Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

FAT YAK

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 01:02 PM
victorzamora

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FAT YAK

Funny enough, there's an upstart company that weighs every piece of wood before they use it. If it falls between certain ranges, they use it in certain places. If not, then they scrap it as reject wood.

That's a brand new upstart company that has yet to ship out any ARF's (though they've sold a bunch). I'm just saying that it's not that far-fetched...and if a tiny company can do it, a big-name company like Aeroworks should be able to do it.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:50 AM
capt1597

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

uncle! i thought i would support skysfallin because i had the same proplem. i did my own fix because i have those skills i deletted most of my posts because most people on this forum did not care to here what i had to say.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Mark Dennis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: victorzamora

Funny enough, there's an upstart company that weighs every piece of wood before they use it. If it falls between certain ranges, they use it in certain places. If not, then they scrap it as reject wood.

That's a brand new upstart company that has yet to ship out any ARF's (though they've sold a bunch). I'm just saying that it's not that far-fetched...and if a tiny company can do it, a big-name company like Aeroworks should be able to do it.
Actually, all of our wood is weighed just like this "new company" most manufacturers do this.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:53 AM
victorzamora

ORIGINAL: Mark Dennis

ORIGINAL: victorzamora

Actually, all of our wood is weighed just like this ''new company'' most manufacturers do this.
So...how is there such a variation in the way AW planes balance and their weights? Earlier, it was mentioned that the cause was a difference in the density of wood. If y'all do weigh it, then how is there that big of a difference? I know first-hand that those differences go as small as your 60-90 sized planes.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

I just cleaned up this entire thread. I did not notify anyone since there were many posts removed. Most where either removed by the author or responses to deleted posts.

Please try not to attack each other and keep the thread on topic.

As far as the differences I can tell you from experience that I have had 2 EFs and 2 H9 planes with identical setups and there were pretty big differences in weight. People seem to forget how much glue is in a plane and how much a of a difference glue alone can make. It all depends who was building that day. Look at a Carden, no 2 Cardens weigh the same, it all depends who builds them. I have seen as much as 5 pounds weight difference in a 40% 260.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:25 PM
gregman50

I'm tak'in my dog outta this fight, it's useless just like most threads of this kind when people start to argue about the weight thing. I agree I would not want a plane to weigh more than two pounds more than it should but I'm not going to bash the company on here either unless they totally ignore the fact of the matter. Hope it all works out, as of now I'm seriously thinking about getting totally getting out of the hobby. My listing will be on here and FG soon when I decide.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:55 PM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Jake Ruddy

As far as the differences I can tell you from experience that I have had 2 EFs and 2 H9 planes with identical setups and there were pretty big differences in weight. People seem to forget how much glue is in a plane and how much a of a difference glue alone can make. It all depends who was building that day. Look at a Carden, no 2 Cardens weigh the same, it all depends who builds them. I have seen as much as 5 pounds weight difference in a 40% 260.
thats interesting info Jake.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:58 PM
john911
My Feedback: (1)

watch this it take our mind off the weight http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...83#post1060383
Old 02-23-2010, 01:00 PM
john911

it' on fg
Old 02-23-2010, 01:48 PM
john911

i got utube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnvb9LWwMas they wont put the one from fg
Old 02-23-2010, 09:07 PM
JOHNS3D

yeah saw that video...dang, Gabriel is really good pilot and AW are really solid airplanes, also saw that Extra 300 100cc from Jason Noll and its amazing performance too.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:55 PM
madsenw

I have two Aeroworks 50cc planes. I think they are heavier than some, but they also are pretty strong. I think the greatest weight loss is to dump the main wing tube for carbon. Its also pretty cheap I think. I like aluminum landing gear as I feel it flexes better. The main thing I did to power up my Edge is to add a tuned pipe and a carbon prop. Those two changes made my edge very powerful at 6ooo feet above sea level.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:22 PM
skysfallin
My Feedback: (10)

3/20/10 Maidened the Fat Yak today and it was a very pleasant experience. Took off and trimed with one click of right aileron and ond click of down elevator. Landed after only a few circuits to reset expo. Had eight flights of about ten to twelve minutes each and put the plane through it paces, flew very hard and was very happy with the flights. I did install carbon gear and wing tube and was able to remove one pound of weight, but left in power expander and extra RX battery, so all up weight ended up being 18.5 lb. even at that weight the plane performed flawlessly and flew very rock solid. So in my opinion all of my rant over being over weight was for naught and my hats off to Aeroworks on a rock solid product. I'm a happy camper.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:26 PM
skysfallin

P.S. Ordered the Aeroworks 50cc Extra today.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:34 PM
skysfallin

I was reallly impressed with the DLE55 engine. the power is very impressive. That engine has no problem yanking the plane off the ground and hovers at half throttle running 22x10 Xoar prop.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:31 PM
tater1

Did the test flight today of my Aeroworks Yak54 power DLE55,cannister This plane is an outstanding flyer,2clks dwn elevator,2clks right aileron,after 1 flight went through the advanced pattern routine,I am impressed with the precision,Well done Aeroworks,this is a keeper.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58526.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	1401710  
Old 03-20-2010, 07:54 PM
JOHNS3D

thats good to hear....thats why i dont LIKE TO TALK or said anything about a brand or airplane before the maiden.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Mark Dennis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear the first flights went well! I am sure you will enjoy it for a long time to come.

Mark
Old 03-24-2010, 11:22 AM
tater1

where do you get that neat decal that is on the fin?
Old 03-25-2010, 11:51 AM
RC4X4
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: john911

i got utube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnvb9LWwMas they wont put the one from fg

He has a pipe on that yak which adds weight and also what altitude is he flying at?

Old 03-25-2010, 07:33 PM
skysfallin

RC4X4, thats a very nice collection of aerobatic planes you have. I agree the plane is on the heavy side, but when
I flew it this past weekend I couldn't find a flaw in it. It did everything I asked of it. I did pick up some 22x8 props this week, it has 22x10 now, because I was only getting 6400 rpm and it was a little slow pullling out of a hover so I'm hoping cutting back on the pitch a little will give me a few hundred rpm and just make it accelerate a little more. The engine is brand new as well so I think it can only run better as it breaks in. If this plane flies this good at this weight I couldn't imagine it a pound or two lighter. I do like the plane.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:49 PM
hanko

See you stired up all this crap for nuttin
Old 03-30-2010, 02:10 PM
RC4X4
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: hanko

See you stired up all this crap for nuttin

I see that skysfallin is at 390 feet above sea level. Should perform great there.
I'm at 6000 feet above sea level. Totally different here.

Cory