RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Aeroworks Vendor Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aeroworks-vendor-forum-528/)
-   -   30cc Edge 540 build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aeroworks-vendor-forum-528/10157384-30cc-edge-540-build.html)

HelividD 12-30-2010 02:55 PM

RE: 30cc Edge 540 build

Whoo Hooo!!! I just found a plug! :-) :D:D:D

bemeson 12-30-2010 03:52 PM

I am glad you spoke with Mark at AW. He is great source of info and he knows what he is talking about. Like I previously told you breaking an engine on the ground in an airframe is bad. I ran one tank of fuel on the ground to get it to idle and transition properly then I finish the break in the air. I keep air running over the engine. No hovering. You check the temp of the motor with a pyrometer. Don't go over 185 degrees. If you do generally its too lean or air cooling is poor if you have a lot of noticeable burbling

Its not rocket science

Brian

RadioPhlyer 12-30-2010 04:32 PM

I get my plugs here. It's another option.

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/ho...052-56471.html

Randy

collectivepitch 12-31-2010 11:14 AM

ORIGINAL: brwilkins

I thought I'd share how my electrified version came out.

Here's my setup
Hacker A60-18M
Hacker X-80 Opto Pro 80A ESC
APC 24x13W prop (may switch to wood later)
Hobbycity el-cheapo lipos - 2 5S packs in series for 10S total
(all of the above connected using 10-12 gauge wire with 5.5mm bullets)
Castle Pro BEC (running off of the 10S flight packs)
Spektrum AR9100 receiver
Hyperion DS20-FMD servos

As you'll see in the pictures, I mounted the ESC right behind the firewall. With the included air scoops, cooling should be good. I used the Hacker cage mount for the motor and had to add a few washers to get the spacing right for the prop hub. The only other thing that I did was to build a small plate in to separate the lipos from the ESC.

I have a Pilot-RC 30cc SBach and am running this exact same setup. I've been very happy with that one, so I feel confident that it will work well in this one too.
Nice setup! What flight times are you getting? plenty of power?

brwilkins 12-31-2010 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: collectivepitch

I thought I'd share how my electrified version came out.

Here's my setup
Hacker A60-18M
Hacker X-80 Opto Pro 80A ESC
APC 24x13W prop (may switch to wood later)
Hobbycity el-cheapo lipos - 2 5S packs in series for 10S total
(all of the above connected using 10-12 gauge wire with 5.5mm bullets)
Castle Pro BEC (running off of the 10S flight packs)
Spektrum AR9100 receiver
Hyperion DS20-FMD servos

As you'll see in the pictures, I mounted the ESC right behind the firewall. With the included air scoops, cooling should be good. I used the Hacker cage mount for the motor and had to add a few washers to get the spacing right for the prop hub. The only other thing that I did was to build a small plate in to separate the lipos from the ESC.

I have a Pilot-RC 30cc SBach and am running this exact same setup. I've been very happy with that one, so I feel confident that it will work well in this one too.
Nice setup! What flight times are you getting? plenty of power?

I haven't flown the Edge yet, but since it's the same setup as my SBach, I'm getting 9-10 minutes running off of 5800MAh packs. Tons of power. My SBach weighs about a pound more than this Edge and it takes off in about 5 feet. I'm sure this one will do the same. I have to wait until the snow thaws to find out for sure though. :-)

bemeson 12-31-2010 07:54 PM

Here are.the long awaited flight videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxbaDp26FIA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w4NBj3WA_0

