Airplanes - Full Scale Discuss full scale airplanes here

R.I.P Midwest Flight 105

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 03:45 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R.I.P Midwest Flight 105

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwest...nes_Flight_105I was browsing wikipedia and i found this under plane crashes. RIP all on Flight 105.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:40 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: R.I.P Midwest Flight 105

That was a long time ago. Periodically a big deal is made of the lack of stick and rudder skills in the airline industry. This accident was much like the mishandling of Air France and Colgan Air of the last couple of years.
Chris...
Old 09-06-2011, 07:48 PM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

I remember that crash well living in Milwaukee. For many years after the crash ( the plane crashed in a nature preserve) Dogs would find human bones.
That was the only crash Midwest ever had. It has since been taken over by Fronter.

Chris923
Old 09-07-2011, 02:31 PM
collector1231

ORIGINAL: stuntflyr

That was a long time ago. Periodically a big deal is made of the lack of stick and rudder skills in the airline industry. This accident was much like the mishandling of Air France and Colgan Air of the last couple of years.
Chris...
Sorry stuntflyr. I was looking for things that happened september 6 and this came up, and i wanted to share it.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:21 PM
stuntflyr

No sweat. It fits into what is happening today, and everyone needs a reminder every once in a while.
Chris...
Old 10-21-2011, 09:00 PM
zope_pope

RIP..

They haven't been taken over by Frontier, but by Republic Airways... It is really sad to see the legacy of Midwest replaced by Embraer Regional Jets with those flying them barely making ends meet. Look up the ERJ-170/190 wage for the FO. Then figure they only fly 1000 hours a year. Tough business I suppose.

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/a.../republic.html
Old 11-22-2011, 11:43 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

There have been more than 50 accidents in the last 5 years attributed to the crew mishandling flight controls and otherwise placing flyable aircraft in jeopardy and coming to grief. A sad state of affairs.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:44 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a good friend that was the pilot of a Navion that crashed shortly after takeoff. The NTSB determined that one of the propeller blade pitch arms failed allowing the one blade to go to flat pitch. In essence, he had a full throttle power failure.

He and his passengers survived a landing on a riverbank with impacts on small trees.

His statement that I will ALWAYS remember; "Tom, they teach it and they teach it, but the damned hardest thing I've ever done was to keep pushing forward on that wheel when I knew all we could do was hit the forest."

Unless you've been there and seen what the pilot saw out the window, you'll never know what caused him to do what he did.

Good news out of an accident, on 27 passengers were on board, there could have been 72.

Also the DC-9-series 10/14/15 is the "hard' leading edge family of the DC-9's there are no leading edge slats to improve low speed handling.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Nl28431.pdf (1.51 MB, 56 views)
Old 11-23-2011, 08:16 AM
eddieC

DC-9's have geared tabs and control tabs, MD-80's add an anti-floattab. One busy trailing edge!
About half-way down:

http://www.airlinercafe.com/page.php?id=396
Old 11-23-2011, 11:13 PM
hando8031

I'd like to shed some light on the crash of Midwest flight 105. The captain of that fatal crash was the father of my wife. At the time, her mother was 7 months pregnant with her. There are some things about that crash that many people do not know. NTSB stated that it was pilot error yet they failed to mentioned a very important point. They claim pilot error to avoid paying out any insurance to the families. *******s! What was happening back then was horrible in terms of the maintenance of the planes. About seven years after the accident my mother in-law had met a commercial airplane mechanic. She had shown him the reports by the NTSB and any associated documents. Upon reading the reports he had said that it was bull****, that they say what they say to save their asses. No crew alive...who's there to disagree with the investigation?. What was found out, ( Dateline episode in '92 or '93 ) was that when the turbines were disassemble for PM's, parts were sent out to sub-contrators for refurbishing or repairs, was that when they came in they would simply remove the old tag and replace it with a tag showing that it was repaired and send it back out to the airlines. With the engine on the DC-9 there was a ring that was sent to be repaired, it was full of hairline cracks that those *******s should of found and replaced tthe ring with a new one, but in order to save costs and keep up efficiencies they simply do a quick visual inspection and mark it as "good". And it is because of those murders that the engine had failed. If they had done there job, there would have been no issues. At the time of the Dateline episode, the supervisor of the shop where the parts were sent out to be repaired quit his job and was not available for questioning. Yet, other workers had come out to say what was really going on. During the crash clean up it was noted that Captain Danny Martin's right arm was severed at the elbow and his hand was tightly gripping the controls. He struggled to save the plane with all he had.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:23 AM
collector1231

