RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Aeroworks Vendor Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aeroworks-vendor-forum-528/)
-   -   Aero Works P-51? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/aeroworks-vendor-forum-528/8090391-aero-works-p-51-a.html)

ottrod 11-25-2008 10:44 PM

RE: Aero Works P-51?

ORIGINAL: Mark Dennis

One more picture of the New P-51 here you can clearly see the functional and pre-installed inner gear doors.
That is soooo sweet!

Just as I fully commit to aerobatic and 3D, you pull this one on me! I have always wanted to do a big P-51......and now there is no excuse not to - well, except for paying for ANOTHER plane!

Great job on developing a great product - I can't wait to see a build thread on this one!

Keith

Whistling Death 11-28-2008 02:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Mark Dennis

We have not yet set a price, the plane will come with robart main and tail retracts installed along with all of the actuators. Those alone are close to 700.00 if bought separately. We are looking at a price of 1495-1695. The airplane will be a full QB just like the rest of the Aeroworks airplanes.
$700.00? Does that include some Glennis wheels or something?

Billybuck 11-30-2008 05:56 AM

Ideas on servos (main control surfaces, retracts), extensions, etc?

bodywerks 12-02-2008 06:04 AM

I just looked at the retracts required for the Topflite P-51 as a comparison:
Robart #622-5 retracts $293
#160LWC tailwheel $147
#157VRX air kit $84
$10 in extra line
$9 in extra couplers

That's only about $550, so maybe these are the air-up, spring down retracts, which would be SWEET. Otherwise, maybe Mark could elaborate on where the $700 figure comes from...

DLEVETT 12-02-2008 06:24 AM

Another consideration is the main wheel bay doors are also air activated.
The cost for the small air cylinders also needs to be taken into accont. They account for another $50-$75 so we are getting closer.

Dave

Sukhoi4Me 12-02-2008 08:03 AM

Really does it matter? Its an Aeroworks, its a QB, and it looks damn fine!

quist 12-02-2008 10:53 AM

ORIGINAL: bodywerks

I just looked at the retracts required for the Topflite P-51 as a comparison:
Robart #622-5 retracts $293
#160LWC tailwheel $147
#157VRX air kit $84
$10 in extra line
$9 in extra couplers

That's only about $550, so maybe these are the air-up, spring down retracts, which would be SWEET. Otherwise, maybe Mark could elaborate on where the $700 figure comes from...
You also have to include 3 extra air cylinders to run the gear doors, plus the valve to run them.

bodywerks 12-02-2008 11:01 PM

Oh, yeah. Forgot that the Aeroworks includes sequenced doors. I'd say $700 is a pretty close guestimate, then.

GPutt33 12-30-2008 11:09 PM

Ok Guys - Anything new on this gorgeous bird you can let us in on:D Can't wait to see some more specs and ideas....... Still looking like a possible boat in March or April ??

Any of you guys thinking about power plants yet? I've only got one gasser so far (AW Yak-54 90-120 QB), so I'll be really interested to see what the rest of you come up with.

Ferocious Frankie 12-30-2008 11:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'd like to see the "Gunfighter" sceme on this.

Aero-Works 12-31-2008 06:52 PM

Gregg,

Thank you for your great comments and interest in our P-51. We are still working on the prototype and hope to have it completed shortly. We will have the Mustang on display at the AMA Convention in January and will test fly it soon after. If all goes well with the first test flights the plane will go into production and we will be able to meet the expected April delivery date. This is a big project for Aeroworks and we have put allot of time into this model to make it the best we possible can.

Sample specifications
Wing Span 86”
Ready to fly weight 22 pounds
Engine DA50cc

If you will be attending the AMA convention please stop buy our both to take a look at the Mustang.

Thank You
Rocco / Aeroworks

DLEVETT 12-31-2008 07:43 PM

Thanks for getting back to all of us Rocco.
I have just one request, please relocate the stab to a more scale location.
The stab on the model would require to be raised somewhat to meet the scale warbird enthusiast needs.
The pics released thus far would look similar to the Topflite stab location on there kit.
The scale model accesory manufacturers have since released a scale stab relocation kit to meet this requirement.
Just a thought as I can almosst guarntee you this will be noted and discussed at length if no changes are made.
Looking forward to getting mine, I,m on the list for a ARC version.

Dave

Aero-Works 01-01-2009 09:11 AM

Dave,

The stabs are removable for easier transport and to help make any necessary repairs if ever needed to the model.

I will revisit the mounting location and see what I can do

Thank you for your comments

Rocco / Aeroworks

SKYPILOT 01-04-2009 12:53 AM

Hi Rocco,

Can't wait to see the Mustang at the show next wknd., and you can already count me in on a ARC version. I do have a question though. Wing, One piece-two-three? Will just the tips remove so it will travel on it's wheels? Whatever you do is fine with me.