Brian

airborne2.4 01-01-2011 03:49 AM

HAPPY NEW YEAR:D

HelividD 01-01-2011 10:20 AM

Yes, it was primarily cooling he was concerned about and not really the airframe, as he and I both figured that it could take it.  I actually yesterday, decided to do some investigation, as the last run on the engine, my throttle cut would not allow the engine to cut off, and that the rpm of the idle was high after the motor had warmed. I also noticed that the engine would not settle down as I wished it to.  So, I checked the needles and my low end needed richening.  The funny thing is, that, just like a glow motor(and probably any other motor), after I richened the low end, the idle settled nicely, I was able to relax my ATV's, power increased dramatically(like scary dramatically... LOL), the soot went away,  and the throttle cut was beautifully instant.  There was a small amount of soot, but nothing like previously. <div>
</div><div>  As a side note, the motor never got over 176 as I was trying to set up the low end, so I was thrilled. Being inquisitive as I am, I also checked 3W, DA, Evolution and other mfg's instruction manuals for the breaking in and setup of their engines, as I had read in other threads and been told by a sponsored pilot to basically, educate myself on the differences of the engine setups and also, if I was going to begin to do gas for my planes, that, just like glow, a good understanding(however, there is nothing like experience) of how they are different in their running and requirements, not to mention that I also scoured the forum for information on these and other engines.  I learned much just by doing that, and for anyone just getting into gas, that is a great suggestion.  I also checked Amsoil's site, NGK, Champion, Toro, LawnBoy and a few other sites on their lubricants and products for small gasoline engines.  It was very interesting and fun indeed. But my needle setting session, was after that, so I am sure that this influenced much of what I was doing<div>
</div><div> It's a possibility that someone at the hobby shop had done a little fiddling with the needles, so all is well now.  I also found that the threadlock I had used on the cowl, needed to be replaced with "liquid" locker, as I had used the gel type.  However, all is corrected now. I also found CM6 plugs locally at a very inexpensive(Thanks Radio for the links!  I actually found them cheaper than that, which was a complete shock to me) price and picked up four as to have plenty, so she is all set, gapped, locked and just awaiting the order of my spinner. I am really hoping that this winter is not a long one. The only thing I need to figure out now, is the oil I am going to use when I switch to synthetic, but I will do more investigation on that. I would like to find a Castrol product, as that is my favorite oil, but I also saw some use some type of "red" something. Actually, while typing this, I found the Castrol Power RS TTS 2T<span style="font-size: 11px; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); "> </span></div></div><div>
</div><div>This is off topic, but back to the plane.. LOL, I actually have read the manuals and looked at the videos of the larger sized of the plane.  It was extremely easy to build as far as I am concerned.  It is extremely light weight, but sturdy, almost to a fear of how this thing is going to perform with this engine as powerful as it is.  It is going to be very interesting indeed, as I think it is, as someone put it going to be one of those "the engine yanks the plane around" type of scenerios.  </div><div>
</div><div>The electric setup should be interesting to say the least. </div><div>
</div><div>And Bemeson, your second video is showing as a non compatable Youtube format, so I could not view that one.  But on the first, your plane looked like it runs nice and smooth. Actually, after clicking on you in Youtube, I was able to view it.  </div>

brwilkins 01-01-2011 11:02 AM

I just weighed my electric (Hacker) setup and it weighs 13.6 lbs ready to fly with 5800MAh lipos installed. That works out to about 220 watts/lb, which is pretty good. The "CG Buddy" tells me that it's just a tiny bit nose heavy. I'll probably fly it as-is the first few times and then rearrange things a bit if it looks like it needs it. I could also switch to 5000MAh packs and that would probably be just enough to balance it perfectly.

The weather in northern Illinois means that I probably won't get to maiden it for a couple of months yet.

collectivepitch 01-02-2011 06:33 AM

I just weighed my electric (Hacker) setup and it weighs 13.6 lbs ready to fly with 5800MAh lipos installed. That works out to about 220 watts/lb, which is pretty good. The ''CG Buddy'' tells me that it's just a tiny bit nose heavy. I'll probably fly it as-is the first few times and then rearrange things a bit if it looks like it needs it. I could also switch to 5000MAh packs and that would probably be just enough to balance it perfectly.

