RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Aeroworks Vendor Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aeroworks-vendor-forum-528/)
-   -   Aeroworks 50cc Extra 300 QB - All Up Weight? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aeroworks-vendor-forum-528/11644933-aeroworks-50cc-extra-300-qb-all-up-weight.html)

HunkaJunk 02-20-2018 05:30 PM

Aeroworks 50cc Extra 300 QB - All Up Weight?

Hi, I recently put my 50cc Aeroworks Extra 300 QB together that I have had in the sealed box for a couple years now. I'm sure it will fly great but I wasn't real happy with the final weight. I spent a lot of time positioning things to balance perfectly without any ballast weight at all. I'm wondering what yours weighs and the kind of performance you are seeing?

The dry weight of the plane is 18 lbs. 2 oz. Takeoff weight with all fluids full is 20 lbs. 8-10 oz (it was windy when I weighed this). The DLE 55RA with a Xoar 22X8 pulls nearly 24 lb of static thrust on the first tank of 93 octane (alcohol free) with 32:1 Lawnboy ash-less (per DLE manual). The engine RPM is 6830 (rich from a peak RPM of 7020). Altitude 5500 ft ASL.

The smoke pump battery is bigger than it needs to be, once I get a feel for the plane, I'll change it to a much smaller one to make a small CG change to the AFT.
Any Thoughts?

My plane specs are:
DLE 55RA
DLE rear exit canister muffler w/smoke tap
Savox SV-1270TG on all control surfaces
Hitec HV Standard throttle servo
Sullivan Skywriter smoke pump
2 x 2550 2S Lipo RX packs
1X 3S 1000ma Lipo for smoke pump
Tech-Aero IBEC (eliminates ignition battery)
1X AR 8000 RX (all 8 channels used)
800cc gas tank (kit supplied)
450cc smoke tank (kit supplied)

daveopam 03-01-2018 01:05 PM

Mine came in at 17.5lbs dry. I used a DA-60 on mine with Pitts style muffler. I never checked the thrust but is had no problem with unlimited vertical. I never had a smoke system in it so that is probably why the difference in weight. I do use a big sub C 5 cell NiCad for the ignition. To get the CG at the AFT end of the range my ignition pack is just behind the rudder servo. With a 1/2 tank of fuel or less I have to push the nose down on final or it will balloon a little. But it will nearly land its self with the power 2 clicks over idle. It is VERY stable. Iv'e had the CG further forward but prefer it back. At my current setting inverted flight is hands off. Knife edge takes 1% of up ELEV to knife edge right wing down and 2% left wing down. Neither direction needs and AILE input. We are only 2,000ASL here so that's gonna hurt you a little.
Only negative on this bird. It will snap right 90 degrees with a lot of ELEV and low power.( I fly with a bunch of throw) It's manageable and stops after the 90 degree roll.(at least mine does). Also don't try and crawl it in on final. Keep those two clicks above idle or the bottom will fall out. Mine does not tip stall but will pancake the gear.

Best of luck! Post back how you like it.
David

daveopam 03-01-2018 01:09 PM

Forgot to mention. I use a Xoar 20x10 on the DA. I don't know any RPM numbers but it only sees full power with the nose up anyway. Think about going up on your pitch and down on the length for a little better spool up.

David

HunkaJunk 03-18-2018 11:41 AM

I put 4 flights on it this weekend, I was pleased with the results so far. The 22x8 prop spools up plenty fast enough for my style of flying, The CG is a little aft and I found I also have to hold the nose down on final, which is right about where I want it for spirited aerobatic flight, it tumbles and flat spins really nice. Unlimited vertical and pulls through big air loops nicely.

rcmichael 04-08-2022 07:54 AM

If you need it lighter, you only have limited options. Remove the smoke system and canister muffler( if it doesn't add power).Lighter tires and landing gear.