My 50cc Yak QB is still going strong, and i'm entering my first IMAC with it in a couple wks., Can't wait:D See you and Mark at the show[sm=thumbup.gif]

Aero-Works 01-04-2009 11:58 AM

Scott,

The wing is a one-piece design. The plane will come with pneumatic retracts fully installed with inner and outer doors and even a retractable tail wheel with doors. It will also feature a sliding canopy!

Looking forward to seeing you in Ca.

Rocco / Aeroworks

SKYPILOT 01-04-2009 11:16 PM

[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

Can't Wait:D

InboundLZ 01-13-2009 01:39 PM

Hi Rocco,

Saw the Mustang at the AMA and I am impressed. I would like to stress again how important it is to have the highest quality landing gear on this effort. As I indicated, gear problems suck! My experience with Robart has been poor at best (and I am being kind). I have several very high dollar turbine models and there is no way in hell I would put robart in them.

So, if you are staying with the robart option, can she be purchased without the gear?

I do remember you saying that you might be looking to Sky Master to supply the gear, that would be a perfectly acceptable replacement for robart.

Please Advise.

InboundLZ 01-16-2009 12:29 PM

Anybody home?????????

Billybuck 01-16-2009 05:16 PM

I think most are just waiting for Aeroworks to post some onfo on there site. Give the overall specs and suggestions for servos, etc. Wait and see at this point. I do believe this P-51 will be better than most on the market to date.

Aero-Works 01-16-2009 05:33 PM

Hello,

At this point we are still working out which gear will be used for the production. I assure you the best possible product will be used.

The plane will be offered in ARF and ARC versions I am still looking into the possibilities of offering the option of purchasing it without the gear.

We have finished the prototype and will begin the flight testing next week. If all goes well with the test flights the plane will go into production very soon.

Lets hope for the best!

Thank You
Rocco Mariani
Aeroworks

Billybuck 01-17-2009 12:34 AM

Thanks Rocco

Maybe we will get a little video after the test flights, if all goes well, that would be cool.

zzw26n 01-22-2009 12:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Aero-Works

Hello,

At this point we are still working out which gear will be used for the production. I assure you the best possible product will be used.

The plane will be offered in ARF and ARC versions I am still looking into the possibilities of offering the option of purchasing it without the gear.

We have finished the prototype and will begin the flight testing next week. If all goes well with the test flights the plane will go into production very soon.

Lets hope for the best!

Thank You
Rocco Mariani
Aeroworks

I hope it Flys better then expected!

hollowman 01-24-2009 04:40 AM

I here some people say that its a fiber glass fuse. is that true???

Billybuck 01-24-2009 10:53 AM

No!

The fuse is built up balsa and ply just like our other planes. The plane is fully sheeted so there are no former lines.

Aero-Works 01-24-2009 12:40 PM

First test flight is finally over we flew the P-51 on Thursday. All I can say is AWSOME! It was exciting to see this beautiful plane in the air. After over 25 years of flying mostly aerobatic planes it was a rush to experience the thrill of flying the P-51 Mustang.

The plane handled great on the ground and was smooth and stable in the air. With only two clicks of right aileron trim needed the first flight was better then expected. I throttled up for take off the plane rolled out 20 feet, tail lifted and the plane tracked straight down the runway. It stayed glued to the runway until I pulled slightly on the elevator stick then she lifted gently into the air. With a 22 pound flying weight and a DA 50 for power it had excellent performance.

After a few passes and getting a feel for the plane I felt completely in control and comfortable with it. After a few more passes I tried different maneuvers with it like barrel rolls and loops it was a pleasure to fly. Very light on the wing with NO tendencies to snap or roll out of anything.

After a few minutes of flight the unthinkable happened (Especially with a WarBird) A DEAD STICK! I couldn’t believe it but the engine quite and I had to make a dead stick landing with an untested, first flight mustang that I had over two years invested in not only time but also money. Simply I was a nervous wreck!

But it worked out for the best I was able to test the flight characteristics of the plane at full power and at NO power. I turned and headed for the runway the plane was a long way out and I didn’t think it was going to be pretty. I held the heading of the plane straight down the runway and made sure the stab was higher then the wing and wished for the best. The plane settle in like a TRAINER and never even dropped a wing tip. Unfortunately, I was to far out to make the nicely paved runway and the plane settled in out in the open field over a hill out of sight (rough grass, weeds, dirt) you get the picture.

We took the long walk to pick up the plane not knowing what to expect but when we got there it was in perfect condition not a scratch. The Robart main gears were bent back from the hit but the gear mount in the wing was in perfect condition.

So even though I was not expecting or wanting a dead stick on the first flight it was a great test for the strength of the plane and gear mount. We will get the gear fixed and fly the plane more soon

I am certain this plane will be a winner

Thanks for everyones support and comments on the Mustang
Rocco / Aeroworks