The weather in northern Illinois means that I probably won't get to maiden it for a couple of months yet.
I'm really interested on how it flies. I just purchased a Hacker motor for my electric Edge build. Are you running a battery just for the electronics? This will be my first electric plane build. I'm kinda nervous!

brwilkins 01-02-2011 07:58 AM

I just weighed my electric (Hacker) setup and it weighs 13.6 lbs ready to fly with 5800MAh lipos installed. That works out to about 220 watts/lb, which is pretty good. The ''CG Buddy'' tells me that it's just a tiny bit nose heavy. I'll probably fly it as-is the first few times and then rearrange things a bit if it looks like it needs it. I could also switch to 5000MAh packs and that would probably be just enough to balance it perfectly.

I'm really interested on how it flies. I just purchased a Hacker motor for my electric Edge build. Are you running a battery just for the electronics? This will be my first electric plane build. I'm kinda nervous!
On this plane, I'm running a BEC that's powered off of the flight packs. I've done electric planes both ways and I prefer to not run separate batteries for the servos if I can, to cut down on weight. A Castle Creations Pro BEC is very light and I have it soldered directly into the bullet connectors that go to the lipos. This doesn't work on setups larger than 10S though, as the BEC is only rated up to 10S. So on my larger planes (12S setups), I have to either run a separate battery for the receiver/servos or I have to put a tap between the two large lipos so that I'm feeding 6S to the BEC and 12S to the ESC/motor.

Which Hacker motor did you get?

I'm one of those guys that tried gas engines and just found that they weren't for me. Last year I had 3 separate 30% size planes with DA-50's in them (everyone told me that if I wanted a gas motor that just worked with no fuss, DA was the way to go). At first I liked them really well, but after break-in, I found that I was never really happy with needle settings. Either they were running too rich and seemed to sound bad and choking for power, or they were too lean and getting hot. I had a bunch of guys at my local flying field help me with them, but I couldn't get used to the idea that as the weather changed I had to keep tinkering with needle settings. With my electrics, I just plugged them in and flew. They worked or they didn't, very simple. So, I sold two of my 30%'ers and converted the other one to electric. The one that I converted from a DA-50 to a Hacker A60L flew almost exactly the same, but with a little less flight time and it was much quieter (which is both good and bad). For me, electric is the way to go and I like flying them, but I still respect those guys who fly gas. It's just not my thing.

tom2bell 01-02-2011 08:36 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30WggxsB0
30cc flight and landing

brwilkins 01-02-2011 08:48 AM

ORIGINAL: tom2bell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30WggxsB0
30cc flight and landing

I was looking forward to watching the video, but it doesn't seem to work. YouTube says "The URL contained a malformed video ID."

tom2bell 01-02-2011 08:51 AM

I reuploaded the video it seem to work on the u-tube page but here it is agan

brwilkins 01-02-2011 08:55 AM

ORIGINAL: tom2bell

I reuploaded the video it seem to work on the u-tube page but here it is agan
Working fine now. Great flight! Looks like it flies like a foamy! Did you notice any coupling in knife-edge? It looked like it was tracking pretty straight.

bemeson 01-02-2011 09:14 AM

Thanks Tom for re posting it. I tried last night to correct it, but I could not get it right.

bemeson 01-02-2011 02:05 PM

Brwilkins
It was my plane flown by Mark Dennis of Aero-Works. I don't believe it took much coupling and I can tell you there was no mix programed in the transmitter. Mark spent two minutes looking at my programming which was exactly as what was suggested in AW manuel. The plane was slightly nose heavy for security and the prop was a 19X7 Xoar. I flew the airplane just prior to the filming and I can say the plane flies like its on rails. It took very little trim and it was flying straight and true. The plane has tons of power on a DLE 30 motor that had two tanks of fuel ran threw it prior to this flight.

I will fly the plane more in the next few weeks if the weather cooperates. I am sure you will be happy with the plane because I know I am. It flys very light and agile. By the way Tom Bell took the video of the flight due to the fact I do not have a camera that makes posting easy.