ORIGINAL: hando8031

I'd like to shed some light on the crash of Midwest flight 105. The captain of that fatal crash was the father of my wife. At the time, her mother was 7 months pregnant with her. There are some things about that crash that many people do not know. NTSB stated that it was pilot error yet they failed to mentioned a very important point. They claim pilot error to avoid paying out any insurance to the families. *******s! What was happening back then was horrible in terms of the maintenance of the planes. About seven years after the accident my mother in-law had met a commercial airplane mechanic. She had shown him the reports by the NTSB and any associated documents. Upon reading the reports he had said that it was bull****, that they say what they say to save their asses. No crew alive...who's there to disagree with the investigation?. What was found out, ( Dateline episode in '92 or '93 ) was that when the turbines were disassemble for PM's, parts were sent out to sub-contrators for refurbishing or repairs, was that when they came in they would simply remove the old tag and replace it with a tag showing that it was repaired and send it back out to the airlines. With the engine on the DC-9 there was a ring that was sent to be repaired, it was full of hairline cracks that those *******s should of found and replaced tthe ring with a new one, but in order to save costs and keep up efficiencies they simply do a quick visual inspection and mark it as "good". And it is because of those murders that the engine had failed. If they had done there job, there would have been no issues. At the time of the Dateline episode, the supervisor of the shop where the parts were sent out to be repaired quit his job and was not available for questioning. Yet, other workers had come out to say what was really going on. During the crash clean up it was noted that Captain Danny Martin's right arm was severed at the elbow and his hand was tightly gripping the controls. He struggled to save the plane with all he had.
Wow, thar's a real in-depth story. Thank you for this post and information.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:52 PM
eddieC

Great post, hando. Unfortunately, many U.S. airlines still farm out to inferior subcontractors.

The TSA was created to insulate the airlines from lawsuits. Legislation was passed within 3 days of 9/11 removing the airlines from liability, similar to the TARP 'emergency' protecting Wall street and the banks. Money runs this country, simply disgraceful!
Old 02-23-2012, 04:34 PM
tcdoug

I have a friend who was on the flight from Madison to Milwaukee and was supposed to go on to Atlanta.

The pilot told him some disturbing information regarding the plane and the right engine - and my friend got off.

He has never been interviewed.

The wife of the pilot wrote a book called Crash of Flight 105.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:37 PM
collector1231

ORIGINAL: tcdoug

I have a friend who was on the flight from Madison to Milwaukee and was supposed to go on to Atlanta.

The pilot told him some disturbing information regarding the plane and the right engine - and my friend got off.

He has never been interviewed.

The wife of the pilot wrote a book called Crash of Flight 105.

Wow! Now THAT is nearly dodging a bullet! P.S, is the book at any book stores like Barnes and Nobles? I might want to read it.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:51 PM
tcdoug

Here is the book URL

http://www.hiddenbrookpress.com/Book-crash.html

I'm going to buy it.

The information that was given to my friend PROVESthat there was knowledge about the right engine problems
BEFOREtake off. I cannot imagine that the pilot (Martin) did not share his concerns with maintenance.

Many mistakes were made - but I do not believe they were made by the pilot.

There was one person on the review board who disagreed with the findings that the pilot was the main reason for the
crash. I'm hoping that through our efforts - we can get the pilot cleared.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:50 PM
stuntflyr

You guys ought to be reporters for Nightline and 20/20!
Chris...
Old 02-23-2012, 07:12 PM
tcdoug

Dateline or 20/20 did do a story almost 20 years ago.

I can't find the video on the net.

But NOONE- not even the FAAinteviewed my friend who got off the plane.

He is the only survivor of that flight - by getting off of it.

He rented a car and drove home. Everyone thought he was dead until he showed up at home in Cleveland
many hours later. This was 1985 - way before the days of cell phones and instant communication.

He is a radio broadcasting icon. Was a big deal even back then.

Still odd that he was never interviewed.

My friend did not know there was a controversy regarding the crash until I found the book on line last year.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:24 AM
eddieC

If he's a well-known radio personality, perhaps share his name then?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:35 PM
hando8031

I'd like to clear something up here. One of the replies (tcdoug), goes on to say that he has a friend that never flew do to what the Captain stated. I would just like to say that there was a crew change in Milwaukee. So the Captain that would of stated that would have been the one getting off the plane. Captain Danny Martin came onto the plane with his crew. An interesting thing that occurred numerous times at Midwest head office was the fact that employee's would see a Captain walking around the halls, whistling "strangers in the night", he was a big Sinatra fan, and no one could ever find where he had went.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Cmss

My father was killed on this crash. It was 4 days before my 9th birthday. My family was told at the time that there were parts of the faulty engine on the runway after takeoff and that there was a maintenance person that signed off on the checklist without actually doing the check because the flight was running really late.

I didn't learn of the accusation of pilot error until well into my adulthood when I did an online search on the crash, and came across an official document.

I do not believe it was pilot error.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:57 PM
collector1231

Wow! You need to tell the FAA about that. The people in this thread are amazing!
Old 01-15-2014, 09:50 PM
hando8031

Even if this information was given to the FAA, they would not listen. As far as they are concerned this is a closed case...pilot error and that's that. One of the things that gets to me is that when the NTSB puts pilots into a simulator and re-create the event are they (pilots) aware of the accident? Hindsight is always 20/20. If they were actually in the plane when it lost power and was essentially spun due to the force of the engine explosion and were only 700-800 feet of the ground...would they save the plane? If anything, if this accident opened their eyes to holes in the system and it saved one plane from crashing than I guess it did something good for someone and brought someone home safely to their family. 1985 is still the worst year for aviation disasters! I geuss there were alot of "bad pilots" around then.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:52 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are a lot of factors! Supposedly the plane can continue and takeoff on one engine if things are done correctly. A problem can be when the A/C is at full gross, and there are obstructions at the end of the runway.

I would say that many of the ATR and commercial pilots fly by the numbers, and only as an afterthought pay attention to what the plane is trying to tell them.