RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Aeroworks Vendor Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aeroworks-vendor-forum-528/)
-   -   New 30cc Extra 300 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aeroworks-vendor-forum-528/10086137-new-30cc-extra-300-a.html)

Mark Dennis 10-22-2010 09:42 AM

New 30cc Extra 300

1 Attachment(s)
Aeroworks is proud to add the New 30cc Extra 300 to their line of QUICK BUILD Series Aircraft
Designed with the customer in mind to provide the highest quality, light weight construction and fastest build time possible.
With the up coming popularity of the smaller gas engines the new 30cc Extra 300 fits the bill. Scale lines, light strong construction and race ready color scheme.

Aeroworks has Raised the Bar
The QB Series is top quality in both design and performance that will set a new standard for ARF aircraft

With the Extra’s unbeatable stability and precision flight characteristics it is certain to please both the beginner as well as the advanced competitor

Designed for both precision and 3D style flying this plane is sure to out perform all other aircraft.
The Extra 300 was designed from the ground up to be a top performing aircraft. Generous control surfaces and an awesome power to weight ratio make this a plane you'll want to fly every visit to the field!

SPECIFICATIONS

Wing span 74 inches.
Wing Area 990
Fuse Length 65.5" (Spinner to Rudder)
Fuse Length 62" (Cowl to Rudder)
Cowl Width 7.25”
Spinner Size 2.75”
Weight 10 to 10.5 lbs
Gas Engine 30cc
Glow Engine 1.6 to 1.8
Electric Motor 1800 to 2500watt
Radio 6 Channels minimum

FEATURING

Strong Light Weight Construction
Complete and Detailed Instruction Manual on CD
Carbon Main Landing Gear
Complete High Quality SAE Hardware Package Included
Adjustable pushrods with centering nut
Machined aluminum engine stand offs included
Carbon Wing Tube
Carbon Stab Tube
Professionally covered in ULTRACOTE
Pre-Hinged from factory (Ready to Fly) No gluing
One Servo Wing
Large control surfaces double beveled for maximum throw
Pre Mounted Fiberglass Cowl and Wheel Pants
Pre Mounted and Tinted Canopy / Hatch assembly
Pre installed and fuel proofed engine box
Installation Instructions for Gas – Glow – Electric
Laser cut engine mounting templates provided
Extra Ultracote covering provided for small repairs
Fuel tank with hardware for Gas and Glow
Custom Decal set

8 to 10 Hours assembly Time

Coming Soon - Expected Delivery February 2011

Pre-Order Today and Receive Free Shipping (48 US Contiguous States Only

krayzc-RCU 10-22-2010 08:01 PM

RE: New 30cc Extra 300

wow that is nice [8D]

FlyStraight 10-25-2010 01:25 PM

If AW can do the following I will buy their plane.

1) Standardize on dle 30cc and muffler
2) Pre-cut cowl now that we standardized on muffler and engine
3) Pre-drill firewall for standoff bolts now that we standardized on engine
4) Pre-drill holes for switches, standardize on switches
5) Make wire channels for the radio/ignition wires
6) Include nyrod pushrod wire and glue it in, now that we standardized on engine's carburator
7) Standardizing on engine and muffler we get perfect CG balance
8) Could standardize on servo weight as well, most are 2oz., to keep CG in check
9) Remember, arf buyers don't have dremel skills nor do they want them. They want to buy a whole package and go flying as evidenced by the influx of chinese foam arfs that are zillion at my flying field and all around the country.
10) Include metal or carbon tail wheel horn so spring wires don't cut thru the plastic horn
11) Include rubber wheels because foam wheels develop flat spots and my tailwheel barely turns because foam compressed and it's interfering with mounting bracket sides.

So skip the heavy pitts muffler (not powerful anyways) or tune pipe (costly) and go with standard dle muffler. Works great on my AW 50cc Yak.

I don't understand why AW doesn't hire a competent engineer that would spot these problems right away. I'm not a trained engineer but I can tell you these things don't work after one flight. I'm tired of buying after market parts to fix AW arfs. Come on guys, become what you say in your adds you are, not who you wish you could be.

Mark Dennis 10-25-2010 03:08 PM

FlyStraight,

Thank you for the suggestions, I have tried my best to answer them below:

Ever since we started showing the new 30cc line of planes we have had many customers ask if their motor (not a DLE 30) would also work. This being said, if we made the airplane only fit the DLE 30 we would be leaving a large group of customers out in the cold.

Having the cowl come pre-cut would be a nice addition but it really is not possible due to the reasons I listed above. Plus, if you have not yet had a chance to look at the manual, the 30cc line of planes was designed to accommodate the DLE 30, OS 1.60, Satio 1.80 and a Power 1.60 electric package. All of these power options require different cowl openings.

Due to the reasons listed in answers 1 and 2 I am sure you can see why this really isn't possible. We do include laser cut engine templates for all 4 of the motor options we show in the manual so drilling the mounting holes is a very simple step.

Many customers have their own brand/style of switches they prefer to use, there really is no way to standardize since there are so many options available. We do offer switch mounting locations and step by step installation instructions in the manual.

I am not sure what exactly you are referring to here, can you please describe exactly what you mean by channels?

6) Include nyrod pushrod wire and glue it in, now that we standardized on engine's carburator
Like I previously said, there really is no way to standardize this, even if we could, many customers have their own preference on throttle servo positioning. We do provide the customer with all the necessary hardware for each engine installation type as well as detailed instructions on how to install them.

We put a lot of thought into getting the CG to come out at or near the recommended range with all motor options we suggest. We feel this is more important than making sure the CG comes out correctly with just one style of motor.

8) Could standardize on servo weight as well, most are 2oz., to keep CG in check
This is already done, we recommend specific servos for the 30cc Edge, those being Hitec 5645's for sport performance and 7985's for unlimited performance.

9) Remember, arf buyers don't have dremel skills nor do they want them. They want to buy a whole package and go flying as evidenced by the influx of Chinese foam arfs that are zillion at my flying field and all around the country.
While we do not disagree with this point, it is very easy to offer a RTF foamy, however, it is very difficult to offer a RTF 30cc Airplane. Many customers want to use some or all of their existing equipment in a new model so offering a product that limits what they can use makes it much less inviting for them.

10) Include metal or carbon tail wheel horn so spring wires don't cut thru the plastic horn
If your springs are cutting through the plastic tiller arm I suggest checking your spring tension, it should mot be tight enough to cut through the hardened plastic.

11) Include rubber wheels because foam wheels develop flat spots and my tailwheel barely turns because foam compressed and it's interfering with mounting bracket sides.
Our main wheels are made of the highest quality foam we can find, as long as the model is stored properly they will rarely develop flat spots. Also, our wheels are some of the lightest in the industry, and as I'm sure you know, when it comes to aerobatic airplanes, any time you can save an ounce it will help.

12) So skip the heavy pitts muffler (not powerful anyways) or tune pipe (costly) and go with standard dle muffler. Works great on my AW 50cc Yak.
You can use the stock muffler that comes with the DLE 30, however, you will need to remove a considerable portion of the cowl to do so. This is why we chose to offer a custom wrap around muffler to our customers, so they still could achieve outstanding engine performance, with a cleaner looking airplane.

I don't understand why AW doesn't hire a competent engineer that would spot these problems right away. I'm not a trained engineer but I can tell you these things don't work after one flight. I'm tired of buying after market parts to fix AW arfs. Come on guys, become what you say in your adds you are, not who you wish you could be.
[color=#FF0000]I hope that I was able to address most of your thoughts and concerns. We thank you for the response and will be sure to look into the items you mentioned. Hopefully you are still enjoying your Yak, it is still one of our most popular airplanes.

Mark Dennis
Tech Support
Aeroworks, Inc.
4903 Nome Street
Denver, CO 80239
303-371-4222 ext. 105

lou1947 10-26-2010 11:06 AM

I think flystraight wants an airplane that comes put together for him. I cannot believe his demands. I have several of your arf's and they are by far the easiest and best build planes. I think that your designers have gone way out way to make arf's that are easy to assemble. I also believe that you make the best flying ARF's . Keep up the good work...

rcplanenut 10-26-2010 12:30 PM

ORIGINAL: lou1947

I think flystraight wants an airplane that comes put together for him. I cannot believe his demands. I have several of your arf's and they are by far the easiest and best build planes. I think that your designers have gone way out way to make arf's that are easy to assemble. I also believe that you make the best flying ARF's . Keep up the good work...
I second that. Your planes are some of the best out there and are truly quick build. It just goes to show you can't please everyone, but most are pleased with your planes. Keep up the great work.

tarheelflyer 10-26-2010 12:50 PM

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"><font face="Calibri" size="3">I had to read the post from flystraight twice to make sure they were not being sarcastic. Actually, for all the reasons Mark listed, I would not want AW to restrict how my plane should be set up. I know I have my own opinions as to what I want in my plane and where I want it all to be. I own 5 AW planes from the glow Extra 260 to the 100cc Extra 300. By far they are among some of the best planes you will ever own (if not the best). </font></p>

airborne2.4 10-26-2010 01:15 PM

ORIGINAL: rcplanenut

ORIGINAL: lou1947

I second that. Your planes are some of the best out there and are truly quick build. It just goes to show you can't please everyone, but most are pleased with your planes. Keep up the great work.
I guess he's looking for an RTF and not an ARF......

Gargoyle 10-28-2010 11:18 AM

I think flystraight needs to go to the Buy & Sell section and pick up something that someone else has already done all the work on.
Puting these planes together, is one of the most enjoyable parts of the hobby for me, Usually during the winter when it's too cold to fly.
In the end, what truly makes a plane unique and personal to the pilot is the limitless combinations of engines, servos, batteries, radios...Etc,Etc, and that sense of pride that comes with knowing that you built it yourself.
I purchased my First AW plane a couple of years ago, 1.20 Yak 54.. This plane is a dream to fly. Since That purchase I haven't even looked at any other brand. I got the 50cc Extra 300, and will now be getting this 30cc Extra 300 as well. I have always believed that you get what you pay for, Aero Works has repeatedly proven this over the years. Flystraight, can buy All the chinese ARF's he want's, but none of them will come any more ready to fly, or have the same workmanship and quality as an Aero Works ARF
Keep up the Awsome work Guys !!

JT 10-28-2010 10:25 PM

ORIGINAL: FlyStraight

9) Remember, arf buyers don't have dremel skills nor do they want them. They want to buy a whole package and go flying as evidenced by the influx of chinese foam arfs that are zillion at my flying field and all around the country.

So skip the heavy pitts muffler (not powerful anyways) or tune pipe (costly) and go with standard dle muffler. Works great on my AW 50cc Yak.

FLYSTRAIGHT,

You need to go to your local Toys R Us and buy a AIR HOG!!!!!

Aeroworks makes one of the finest ARF kits available, hands down!!!

SSO 03-25-2011 09:54 AM

IF YOU DONT BUILD ANYTHING YOU WILL HAVE NO IDEA HOW SAFE YOUR PLANE NEEDS TO BE. I JUST BOUGHT THIS NEW PLANE FROM AW AND I MUST SAY IM VERY PLEASED WITH THE QUALITY OF THE NEW 30 CC EXTRA 300. CANT WAIT TO FINISH UP THE BUILD AND GET TO THE FIELD WITH THIS BABY. MY PLANS ON ANOTHER AW ARF NEXT YEAR ARE LOOKING GOOD!

airborne2.4 03-25-2011 01:02 PM

ORIGINAL: JT

ORIGINAL: FlyStraight

FLYSTRAIGHT,

You need to go to your local Toys R Us and buy a AIR HOG!!!!!

Aeroworks makes one of the finest ARF kits available, hands down!!!

Here's what he need. http://www.windpowersports.com/kites/stunt/
Well, maybe not, because I think some assembly is required.

mattingham 03-30-2011 04:55 AM

The DLE 30cc calls for a minimum 3/8" firewall. The AW Extra 300's firewall is not that thick. There is an engine mount drilling guide that if attached to the firewall would bring the thickness up to 3/8". But the manual doesn't tell you to glue the drill guide to the firewall. You know the drill guide could have been made out of paper. Also the manual tells you to drill a 1/4 inch hole for the firewall mounting bolts but a smaller hole would pass the bolts.

Johnnyrocco123 04-15-2011 08:28 AM

I have one of these Extras new in a box. I am selling it for a great deal.

If interested, email me.

[email protected]

I live in Houston, TX

Prefer pickup. If shipped, buyer pays actual shipping cost after price of plane.

Thanks

TonyL 05-08-2011 10:51 AM

Anyone building one of these and/or flown it?? Interested but not much info out there in the real world.

rodney tanner 05-10-2011 04:41 PM

I saw an AW 30cc Edge maiden with a DLE 30cc at the club a couple of weeks back. Flew very well.
So, I will be ordering the Extra 300 to go along with my, nearly 3 year old - 250+ flights, AW Extra 260 75cc (DA 100L), which with routine maintenance and care is still like new and solid as a rock. IMHO other ARFs definitely show their age more after similar use. I am looking for mine to hold up for quite few a more seasons.

AW planes might build come out a tad heavier than some (easily fixable with carbon tubes and spinner) and yes the color designs were getting a bit conservative (now improved on their latest releases), but you really can't knock the overall quality and they fly near the top of their class for IMAC precision use. Which is what I am looking for in a plane.

Anyway back to the thread. Has anybody assembled and flown one yet? What are the best props for the DLE 30 - precision IMAC use. I am thinking 17x12/18x10 APC or Menz . Any thoughts?

TonyL 05-11-2011 05:54 PM

Rodney -

Thanks for the post. I am just getting back into the hobby after taking years off. Used to fly a H9 33% CAP. Really confusing on what 30cc bird to get. Aeroworks seems like a quality product. I am leaning towards pulling the trigger. Any chance the maiden displayed 3 D maneuvers or was he taking it easy? Also - did it float well on landings? My CAP was like a glider :).

rodney tanner 05-11-2011 07:06 PM

Tony
As you said, being the first flights on a new engine, he didn't push to hard. Landings looked as smooth as silk. I think you will find that most of the leading 30cc options, including AW, 3D pretty well. Mind you I am hardly a 3D expert. The closest I get to 3D is a one second hover before a stall turn :-)

Anyway, please keep posting on whatever you decide. It's always interesting to see the reactions of people coming back after a layoff. The advances in the hobby over the last ten or fifteen years, especially in gas powered IMAC aerobatic planes, has been pretty amazing and most of the airframe issues have been pretty well covered by the designers.

TonyL 05-12-2011 05:17 AM

Rodney-

Thanks. I will keep you posted. I will be looking for someone to build it for me (I live in Tampa, Fl). Go figure - it is a QB ARF and I still want someone to build for me - LOL. FYI - they have free shipping this week as a promotion. Around a $100 savings if you buy the plane and engine. I am curious how good the DLE30 is. The BME 100 I had in the CAP was stellar - no dead sticks and never missed a beat. I see mixed reviews out there - granted the rear carb may be more solid?? Anyway, I might pull the trigger tomorrow.

Tony

rodney tanner 05-13-2011 08:34 AM

Tony.

Sounds like a good deal from AW.
The only thing I send out is the cowl cutting. My efforts always end up a mess. (Dremel tool challenged??).
I managed the cowl for the twin, but a verticle single cylinder is still a challenge.

Other than that these things are really easy to assemble. Or you could always corral a flying buddy to help you.
The DLE rear carb version is definitely the way to go.
Good luck.

TonyL 05-13-2011 08:44 AM

Thanks Rodney. I will be calling them today

TonyL 05-13-2011 04:47 PM

I took the plunge today and ordered the 30cc 300 with the DLE. If anyone has bulit this bird and has any tips and recommendations - i am all ears. I am starting fresh - I have to order batteries, servos, wire harnesses, etc.

Thanks -

Tony

bemeson 05-15-2011 08:44 PM

Hey Tony
Check out the 30cc EDGE 540 build. I think you will find all the information you need. They are very similar planes.

Brian

TonyL 05-16-2011 04:31 AM

Brian-

Thanks. That is what I have been doing. Great looking bird you have. I cant wait to get mine. Did your Edge come with enough clear Monokote to seal the hinges? If so, did you seal both sides?

Tony

TonyL 06-08-2011 01:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Almost ready to put her in the air. Here are a couple of pics. Mark and Kim at Aeroworks have been great. I have been out of the hobby for quite some time and never built a Gas bird before. I used to fly a Hangar 9 33% with a BME100 in it but I bought it used. As you can imagine, I had a lot of questions. I talked to Mark the most and he was always patient and very helpful. I am sure a lot of my questions were basic and probably stupid! I am impressed with the quality of the plane. I am waiting on my spinner, prop, batteries, regulators and switches and then she will be ready to go.

Tony