Brian

collectivepitch 01-02-2011 03:13 PM

I bought a A60-16m. I bought it used. It was sent to the factory for a look over and new bearings. I should receive it this week hopefully. This plane is going to be a slow winter build.

brwilkins 01-02-2011 04:15 PM

I bought a A60-16m. I bought it used. It was sent to the factory for a look over and new bearings. I should receive it this week hopefully. This plane is going to be a slow winter build.
That'll be a good motor for this plane. I think you'll be happy with the performance. If you haven't already got a motor mount, I suggest the Hacker cage mount. It has bearings in the back to support the shaft so the motor is secured on both ends. that's what I used and the cowl fit perfect over it. Take a look at the pictures I posted and you'll see that I had to add some washers on the firewall to get the prop nut at the right length though.

Good luck with it. Keep us posted on your progress!

collectivepitch 01-02-2011 05:47 PM

That'll be a good motor for this plane. I think you'll be happy with the performance. If you haven't already got a motor mount, I suggest the Hacker cage mount. It has bearings in the back to support the shaft so the motor is secured on both ends. that's what I used and the cowl fit perfect over it. Take a look at the pictures I posted and you'll see that I had to add some washers on the firewall to get the prop nut at the right length though.

Glad to here that about the motor! The motor comes with a mount just not sure what type. I have looked at your pics a couple of times. I like the setup. I hope to order the plane sometime this week. I still have servo,esc,bec, etc to buy.

brwilkins 01-02-2011 06:57 PM

Glad to here that about the motor! The motor comes with a mount just not sure what type. I have looked at your pics a couple of times. I like the setup. I hope to order the plane sometime this week. I still have servo,esc,bec, etc to buy.

Something else to consider, since you haven't got your ESC yet, is the dreaded "spark". If you've never connected 10S or 12S to an ESC before, it makes quite a pop. If you go with a Castle Creations, they claim that the spark is fine, no problem, other than it makes you want to wear gloves when you connect your packs. Some of the Jeti and Hacker ESC's have an anti-spark circuit where you connect a small red wire to your packs first and then it doesn't spark when you connect the lipos. I'm not recommending one over the other (I actually have both in various planes), just wanted to give you food for thought.

If you have any trouble / questions about ESC's, or whatever, feel free to PM me. I don't want to hijack the thread with electric talk. :-)

collectivepitch 01-03-2011 07:19 AM

Thanks for the PM. I have heard the spark popping noise. I will look into those ESC'S. Now back to the builds!:D

tripower222 01-03-2011 09:21 AM

That spark is just the caps charging no big deal. If you like, hook it up through a 1 or 2 ohm resister briefly before conecting it it will not spark so much.

brwilkins 01-03-2011 09:31 AM

ORIGINAL: tripower222

That spark is just the caps charging no big deal. If you like, hook it up through a 1 or 2 ohm resister briefly before conecting it it will not spark so much.
I agree that it shouldn't be a big deal. However, I do find it a little unnerving. It's more than a little pop. It's more like a big POW. LOL! I guess the other thing that makes me jump a little is that when I've connected my two lipos in series, I have (a couple of times) inadvertently connected one pack to itself instead of + on one to - on the other pack like it's supposed to be. When that happens, it turns into an interesting welding experiment where the bullet connectors usually get melted, fingers get burned, etc. Knowing that it can happen, and even though I'm extremely careful, that pop still bothers me. The other thing that I've heard is that the spark can cause build-up on the connectors over time which can cause them connectivity issues. The heli guys apparently see this happen with some frequency.

tripower222 01-03-2011 09:57 AM

I agree it can't be good for the connector. I was just trying to let whoever know you could use a resistor to prevent the spark if you wanted to do it cheaply, rather than purchasing the item you spoke of. I not familiar with the gadget it may be cheap and not worth messing with the resistor.