.65 at the end of the day. By the way I started hovering on my second flight and the da60 will hover at 1/4 throttle. Ive never had a plane with this power to weight ratio and its not even broke in yet (about 1/2 gallon through it). A guy at our feild was very impressed with the whole setup and could believe how good it transitioned over his dle

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I appreciate the suggestion, but I would save a little over one ounce and the it would cost me at least two flights a day. I am not a big fan of life batteries due to the fact when they drop they drop off the map. The only way to adequate know what a life back is doing is to recharge and check milliamps, voltage means nothing. Fromeco Ions rule....light weight and super reliable.

Thanks
    Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok I understand. Im running a 2500 life in my aw 260 and its been great. Everyone that Im flying with is going to life and I will be putting a life in my edge. I just dont fly when theyre below 6.4. Ive been told you can fly down to 6.0 but im not pushing it. Ican fly all i want in a day and they never drop beloew 6.5, however im noy one to fly all day long. Im also running a 3s lifee in my 9303 and its doing great

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am not down on LIFE's I have a SBACH set up that way. If you go to 6.0 volts your plane will hit the ground.....The only way to know for sure is to see how many milliamps you put back into the battery. You use over 50 percent of the battery (Milliamps) and things can get dicey. I know...I did it once.

Thanks for the tip
    Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They also sell an aluminum cap for the fiji water bottle but its $25. A little pricey but i bought one and it works great

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Greetings to my fellow Aeroworks lovers!!!
    Firstly a very happy new year to all.... And to cut to the chase, i have the great pleasure of mentioning that i will soon be a proud owner of the 50cc edge 540. As this will be my very first gasser, i would appreciate it if anyone of you experienced flyers could throw any important tips  in the build.
    -possible reinforcements?? seen quite a few notes on firewall strength
    -CG 
    -DLE 55 install tips 
    -battery placements
    -im still torn between servo choice but leaning towards spektrum 6030 or hitec equivalent
    -tips on cutting weight
    AND MOSTLY ANYTHING THAT A FELLOW FLYER COULD BENEFIT IN THE BUILD

I was hoping to get the orange or yellow but sadly green is all thats available...Its growing on me ......

Thanks a million!!!! 
    You are neither here nor there . . .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm using DLE55 with Pitts muffler. Servos are Spektrum 6030s, with a Smart Fly power distribution so I can run 2 Life batteries one 2100 for servos, and one 1800 for radio and the throttle servo. Plenty of room. I put the batteries on both side of the wing tube, larger up front, and the Smart fly and radio in the rear. Balanced out perfect to specs. Flys like a dream.
    I tested the Life battery consumption first couple of days. Very long flights, and the radio battery took less than a 100 MA of the 1800 and the servo battery took about 300 of the 2100. Based on that I be able to get in more than the 5 or 6 flights without coming close to the drop off point. I usually take two planes to the field and that's more than enough for a day with the way I bull****.
    I have passed my RC addiction on to my sons.
    Secretary Officer of the Louisville Radio Control Club
    http://www.lrccky.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

what brand of life batteries did you buy?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I went back to double check the pack sizes, and the servo battery is the 3200, not the 2100. They are Hobbico through the LHS, available through Tower Hobbies. Hobbico LiFeSource LiFe 6.6V 3200mAh 10C Receiver. The radio is the 1800 pack. I have some other gas planes that have smaller pack size and I half to charge them after about 4 flights. So I super sized this time.
    I have passed my RC addiction on to my sons.
    Secretary Officer of the Louisville Radio Control Club
    http://www.lrccky.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I recently purchased this plane in Yellow and all I can say is WOW!!! This thing flies GREAT!!! Powered with a DLE 55 she is a beast.Without question the best flying airplane I have. The guys at Aero-Works hit it right on the head with this one. Keep up thegood work fella's!!
    Futaba 18 MZ... Nothing even comes Close!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you for your great comments it’s always great to hear. Happy flying and let us know if you have any further comments or feedback!

Rocco / Aeroworks

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast